Mountain Lion - A 1 month Review

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by TheMightyS, Aug 25, 2012.

Share This Page

1. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

Like any ardent apple fanboi , i was anticipating the launch of Mountain Lion right from the day Gold Master(Google it or will tell in some other post) came out.

Os X lion had set the benchmark way higher than any other operating system in the recent past. Multi tasking was fun to use. Transition from one to other app was easy as taking a pie from a kid and so expectations were huge from the next iteration of the series.. But being a realist i knew there was not much to work on at the moment.. They did make some really appreciable additions, but nothing that can be described as PHENOMENAL.. The some major changes made are

Notification Center

Its smthn Mac borrowed from its sister os-the iOS with the notification of all enabled apps sliding in from the side on clicking it on the status bar icon

iCloud integration

Something not so useful for the general public but utilitarian for someone who uses multiple machines and has trouble syncing minor things.. it takes everything to the cloud

Notes & Reminders

Again something utilitarian for people using an iPhone / iPod or an iPad as it syncs over all ur notes and reminders automatically

Dictation

For the lazy azzes like me who at tyms find it too boring to type.. though u have to fine tune the accent problem once.. but then this tool comes in nifty

A fabulous feature in my opinion was messages as it enabled you to communicate with any iDevice on the planet.. send pictures and do what not.. came in very handy getting ideas from every1 during the recent scrapbook thing

Airplay Mirroring

Another nifty feature that has been taken from the dumps and hyped into something extraordinary.. typical apple trait .. it does come in handy when I am sitting in my office with some nice movie going on with no work to do and I immediately switch to a bigger screen !!!

Sharing

Good for people who share information a lot .. u can directly share webpages from the new Safari

Security and Privacy Settings

While the new security and privacy settings in OS X aren't the most flashy or exciting features, there are some important and interesting things worth noting. If you visit the Security & Privacy section of System Preferences you'll find one significant change under the General tab. Under the "Allow applications downloaded from" you'll like find "Mac App Store and identified developers" selected. This will prevent apps that aren't signed through Apple's developer center or downloaded through the Mac App Store from running. If you want to prevent even more apps from running, you can set only Mac App Store apps to be allowed. Alternative, you can allow everything so you're not restricted at all. This is the setting you're probably going to want if you're tech savvy and tend not to download anything in the malware department.

Over in the Privacy tab you'll find some nice new privacy settings. This is where you can approve or deny an app's permission to access certain things like your contacts, location, Twitter account, and more. It's a good idea to audit this section now and again to make sure certain apps don't have access to data you don't want them to see.

And here is apples release of new features

initpidzero likes this.
  2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

3. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

that was smthn original first person view.. i thot u appreciated that kinda work :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

when did I say I didn't? I am just adding more info.

5. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

ohh.. the like alert got delayed prolly ;) .. prolly another G L I T C H :p

dbg likes this.