Movie Review and rating thread

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by BANHAMMER, Jun 25, 2012.

Share This Page

1. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

lovecholera_436280n.jpg

Die Liebe in den Zeiten der Cholera (2007) - IMDb

Great story but all gone into total waste with bad execution and direction.Few parts of the movie was OK, the cinematography and music was very good.

Giovanna Mezzogiorno is extremely beautiful Javier Bardem is a good actor but both were not used properly, there was make up flaws throughout the film.

The novel on which the movie is based upon has a great concept where the author relates love to cholera, according to him the main character suffers the illness of love throughout his life.

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I have heard about this movie, would definitely like to watch it.

3. RajaPraveen

Yeah you could try watching although the movie is a big disappointment overall.

I read about the book before watching the movie and i thought they would have at least done decent justice to that story but they failed. I guess i will read the novel with some background score running in my mind. :)

4. BANHAMMER

Django
    Sphagetti western
    I think pretty decent movie, only bad part was dubbing, i hate dubbed movies.

5. BANHAMMER

Five Easy pieces 1970
    A Stellar performance by Jack Nicholson
    Please feel free to read more details here:
    chambilkethakur

6. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
    [Crime, Comedy]

[​IMG]

Rating: 4/5

"Funny, smart with lovable characters. Having RDJr narrating throughout the whole movie is a real treat, his unabashed charm lends a very unique style to the movie as he breaks the 4th wall. If the title hasn't given it away the movie is a comedy/murder-mystery. RDJr plays a bumbling good guy(and petty thief) who accidently lands up in the glitzy life of Hollywood, LA only to get tangled in a murder along with Kilmer & Monaghan. There's witty dialogue in there though most of it has been scripted for "Gay Perry" (Kilmer's character). RDJr carries his natural charisma throughout the movie with Michelle Monaghan really stepping up to the plate alongside two seasoned actors and lends her special appeal to the role. The movie is worth multiple viewings. I have gladly done so on 4 occasions so far. The trademark of the film is taking classic comic setups and turning them on their heads at the last moments to give the audience that very hearty chuckle. If you're a Robert Downey Jr fan you must have seen this already, if not get on it !!"

initpidzero likes this.
  7. dbg

Wreck it Ralph (2012)
    [Animation, Comedy, Adventure]

[​IMG]

Produced by Disney it has all its classic elements - A mash up of Ugly Duckling + Cinderella stories set in imaginary land of Arcade Video Games.
    The plot is forgivingly unsurprising .. the movie doesn't try to wow you with CGI etc - and all this is a good thing. To describe the style and content of the movie would be a bit Spoilerish as that is really its winning point and must be experienced first hand.

Jack McBrayers voice acting, who is pretty much a real life Disney character, is very recognizable and watching this right after finishing 30 Rock's final episode made it extra special.
    Fellow cast members John C Riley (as Ralph) & Sarah Silverman (as Vanellope) give their natural comedic best though Sarah's casting was a surprise to me.

There are a lot candid references to popular Video Games & Characters that we grew up loving story fits them together really well, again I won't go into much detail. What differentiates this from the Pixar lot I think is that it doesn't try to be the "Movie for all" specifically it does skip out on the teenage audience while appealing more to the younger children with its magical landscapes, fairytales & to older generation with its classic video game references & setting. While you may not be a Video Game fan .. its impossible to say that anyone has escaped their delightful influence so don't miss out on this movie either.

4/5 - (for an Animation Flick)

JD666 likes this.
  8. BANHAMMER

Today is day to remember those who brought us this very freedom, in which we live and breathe
    Shaheed(1965)
    100% rating
    The greatest movie on struggle to freedom
    Complete review here
    chambilkethakur

JD666 likes this.
  9. RajaPraveen

Saw this movie today and i am gonna rate it as "Very Good"

10. BANHAMMER

Sita sings a blue is pretty amazing.

11. dbg

Start Trek Into Darkness (2013)
    [Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi)

[​IMG]

Had the pleasure of watching JJ Abrams latest tryst with the Star Trek franchise last night. Now the biggest problem with such high profile movie releases is that most of story & plots get 'spoiled' much before. With its grandiose trailers & poster design for Star Trek Into Darkness one expected the same but after the 2 hour I can certainly say that Creators played this out very cleverly. Another cause for pre-applause for this goes to its distiction for being the FIRST IMAX 3D Motion picture. Apparently JJ Abrams wanted shoot the movie in IMAX & Paramount Studio wanted a 3D Movie .. so well they settled and said "why not both !!".

One vocal opinion of mine about this Star Trek reboot is that the creators have kept their loyalty to the original fans of the franchise. In fitting to Star Trek fiction this new reboot exists in a alternate timeline (which was distorted by the actions of Original Star Fleet timeline) so to speak which is excellently presented as the entier basis of the first movie. So with this premise it gives the Creators a lot of room to re-imagine our fondest members of the Star Fleet and yet make familiar call backs, references & achieve the same old Chemistry between them to keep the original fans happy. This balance is between the new story and known existing characters is what allows for JJ Abrams to reap the appreciation. Other franchise reboots have tried and failed exactly when they lost this balance.

The plot of the movie follow the Enterprises's pursuit of one of its own who has turned traitor & declared 'a one man war on Star Fleet'. Benedict Cummerbatch play the Super Villain "Khan" who it out to settle a score and leaves Star Fleet in ruins. Once again fate of stopping this One-Man-Weapon falls on the Crew of the Star Ship Enterprise, its Captain James Kirk & First Officer Spock.

"Into Darkness" sets up the theme of this movie quite well. Its about decent Into Darkness .. out of Fear, Anger & Revenge .. each exhibited by one of 3 main characters in the story. Another aspect I found really mention worthy is the equal time/effort given to the Characters of Kirk & Spock. The screen time is fairly divided and it looks promising for the continued journey. Zachary Quinto continues his job excellently to portray Spock and is the anchor of the movies & apparently the Central Character so far.

I would suggest refreshing first(new) Star Trek before going to see this one.

In typical Abrams style you will find an over-abundance of Lens Flare .. which tends to get annoying especially in the emotional scenes when you can't even see the characters face due to all the distorted light. The CGI is Grand with a lot of the action taking place inside the various Star Ships.

One little tid-bit I'll leak out for the fans .. the reboot part has been done now we should expect the Enterprise to continue down its destiny of explorations and yes you do get to hear Captain Kirk speak those Epic lines ..

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 15 Points May 17, 2013
    JD666 likes this.
  12. BANHAMMER

Ironman 3
    1. Slightly better than iron man 2 but nothing like iron man 1
    2. RDJr and Ben Kingsley were amazing, Guy pearce was okay and wtf Gwyneth Paltrow?
    They ?#@*&%!^$~ed the whole concept of Extermis, they destroyed a very good villain Mandrin.
    I mean to begin with most ironman villian are shit, and then they found one which had potential to fight with the dude, they made mockery of entire thing.
    If it was not for the cockiness and humour, the movie would have been totally intolerable. WTF were the script writers smoking?

Mediocre superhero movie.

JD666 likes this.
  13. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I agree whole heartedly, Dint like IM3 at all.

14. BANHAMMER

No, I wont say I didn't like it I mean RDJ and Ben Kingsley were superb but rest of it was pretty terrible.

15. JD666

Sir Ben Kingsley stole the show, But being the final in the series I was expecting something more from the story

16. BANHAMMER

Only in recent years Iron man have gained any fame in Marvel world, he was pretty much a second rated hero compared to Spidey or Fantastic four or Xmen. But the movie changed everything for him. His best comics are still about his drunk years.

JD666 likes this.
  17. BANHAMMER

Watched Spirited away, Brilliant brilliant movie.
    One of the greatest animated movie ever made.
    Hayao Miyazaki' is a ?#@*&%!^$~ing genius

18. JD666

Some movies I watched over the past few days on my HT

- Pacific Rim - Too many loop holes, but worth a watch for the SFX. Had seen it on IMAX in 3D, but at that there was far too much information on the screen to take in. This was regular HD print.

- Shawshank Redemption - Yes, don't kill me, but watched this movie now. Great film, highly recommended.

- A Good Year (2006) - Didn't know had this in my collection. A sweet film, one time watch for sure.

19. dbg

Blasphemy .. that AWESOME GUITAR RIFF from the Soundtrack will erase all doubts your mind and turn you into a Jaegar groupie !!

Seen it thrice so far in theaters .. :D

JD666 likes this.
  20. BANHAMMER

Since when is mecha vs kaido such an original concept?