Movie Review and rating thread

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by BANHAMMER, Jun 25, 2012.

Share This Page

1. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

That's why im liking the new guy , he's not some emo tool - A bit hipsterish though. At least he didn't need two movies to score his girl.

Gwen Stacey >> MJ "Spidey bait" Watson.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 2, 2014 ---

_____________________________________________________________________________________

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

[​IMG]

Whew.. so just back from watching The Amazing Overly Nice and Super Romantic Spiderman 2 (sponsored by Sony)..

and boy was it something else. First off full props to Emma Stone (Gwen Stacey) who stole the show .. her performance, her parts were just too cute & awesome, that you'd forget you were watching a Superhero movie and not a Rom-Com (your appreciation may vary). Now onto the movie, one general observation would be that the movie tried pull is lot of directions at once, Romance - Dark Secrets - Action - Loss. Its good if these come in a natural sequence but given the run time of 2:22 hrs the writers had to shuffle back and forth a lot.

Now on to the villains, Harry Osborne's story was super rushed - not enough motivation/plot there to turn him 'evil' .. So instead the writers relied on casting a scrawny guy and giving him an emo haircut to get the audience to hate him. (and a ton of daddy issues like our last one). Electro was done somewhat better but in a very predictable way - (the Hulk cycle). Jamie Foxx's transformation from nobody to nemesis is all because of his acting skills.

Comparing to the previous Spiderman series, which kept our Hero really humble and down on his luck - the new Garfield's Spidey seems to have it all and does everything with so much ease. So this is certainly once aspect where the Tobey Spidey scores over Garfield's as he was more relatable & sympathetic in his times of struggle. You'd think that with their financial struggle he wouldn't be able to buy expensive Canon & Sony DSLRs and Vaio laptops.

Humor, well Spidey is family friendly hero-next-door so the movie had to be kept lighthearted but there is that one emerging aspect in such (action) movies today is the meta humour that is constantly thrown in - While clich├ęd situations are a staple - its amusing to see the characters play it off from an audience perspective. (meta: Humour about humour - See: Community (TV Series) for more :D). Another lacking in the current series is the presence of secondary characters, T-Spidey has some pretty memorable ones but our G-Spidey is just too centered around the main cast. The story is told mostly from our Hero's perspective so we are not really able to the explore the Spidey-verse.

The actions sequences were beautifully choreographed CGI'd .. the slo-mo camera tracking really helped follow the action which is ususally too fast to follow (See Transformers series). The use of 3D was actually welcome and was done right.

Over all those who have some 'expections' about the plot will get everything they want - Its all there, predictable but nicely executed especially that end.

The movie ends with all strings neatly tied up and a new dangers on the horizon but you are left to wonder if there is any 'growth' left in our Spidey - Every hero has his journey, we are left to wonder what his struggles would be apart from his mortal enemies.

PS: I swear they should just do a Spinoff Romantic Comedy between just Peter Parker & Gwen Stacey, this movie just leaves you wanting for more.

Sunit JC and JD666 like this.
  2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

^^ Gotta go check it out on my next off now it seems :)

3. JD666

Watched The Monuments Men

The monument men.jpg

A fictional movie set on actual historical people (who were more than 7 in number) and worked for the MFAA (Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives).

It is an untold story, yes, glorified by good ol' Hollywood (since Murika was involved).

There are some good moments, though the climax is a bit of downer. George Clooney is classy, and a bit underwhelming at the same time. He plays the army lieutenant very well though.

Nice to see Bill Murray after ages (Last I remember him in Ember, City of light? )

One time watch, yes.

3 out of 5 stars!

4. Sunit JC

Sunit JC ActiveRAIDer

gwen.jpg

JD666 and dbg like this.
  5. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

What was her name that blondie that looks 100 years old?
    She was worst casting choice ever.

6. dbg

Kirsten Dunst

7. JD666

Watched Epic.. (60fps). I believe the Missus would be better at reviewing it.

8. BANHAMMER

Epic was alright.
    Watched American Psycho.
    Good god, Christian Bale is way too good of an actor.

9. JD666

Watched Mr. Peabody and Sherman... A decent flick. Compared to the original cartoons from the 60s this was a major refresh.

Mr-Peabody-and-Sherman-poster.jpg

I did hate that girl Penny though. Some scenes she was like I want this and I want that, and then when it would get messed up.. "I just wanna go home".

They were there, thanks to her in the first place!

I did find it lacking in some areas. The other current mess up is that to release a movie in 3D, the Cinematographer, screen play writer tend to add useless chase, items dropping, cascading and what not. It might add the zing to the movie in 3D, but does nothing when you watch it in 2D.

Rating - 2.5/5

10. BANHAMMER

Watched Raid Redemption
    pretty solid action flick

Prince of Persia
    Not as terrible as I hoped

47 Ronnin
    Again, not as terrible as I hoped.

JD666 likes this.
  11. dbg

Raid Redemption is awesome .. you seen its sequel Raid: Berandal .. It was supposed to have released last month in the UK.

12. BANHAMMER

No, I have not. I tried streaming it, terrible quality.

13. dbg

Yea, only CAM is out.

14. JD666

Prince of Persia was nice.. I hope a sequel is made..

15. JD666

Watched How I live now -

how i live now.jpg

2.5/5 - I was expecting much more, but the drama was pretty regular. Cute girl though. :D

16. BANHAMMER

XMEN: Days of past future
    Panties were dropped.
    Godzilla
    It was not too bad though.
    Magnificent seven
    In a lot of ways it was good, but nothing like seven samurai.

JD666 likes this.
  17. dbg

Godzilla pulled a fast one on the fans with the trailer - It made it out to be totally different movie. The scenes of the Trailer were in the wrong order so it gave a very different impression of what the movie would be like which is a pleasant change from what Movie Trailers do these day (ie give out 90% of the script).

Overall an excellent start to an amazing franchise. Though during the 2nd half it was hard to keep track of the story which moved so quickly from one landscape to another.

18. BANHAMMER

The fight between those creatures were pretty weird, I had no idea what the hell was happening.

19. dbg

The movie already had a huge CGI budget but with limited tech creating full scale battles is not possible so they rely on 'movie magic' to keep you distracted from the action.

20. BANHAMMER

wtf is movie magic?