Moz's health blog

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by MOZ, Sep 30, 2015.

Share This Page

1. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 last year February. My fasting glucose levels were astonishingly high, around 14 mmol/l (Normal 3.9-5.5), HBA1C was around 11% (Normal below 6%). I was immediately put on Metformin 500mg twice a day and Gliclazide 60mg in the morning. I also cut down on my sugar intake and only went for low GI foods.

Glycemic Index (GI) is the measure of how much and how fast sugars from any food are digested by a body. Foods with low GI will have a low carbohydrate count as well as have complex sugars which take time to digest, where as high GI foods will be high in simple sugars. White sugar has a GI of 100. Foods that are considered to be low GI are those that are less than 50.

I did stick to my diet of having low GI foods, but didn't couple this with any exercise. I was able to stick to this strict diet for about 5 months. For the first four months the fasting glucose reading came down quite fast, at one point it even reached 5.7 mmol/l. After the fourth month, things were pretty much stagnant and I had readings between 6-7.5 mmol/l.

After the five months, due to certain reasons, I started to fall of the wagon slowly, however I was still not having anything sweet, rice and potatoes as well as generally avoiding refined wheat flour and sticking to only whole-wheat flour breads.

Up until last last 3 weeks back, I was sticking to just avoiding these most common high GI foods and was having low and medium GI foods. I these last 20 months or so, my HBA1C dropped to 7.4% but went back up to 8.2% and fasting glucose was around 7-9 mmol/l.

About a month back I consulted a endocrinologist, he looked at my previous reports and said that clearly my sugar levels were out of control, but there is more to diabetes other than blood sugar levels and thus got a number of tests done. Based on the tests it was concluded that I had developed insulin resistance. Due to this my sugar levels were high, but so were my insulin levels, which were also twice the reference value.

This meant that I was technically not suffering from diabetes type 2, but is the direction my body was headed in. My poor pancreas was working double overtime to compensate for my body not willing to use the insulin effectively, and this would ultimately lead to the pancreas burning out and not producing enough insulin, if any. The excess of insulin also meant that my body was storing most of what was not digested as fat around the liver and thus causing me to have a fatty liver, all of which were classic signs of metabolic syndrome. Due to all this my triglycerides were very high and vitamin D levels very low, due to which I was always over-sweating and felt dehydrated. My chances of developing cardiac diseases were also increasing steadily.

The doctor recommended me to start administrating Victoza. Victoza is a fairly new medicine in the world of diabetes. It helps in more efficient production and use of insulin and controlling the rate at which food is released from you stomach. Victoza is available in 6mg/ml--3ml pens that have to be injected with a micro-needle in abdomen region, once a day. The adoption rate of Victoza is relatively low as compared to many other drugs, this is because of the associated nausea, bloated feeling, constipation, diarrhea and the general sick feeling. There are also some risks of development of thyroid cancer in patients with a history in the family of the same cancer.

I decided to give it a go for three months, which is the recommended "trial period" for any diabetes treatment. Along with the Victoza, I would continue with the twice a day 850mg Metformin. Oh yeah, about 8 months back my Metformin dosage was also increased from 500mg to 850 mg. I would have to stop the Glyclazide and was also given a number of other supplements that I have to take. The doctor said that I should aim to complete a minimum of 7,000 steps and strive for 10,000 steps everyday.

I made up a my mind to do 10,000 steps as well as start a low-carb-high-fat diet. HIGH-FAT, HIGH-FAT, are you crazy, MOZ! You read that correct, the idea of the LCHF diet is to minimize the carbohydrate intake and get your energy from fats. The idea is to get your body to use fats rather than carbs as the main source of energy, this eventually gets the body to start using the stored fat in ones body.

At the start of the treatment, my fasting sugar was around 9 mmol/l, HBA1C = 8.4%, weight = 85Kg, and height = 1.7m. BMI comes to an astounding 29. For my height, my weight should be 52-72kg. Coming to today, it has been three weeks since my new treatment started, first two of which were hellish.

I was always feeling full and hungry at the same time, felt like vomiting but my mouth would always be very dry. Also, usually my stomach would be quite runny. It became so bad, that although I have good tolerance of G-force (I've done plenty of roller-coasters and bungee as well), while travelling in a start-stop traffic, because of the constant jerks I felt very uneasy. Some days, the diarrhea is so bad that I feel I'm quite literally shitting the fat away.

Things have started to get better now, I'm not as nauseous and I'm starting to live with the slight uneasiness of the stomach. In the last three weeks, I've lost 5kgs and blood glucose levels have also improved, going down as low as 5.6 mmol/l.

I'll try updating the thread everyday with the food I had during the day, exercise and any progress reports I may have. Please feel free to contribute in anyway, suggest new foods that I can have, find problems in my current system, etc.

Medicines:
    - Victoza 1.2mg in the morning
    - Metformin 850 mg twice a day
    - Homo-cysteine modulators
    - N-Acetyl-cysteine
    - 5HTP
    - Vitamin D3 10000
    - DHEA

Exercise:
    - 10,000 steps a day - Approx 7 km walking/running. I'm doing about 3km walk, and 16km cycling.

Food:
    - Low carbs high fat foods for six days a week, this means no wheat products, nothing sweet, one portion of fruit a day (An apple or orange, etc), no root vegetables.
    - One cheat day a week, on this day I can have any foods I want, this is very important for multiple reasons. One, it means that I don't have to go completely quit everything and if there's something I have a strong craving for, I can have it on the cheat day. As a foodie, it will be close to impossible to completely stop eating foods high in carbs and most likely would end up giving up soon. Secondly, it gives me a day to look forward, so I countdown to that target day and think to myself, "only 5 more days", "only 4 more days", etc.
    Something which is important to note is that ones has whatever they want to eat on the cheat day, rather than small portions throughout the week. The reason for this is that over time your body will develop in a manner where it is only comfortable with the LCHF foods and when you eat all the "junk" food on the cheat day, most of it would go undigested through the system. I have noticed that on cheat days, I will always have a runny stomach. If one was to have small portions throughout the week, the body will not be able to get into the fat-using mode that one wants it to go in.

Readings:
    - Weight at beginning - 85 Kg
    - HBA1C at beginning - 8.4%
    - Fasting glucose at beginning - 9.1 mmol/l
    - Height - 1.7m
    - Optimal weight - 52 - 72 Kg
    - Lowest fasting glucose - 5.5 mmol/l
    - Current weight - 79 Kg
    - Last fasting glucose reading - 5.5 mmol/l

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 150 Points (Best of Luck) Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    JD666 likes this.
  2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

You go Moz the Boz! Once I've completed my weight loss plan (currently at 3 kgs in the last month), and undergo a full blood profile in November, I'll update my results as well.

This is an inspiration to say the least. Glad you are tracking all this information for others to learn from. Respect!

3. MOZ

Thanks @JD666

Wednesday update:
    - Breakfast @ 7:45: Cold coffee (Full cream milk), macadamias and pecan nuts - This has been my regular breakfast for the past two weeks now and generally I don't feel too nauseous after having this
    - Cafe Latte (Full cream milk) @ 10 at work
    - 1 small orange @ 11:30
    - Lunch @ 1PM : Coleslaw - Cabbage, tomato, capsicum, mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil, and vinegar with oregano & rosemary
    - Salted buttermilk (Chaas) @ 3:30
    - Handful of roasted peanuts @ 5:30
    - Dinner @ 8: Some of the remaining coleslaw from lunch, some homemade besan (gram flour) sev
    - Did 2k walk and 20k cycling

Thursday update:
    - Breakfast @ 7:45: Cold coffee (Full cream milk), macadamias and pecan nuts
    - Lunch @ 1PM : Baingan bharta (Aubergine, tomatoes and onions cooked in clarified butter) with 1 water chestnut roti
    - Handful of roasted peanuts and 4 strawberries @ 6:30
    - Dinner @ 9: Sprouted green mung, tomatoes, cucumber and apple salad
    - Did 2k walk and 20k cycling

Water chestnut (Singada) flout is one of the only flours I have found that has a low carb count, besides this there is only nut flours like almond flour, but that is unusable for making rotis.

4. JD666

Thanks fo the Singada info. But how's your salt/sodium intake overall? I don't have much salt in my diet, I supplement it with pickled olives, green chilies and the cold mezzeh/salad that I eat (hommus/Fattoush)

5. MOZ

I haven't really measured out my sodium intake, from my reports, it has been in the second quartile of the reference range. In general though, based on the foods I'm eating, it is quite low. I try to use lemon juice, ?#@*&%!^$~ney, vinegar wherever possible. Oh and the chaas that I have doesn't have plain water, I use the leftover whey from when we make paneer at home. I've also noticed that the required amount of salt to get some saltiness in terms of taste is less with foods higher in fat as compared to foods higher in carbs.

Friday Update:
    - Breakfast @ 7:45: Cold coffee only
    - Lunch @ 1PM : 4 medium pieces of besan dhokla (No sugar) with corriander ?#@*&%!^$~ney
    - Salted buttermilk (Chaas) @ 2:30
    - Orange juice @ 6 - Juice from only one orange diluted with three times water
    - Dinner @ 8: Sprouted green mung, tomatoes, cucumber and apple salad, 2 pieces of dhokla from lunch
    - Did 2k walk only - First day since my treatment has started that I slacked off

I had one of the worst nausea's on Friday morning, i couldn't eat even one bite of anything, nor the nuts that I usually have. Gradually over the day, it weared off and I was feeling much better by 11 AM.

Today morning I checked my fasting glucose, it was at 5.7 mmol/l, and weighing scale was pointing between 79-80kg. It is my cheat day, so I'll be having a lot of junk and hopefully my body will not recognise it and I'll just shit it away. :)

JD666 likes this.
  6. JD666

Okay, Friday seems to be a tight day in terms of intake. How much water?

7. MOZ

I'm trying for 2L 0f water daily. Water intake has definitely gone down, earlier I was easily drinking 3L+ everyday.

Saturday Update:
    - Cold coffee @ 8
    - Breakfast @ 10: Vermicelli Upma - I love this and slightly overate, I was too full, so I couldn't have any lunch
    - Orange juice @ 1 - Usual diluted orange juice
    - Lunch/Evening food @ 5: I wanted to have some Italian on my cheat day so we went out for pizza and pasta, I know it was an odd time, but I wasn't feeling hungry at all up until 4, so had to skip lunch. I'm usually able to eat half (4 slices) a large margherita pizza along with half portion of pasta served at this particular restaurant. I only managed two slices and a quarter of the pasta. This was exactly half of what I usually eat and still I had clearly overeaten as my stomach hurt real bad after this and I didn't have anything besides water for the rest of the day. This was the second week in a row where on my cheat day, despite having eaten half of what I usually eat, I had still ended up eating too much. Got to learn to control this
    - Did 20k cycling

Sunday Update:
    - Breakfast @ 9: 1 chilla (Indian mung dal pancake) stuffed with paneer
    - Orange juice @ 1
    - Fistful of roasted peanuts @ 2:30
    - Chaas @ 4
    - Dinner @ 8: Strawberry Shake (Full cream milk, 4 medium sized strawberries) and some home-made sev
    - Did 28k cycling

I couldn't have much food on Sunday as the full feeling was still there from the day before, also as I had anticipated I had a runny stomach throughout the first half of the day.

Few guys in the office have said that I am looking leaner and younger, as well as one guy approaching for details of my diet and regime. Guess I'll direct him to this thread. This is highly motivating. :)

JD666 likes this.
  8. JD666

I gotta hike my cycling distance, currently barely do 5 kms. I get bored more than anything.

9. MOZ

I get bored too, be it walking on the treadmill or cycling, that is why I do it when there is some good sports on TV, good thing I watch soccer, cricket and rugby, so almost always there's something to watch.

10. MOZ

Monday Update:
    - Breakfast @ 7:45: Strawberry shake (Full cream milk, 4 strawberries)
    - 1 small orange @ 11
    - Lunch @ 1PM : Baingan bharta with 1 water chestnut roti
    - Dinner @ 9: I bowl of unsweetened tomato soup and a fistful of roasted peanuts
    - Did 3k walk and 16k cycling

JD666 likes this.
  11. JD666

What's your take on walnuts

12. MOZ

Walnuts are great, we don't get much of them here (Johannesburg) so I have pecan nuts instead, primarily cashew and pistachios are the ones you want to control how much you have. Most other crunchy nuts are fine, raisins, dates, figs and other sweet dried fruits are pretty much a no-no.

JD666 likes this.
  13. JD666

Sigh, I was using dates to crave off my smoking urges.

14. MOZ

Dates are less harmful than smokes :)

Tuesday Update:
    - Breakfast @ 7:45: Strawberry shake (Full cream milk, 4 strawberries)
    - 1 small orange @ 11
    - Lunch @ 1PM : Soondal (Boiled chickpeas with coconut and South Indian tempering)
    - Dinner @ 9: 1 cucumber

JD666 likes this.
  15. MOZ

Wednesday Update:
    - Lunch @ 1:30PM : Shahi paneer and 1 urad dal papad in place of roti/naan
    - Dinner @ 9: 4 small soy and paneer tikki air-fried

16. MOZ

Thursday Update:
    - 1 glass chaas @ 12
    - Lunch @ 1:30PM : 2 besan thepla with yoghurt
    - Dinner @ 9: Besan sev chaat with tomatoes, onions, lemon and corriander

Friday Update:
    - Lunch @ 1:30PM : Chilli paneer and chaas
    - Dinner @ 9: Paneer and one singada roti

Morning blood glucose reading was 5.5 mmol/l and weight was 79 kg. Progress looks good.

17. JD666

Indeed. I've had a few stumbling blocks (constipation, lack of proper sleep).

18. MOZ

Sleep is very important, stomach will act weird when on a diet, I've had days where I was leaking water in the morning and just about constipated in the evening.

For me psyllium husk works wonders in either case, have a tablespoon of it in water or yoghurt.

19. MOZ

Saturday Update (Cheat day):
    - Breakfast @ 9: Couscous
    - Lunch @ 2: 1 glass chaas and 1 cucumber
    - Dinner @ 9: Kulfi falooda
    - Did 1k walk and 24k cycling

Sunday Update:
    - Breakfast @ 9: Singada chilla stuffed with paneer
    - Lunch @ 1:30PM : 1 apple
    - Butterscotch flavored milk (unsweetened) with chia seeds
    - Dinner @ 9: Onion, tomato raita and 2 urad dal papad (Cooked in microwave)
    - Did 28k cycling

This morning the nausea was very bad and I thought I won't be able to go to work, checked my weight, it was 77kg, which is surprising, but I think it will go up, as I didn't have a lot of water over the weekend. Checked my blood glucose as well as I was feeling very drained out right after I woke up, although I wasn't fasting it was still 5.7 mmol/l. As the day has progressed, I'm feeling much better.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    JD666 likes this.
  20. JD666

Glad to hear that. Wouldn't Lemon juice or Lemon+honey in water help with the nausea?