My Experiments with Bacon

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by dbg, Jul 16, 2013.

Share This Page

1. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Bacon is prepared from several different cuts of meat. It is usually made from side and back cuts of pork, except in the United States, where it is almost always prepared from pork belly (typically referred to as "streaky", "fatty", or "American style" outside of the US and Canada). The side cut has more meat and less fat than the belly. Bacon may be prepared from either of two distinct back cuts: fatback, which is almost pure fat, and pork loin, which is very lean. Bacon-cured pork loin is known as back bacon.
    Bacon may be eaten smoked, boiled, fried, baked, or grilled, or used as a minor ingredient to flavour dishes. Bacon is also used for barding and larding roasts, especially game, e.g. venison, pheasant.

[bimg=600]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qya9U5bF_Yc/UV9AxLB3aCI/AAAAAAAAABM/LAXHN0tSlQc/s1600/bacon1.jpg[/bimg]​
    The best part of cooking bacon is that it contains so much of its own fat which liquefies when heated and the bacon cooks in itself. Lots grease is left after the cooking which can saved for later . Cooking in simple, easy and quick.

The simplest and most common way to cook bacon is lay out strips in a frying pan and set it on a high flame. Within minutes you'll have a crunchy cooked bacon strips in sizzling hot fat.

A more health conscious & clean way of cooking bacon is in the Microwave.

Now in India we don't get fresh cut Bacon and have to rely on Frozen Packed Bacon, so lets proceed from there. Scouring my local mart I found two types of Bacon Strips.

1. Back Bacon - 150/- for 150 gms
    2. Streaky Bacon - 198/- for 150 gms

I opted for the more traditional Streaky Bacon. Now before we get any further, this is my first attempt at preparing Bacon with little cooking skills at hand.

JD666 likes this.
  2. dbg

1. COOKING BACON IN THE MICROWAVE

Ingredients Used -

Frozen Bacon Strips (Streaky)
    Microwave Safe Bowl
    Plate
    Kitchen Towels

Instructions -

1. First defrost that Bacon by immersing it in a bowl of tap water.
    Ensure that your Bacon pack is totally sealed (if you didn't do this already while purchasing :D ). This will take about 20-30 minutes depending on the temperature of the water. Once done the hard frozen Bacon pack will turn soft and mushy and the Bacon strips can easily move about in the pack. The temperature of the of pack should only be slightly colder to touch.

There are two approaches to cooking Bacon in a Microwave based on the utensil you want to use.
    We will cover using a Bowl & a simple plate.

2. Using a Bowl
    For this take a plate and cover it a 2-3 layers of Kitchen towels. These towels will soak the excess bacon fat. Now place the bowl upright and drape the edges with 3-4 strips of bacon. Make sure the Bacon strips don't touch or overlap. Also remember that bacon contracts when cooked.

[​IMG]

Now set the Microwave to its highest setting, I did it at 850W for 3 minutes or Keep an eye on the Microwave and cook it depending on how crispy you like it.

Once finished cooking the Bacon grease will collect inside the bowl and on the plate below. The Paper towels should absorb most of the grease and make for easier cleaning.

Carefully remove the bacon and watch out for the hot grease and if the bacon is cooked to crispy then it might break.

After removing the Bacon strips and set them on clean paper towels to soak away the remaining grease. The bacon will also get dry & crispier now.

2. Using a Plate.

Cover a plate with layers of Paper Towels These towels will soak the excess bacon fat. Place strips of bacon on them, spread them out evenly spaced. Make sure the Bacon strips don't touch or overlap.

Put the plate inside microwave and set the Microwave to its highest setting, I did it at 850W for 3 minutes or Keep an eye on the Microwave and cook it depending on how crispy you like it.

Once finished cooking the Bacon grease will collect on the plate on the plate. The Paper towels should absorb most of the grease but still you will have a lot of sizzling hot grease so be careful when removing the bacon and cleaning the plate.

Remove the Bacon strips and set them on clean paper towels to soak away the remaining grease. The bacon will also get dry & crispier now.

JD666 likes this.
  3. dbg

Reserved

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member