My impromptu review of my Earphones

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by JD666, Oct 30, 2012.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

So I got these on a recent trip to Colombo. There was no in-flight entertainment on the flight, so I had decided before hand to buy some earphones so I can watch some National Geographic Air Crash Investigations during my flight. :p ( Many would remember the story about the nosy person sitting next to me, and then freaking out when I was watching that in flight ).

Bought these from Croma for about 550 back then, Now they sell for 500 Rs. I had no plans to use them further, and honestly these were the cheapest option there.

30102012033.jpg

But I was to be surprised with the performance of these cheap IEMs.

In short -

Sound Quality -

Driven to the peak by my phone(s) Nokia N8 and the Motorola Razr Maxx these IEMs never once distorted, jarred or got too fresh. The sound had depth, the Bass was very very impressive for their size/price.

Mids were nice and clear. No muddling of the two like you get sometimes on lower end Philips or Sony headphones.

The only slight issue one could point out would be that the highs get a wee bit tinny, but then it also depends on the music/media file as I have observed.

The Tech specs from the website are -

Drive Unit (diam. in mm) ΓΈ9mm
    Impedance (ohm/1kHz) 16
    Sensitivity (dB/mW) 96
    Max. Input (mW) 200
    Frequency Response (Hz-kHz) 20-20
    Cord Length (ft./m) 3.6/1.1
    Neodymium Rare-earth Magnet Yes
    Weight(g/oz) w/o Cord 4/0.14

Yes, they could be slightly louder, but are adequate for regular functioning. Though ambient isolation could be slightly better, but then if they sufficed at slightly lesser than full volume inside the din of an Aircraft, then I am sure they would suffice pretty well in regular usage.

30102012035.jpg

Build Quality -

I have been using these for 8-10 trips now, and the tips are as spongy as before, no signs of wear and tear. The Build quality is flimsy, but does not give the impression that it will break or rip easy.

These come with 2 sets of extra tips ( S/M/L ). Small and Medium are what I use. The Medium tips give me a really snug fit. I have used these for upto 4.5 hours continuously, and no ear pain/soreness. A big Thumbs up for that!

30102012036.jpg

Value for Money -

You bet. For 500 Rs, these are worth a try, and if for nothing else, can be used for harsher environments to which you would not like to expose your precious IEMs to, like in the gym, cycling, biking or in a bus etc.

Bottomline -

Good sound, cheap and reliable!

Available - Not sure where online, but Croma stores have them.

( The pack in the first picture is one of 2 sets I purchased from the Duty Free Croma store for a friend )

Vinny likes this.
  2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

They don't look all that great.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yup.. simple looking. Nothing special that ways.