Need Backup & Sync software for Portable HDD.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by dbg, Sep 7, 2012.

Share This Page

1. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Hi everyone..

So I have got a Laptop with 1TB HDD & WD Elements 1TB USB 3.0.

[bimg=200]http://images.pricerunner.com/product/500x500/388201491/Samsung-NP550P7C-S02UK.jpg[/bimg] +
    [bimg=200]http://wdelements.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/31Jf8batzwL._SL500_AA300_1.jpg[/bimg]​

I am looking for an automated backup & folder sync solution with which I can backup my media files & downloads onto my Portable HDD.

Here's the scenario I'm looking at.

1. Just plug in the Portable HDD into the laptop, the software detects the HDD and automatically starts syncing files between the Laptop & HDD. Alerts when Sync is complete.

2. Software reminds me every weekend to backup my files.

Please suggest any free/paid software that can help me do this.

Thanks
    -dbg

JD666 likes this.
  2. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Most of the portable HDD's include this kind of software !!
    what are you finding difficult in this !

3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

WD Elements doesn't come with such a software. I didn't check that before purchasing :(

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

4. Nucleus

Nucleus RAID Rookie

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    dbg: 50 Points (Thanks .. trying it out now.) Sep 8, 2012
    JD666, Nicko and dbg like this.
  5. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

PathSync

PathSync is a tiny freeware to analyze two directories and show the user a list of differences between the directories.
    The interface of PathSync is terse; you can understand it easily and use it conveniently. It can quickly analyze two directories at different locations on the computer.
    [​IMG]
    Set the path for “Local” and “Remote” location, choose the “Default synchronization action”, and then use other options like “Filename mask” or “Ignore” to filter the files to be synchronized (optional). Click on “Analyze” button to begin.
    Now you will see the analysis results. Right click on any file that needs to be treated differently, and then change the action method. Press “Synchronize!” button to start the synchronization.
    [​IMG]
    You can save each synchronization profile by using “File -> Save SyncSettings” menu, and then use “File -> Load SyncSettings” the next time to use that profile.
    GoodSync

If you think PathSync is too simple to meet your needs, you can try GoodSync for more advanced synchronization features.
    At the first launch, you will see a “New GoodSync Job” window. Enter your name and choose a proper job type.
    [​IMG]
    Set the path for both sides to be synchronized, you can choose FTP server, WebDAV or even Amazon S3 as the target location.
    [​IMG]
    Click “Analyze” to start. You may need to wait for few seconds or minutes for the process to be done.
    [​IMG]
    After analyzing, click on “Sync” button to begin the synchronization process. That’s it, the directories would now contain the same files and folders.
    [​IMG]
    Note: Though GoodSync is not freeware, you can still synchronize less than 100 files per sync job for free.

dbg: 50 Points (Will try it out) Sep 8, 2012
    harryneopotter, JD666 and ManISinJpr like this.
  6. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

and heres how synctoy works

Microsoft Synctoy is a must-have utility to help you synchronize files in different directories of the same computer or between a computer and external storage devices like the iPod and USB pen drives.
    [​IMG]

As in the figure above, you first select a pair of folders that you want to keep in Sync via Synctoy. Then decide the action – should the two folders be clones or only the new files have to be copied ?
    SyncToy supports wild-cards in file names (like *.exe or holiday_*.jpg) so you can decide what files are included or excluded during the sync process.
    And using SyncToy is completely risk free – it has a wonderful preview feature that lets you see what operations would take place during the run without performing any changes on your computer.
    [​IMG]
    SyncToy v2.0 [for Windows XP and Vista]
    *If you were to sync files and folders on multiple computers via the internet, considerFolderShare – it can also sync files between a Mac and Windows computer.

JD666: 20 Points (Informative, but use original language, would rate higher!) Sep 9, 2012
    JD666 and ManISinJpr like this.
  7. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Informative. Ill also plan to do something of this sort with my rig. This would be very very useful in the event of a crash.