Review Nokia Lumia 620 Review

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Apr 9, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Hi All,

Got my hands on the Lumia 620 on an impulse.

Initial impressions -

I had checked out the Lumia 920 thanks to Luciffer and then idutt bought the Lumia 820. Both were extremely impressive phones, with pretty cool features and an easy to use interface.

I had been following the reviews online for the 620. The only doubt that I had was that how would it fare with a 1 Ghz Dual core processor and half the Ram of the others (512 vs 1Gb in 920 and 820). Seems my Android paranoia was short lived. Windows is not as system intensive as Android, and is a pleasure to use/operate even in a mid segment phone. You really don't miss the whole bells and whistles, like you would in a mid level Android phone, since it's all there.

I compared the UI speed/interface between the 620 and the 820, and couldn't really come up with any lag/delay in operation.

The phone comes easily to hand, especially after using biggies like a Note, or N8 or my Motorola Razr Maxx. And for a change it's a good thing. Finally a phone which is of a usable, suitable size. Not too big, and not too small to make typing a chore. +1 for this.

The Back shell is a two color affair to reach the lime green color that it is. A yellow base, and a fused but transparent Cyan outer shell. They both combine to give it its lime green color.

Well built, the phone looks like it could take a few knocks easily and not break or come apart. Impressed.

All the buttons are on the right side of the phone only. This makes one handed operation really easy. And Windows can be easily operated (on a phone of this dimension) by one hand.

Lumia 620 front 2.jpg
    I tried getting a clear pic of the dual shell cover, but could not clearly. I'm sure most of you will notice it the moment you get your hands on it. The Yellow outline that you see in the upper image is of the inner shell and the greenish outline is of the outer shell.​

Lumia 620 corner.jpg

Lumia 620 rear.jpg

[/CENTER]

Sadly there are no free gimmicks/giveaways with the phone. If you have a Reliance sim card you will get 1 GB of 3G data free for 2 months. Nothing for other network users.

Oh and there is a FC Barcelona contest that could be participated in.

With the phone.

Standard set of accessories. Charger, Data Cable and a Hands free.

Using it -

The phone has an interesting SIM tray beneath the battery that takes the micro SIM. The Micro SD card (upto 64gigs) can be easily swapped after removing the cover.

The cover does require a fair deal of strength to pry it off easily. The camera and flash assembly is slightly recessed from the rest of the rear of the phone. So even if you keep it on a table without a cover, the camera flash would not come in contact with the surface.

I liked the ease of the home screen on Windows 8. Infact switching between menus, using Internet Explorer was really easy and smooth. +1 to Windows for making it a better usage experience compared to Android.

What I din't like was the lack of options/menus. Or rather maybe someone used to seeing loads of menu options on Symbian and then Android, it came across pretty sparse.

Don't get me wrong, the developers have thought of nearly all the possible options that you would be requiring while doing a particular option/menu/application.

Some people might find the lack of customization appalling, however I find it easier to follow a given interface, layout and operation system.

I would have welcomed an Alphanumeric keypad as an option in portrait mode, but then that's just me.

This is the first phone that I am actually comfortable typing with a QWERTY keyboard. Probably the compact size is what makes it comfortable.

There is a lot of space below the 3 capacitive buttons. If you use the phone in landscape mode, it makes you feel as if you are not using all the real estate that the phone has. Nokia could have given it a longer screen, but then I am guessing it had more to do with the resolution, rather than the dimension.

Lumia 620 home screen.jpg

The screen response is excellent, with no lag. No lag is what makes this phone seem faster than other phones in its category.

Sound and Calling

Voice quality is extremely clear, and in fact the ear piece volume is really loud. Louder than my Razr Maxx and N8. This is something that I liked. I had to lower the ear piece volume to around 7-8 for normal conversation. Could have gone lower comfortably. There is a noise cancellation mic at the top of this phone. It helps considerably.

Network strength and ability was good and at par with any generic phone out there in the Market. Did not have any hardware to test it further.

Data speed was good compared to my other phones. However yes, initially the phone takes some time to sync everything. Best bet is to sync everything over Wi-Fi, else you'll end up using a lot of your data.

I could not find a mobile data limit or data tracker at this point, however yes, it would be a useful add-on to keep track.

Multimedia

The Camera is a handy 5MP with a powerful LED flash. However it din't fare as well as I was expecting in dark shots.

For testing this, I took my faithful CapDase Cell phone tripod (Thanks hnp) and mounted it in a fixed direction, at a fixed angle to take images of the same items. What you see below are image samples from -

- Nokia PureView 808
    - Nokia N8
    - Motorola Razr Maxx
    - Nokia 620.

All phones were left in Auto mode, with the exception of switching off the flash for second shot. Focusing was done automatically in the Nokia phones, the Motorola had to be told what to focus on.

Here are the image samples. Resized for fit. Full size images will be attached later.

In Sequence -

Kindly bear, could not find anything better. Had just come back from the market with fruits and veggies. :D

1) Fruits (With flash)

Nokia 808 -

Nokia 808 fruits with flash.jpg

Nokia N8 -

Nokia N8 fruits with flash.jpg

Motorola Razr Maxx -

Razr Maxx fruits with flash.jpg

And finally the Nokia 620 with flash -

Lumia 620 Fruits with flash.jpg

The images have been reduced to half size from original for uploading.

2) Fruits (Without flash)

Nokia 808 -

Nokia 808 fruits without flash.jpg

Nokia N8 -

Nokia N8 fruits without flash.jpg

Motorola Razr Maxx -

Razr Maxx fruits without flash.jpg

And finally the Nokia 620 without flash -

Lumia 620 fruits without flash.jpg

All Camera work decent in sunny or well lit conditions. And moreover since this review was being done last night, I decided to compare some low light shooting. Again all Cameras were left on Auto Mode. Face it, you won't really be buying the 620 for the Camera it has. But the purpose of this test is to share, how good/close it gets.

From the shots above, the 808 is the benchmark for me. Now onto the Low light shots -

1) Street Light falling on tree (Without flash) -

Nokia 808 -

Nokia 808 outdoor without flash.jpg

Nokia N8 -

Nokia N8 outdoor without flash.jpg

Motorola Razr Maxx -

Razr Maxx outdoor without flash.jpg

And the Lumia 620 -

Lumia 620 outdoor without flash.jpg

I checked and cleaned the lens for the Lumia several times for the glow around the light. However it was present still. But still pretty damn close to the others.

2) Street Light on tree (With Flash)-

The Nokia 808 got messed up here since the Xenon flash rebounded from the Camera phone mounting. But this was to be an indicative check, hence I went with the image -

Nokia 808 outdoor with flash.jpg

Nokia N8 with flash -

Nokia N8 outdoor with flash.jpg

Motorola Razr Maxx with flash -

Razr Maxx outdoor with flash.jpg

And finally the Lumia 620. The flash din't really do much here. I was in fact more impressed by the flash on the Motorola, though the LED brightness seems lower on it. The 620's flash just din't have the throw or timing.

The 808 and N8 can be excused, for having a Xenon flash.

Lumia 620 with flash -

Lumia 620 outdoor with flash.jpg

For all practical purposes, it will suffice, and do real well for FB, Instagram etc.

To be continued in Next post -

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    MOZ: 274 Points Apr 9, 2013
    Nicko, idutt and MrsJD666 like this.
  2. JD666

A good feature for Audio enthusiasts. Nokia has provisioned the Audio Jack in the cover, not in the phone -

2013-04-09-1200.jpg

So you can use any headset of your choice, and not worry about damaging the jack. If the jack does get damaged, you can simply buy a new cover.

The Loudspeaker was decently loud, slightly more than the N8 or 808.

An interesting feature in the movie player is the ability to pinch and increase/decrease the volume. However the media player does seem to be a limiting option, unless custom players can be installed/loaded. I'll let ManISinJpr comment on this.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    WingZero: 66 Points (Nice review :)) Apr 9, 2013
    Sunit JC: 50 Points (Nice :)) May 3, 2013
    Nicko, idutt, MrsJD666 and 2 others like this.
  3. JD666

The phone feels really snug in the hand, and everything falls to hand comfortably. I like the fact that I can slip it in my pocket and not be bothered with a bulge in my pants. (pun intended)

Lumia 620 in hand 01.jpg

And I have averaged sized hands, not the generic baboon kinds that one would find.

Lumia 620 in hand 02.jpg

idutt and MrsJD666 like this.
  4. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Loved th etrue words coming out on this experience :)

Now Install Temple Run asap and then share what the experience is like..
    it is free.. coz the anopther gripe that I hear is that the apps are not able to be pirated !! till now in Windows Phone 8...

But also see the video and ohhh !! the one thing I forgot..

Nokia here maps and drive application, download maps for it and then do pinch zooming and such stuff !! to check performance.

5. JD666

On the Anvil. Will carry out these things and update. Already downloaded and updated maps for Delhi/Haryana.

I like the fact that this has a built in GPS receiver. So one can get a position fix, even if there is no network available. Great feature! +1

MrsJD666 likes this.
  6. JD666

I downloaded a video using an app. That video is visible in the app only. Is there a file manager or something that would allow me to send that video to another phone via bluetooth? ManISinJpr

7. coolcatric

coolcatric Chief RAID meet organiser

Even i was thinking to buy this one only. But somehow i felt the screen size was not enough. Thus decided for 822, because of screen & price (US)

8. JD666

The screen is more than adequate. And somehow though the 800x480 resolution does not sound enough, the contrast is really nice. Images come up really really crisp. I like.

The current gripe I have is limited playback options ( video formats ), and the fact that this does not have a file manager. You have to connect to a PC to transfer files. But what if I want to send a file thru Bluetooth to someone. No possibility.

If you copy paste files to the phone memory, they don't show up in your gallery :(

Hope Nokia is thinking of some fixes for all this.

9. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

fantastic review for a fantastic phone.nice comparison of photos taken from other phones JD666

10. Nicko

Nicko RAID Rookie

Nice photography dude ...:wink1:

11. JD666

Thanks guys!

12. ManISinJpr

I frankly dunno about the file manager working on a locked WP 8 phone yet..
    but whatsapp videos are generally not saved to a external device..

so what about the rest of the tests and suggestion

13. JD666

So unlocking it would allow for a file manager to be used? how?

Maps were tested yesterday. Speed is good. Nokia's USP.

The phone battery went to 50% after about 12-14 hours of usage that included 2-3 hours of data and 2 hours of Wi-Fi. The screen was kept on medium brightness.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  14. ManISinJpr

^^ There are no unlocks in the world as of now. so :( but
    waiting is a game, and as to how it would work, that lets access the memory storage and this makes it work.

Battery is good, maps are good, the left is games that too temple run 1 and 2

15. JD666

Frankly I don't like those games so much, but since you are insisting on em, I'll load one and post a video or something of its performance.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  16. ManISinJpr

^^ This is not jsut the need to see games functioning on it, but a competition with android ! coz many android phones stutter and fault !
    this and the benchmark results ( if you can find them) of this 620 beating S3 in tests.. :)

17. JD666

Browser Mark? I'll search for it.

18. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

Nice Review and great comparison shots !!

JD666 likes this.
  19. JD666

One more thing that I am missing in this phone is a notification light.

Gotta keep unlocking it from time to time to see if I have missed anything.

Other issue for me is that board express, the forum software like tapatalk is not that great. It does not even list raid101 even though we have tapatalk support. So browsing the forum end become a hassle.

The web browser is good, it let's me browse most sites in their desktop version, however the multi tab opening and selection process is a chore. Not having a speed dial page adds to this issue