PC to TV - Wireless connection - Solved

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by JD666, Aug 20, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I found these devices online, made by various manufacturers, that allow you to connect your PC/Laptop to your TV, wirelessly.

Now I don't have a smart TV, it is a regular 46 inch LED TV with HDMI input and 1 USB port.

What I would like to do is instead of hooking up my Laptop to the TV via HDMI cable, do it without wires. So that I can keep the Laptop wherever I like in the room, and be able to stream to the TV.

Anyone with any experience with this? I need full HD 1080p stream capability. If I can use the additional display as an extended desktop, it would be great, since I can then watch on the TV, and do everything else on the Laptop/PC.

Thanks in advance!

2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

You can put your TV on network and use Plex on your PC to use your media, but other than that Apple TV or Chrome cast are your friends. So TVs also come with projecting technology directly from mobile but that solves nothing.

JD666 likes this.
  4. JD666

Sold the Pi (too much of a hassle TBH).

I like the MIUI TV Box (for obvious reasons), but can I stream from a laptop to it?

TV is dumb TV, only thing it does is plays from USB (UAF465000 - Samsung). Hence the need.

5. BANHAMMER

Yeah go with chrome cast until unless you have too many apple devices

6. JD666

I bought a ChromeCast and returned it. The method of configuring a media playback from laptop was too cumbersome and laggy.

I need a wireless alternate to a HDMI cable between the Laptop and TV.

7. BANHAMMER

Try miracast?

8. JD666

okay, if you say so

9. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Go with Xiaomi Mi Box Mini, has streaming service, miracast, you can access files on network directly from the device using the provided remote.

JD666 likes this.
  10. JD666

11. JD666

So the Mi Box that was being sold was in Chinese language only. I stumbled across this combo deal in a Supermarket, and picked it up on a whim (aren't all my purchases that).

IMG_8556.jpg

A Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (For Miracast enabled devices)

IMG_8580.jpg

The device is similar to a ChromeCast, except it might be slightly bigger in size, and powers off directly from the USB port. It comes with a HDMI extension cable if needed.

IMG_8577.jpg

Tucks neatly behind the LCD and is pretty easy to configure from Windows 8.1

IMG_8578.jpg

Since this was a combo deal, I got an All-in-One Media keyboard with integrated touch pad with it -

IMG_8557.jpg

The keyboard is okay. Not really for extended typing, but the spaced out keys make for easy press and access

IMG_8558.jpg

I like the fact that I can control volume, and do not have to have a separate mouse to operate. The whole keyboard runs off 2xAAA batteries, vs 4 for the keyboard and mouse combo that I was using earlier.

IMG_8559.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

I had stuttering issues with the Wireless Adapter initially, however after a Firmware upgrade, it seems to have been resolved.

It's good for 30 fps video currently. I am still to try a 60 fps video and see if the stuttering comes back.

12. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

Whats the cost ?

Also is miracast a software technology in laptop with win 8.1
    OR
    is it a built in hardware that works only with Win 8.1?

13. JD666

I think it is a software tech in laptop with 8.1 or higher. (Also Android 4.4.2 or higher)

Support for Wi-Fi direct is needed. However non Miracast devices can also be converted to one using such an adapter.

The combo was around 5,400 but online I've found the Adapter at the same price, minus the keyboard. However on eBay, this sells for between 30-40$ which gives it a upper price point of about 2,500 Rs.

Miracast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia