Portable devices to be 'powered on' for check at Airports

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Jul 18, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

According to new guidelines released by the TSA, and promptly implemented by Airlines all over the world (flying to the USA) the following is now in effect -

"Passengers must ensure all electronic devices like cell phones and handheld devices must have enough power.

Due to enhanced security checks passengers must be able to power up/switch on the electronic devices when requested by security otherwise you may be denied boarding.

Powerless devices will not be permitted on board the aircraft and may lead to additional screening.

Ask your family and friends to do the same when flying to these countries as this is part of the enhanced security measures recently implemented by these countries."

This covers Laptops, Tablets, Cellphones and any and all portable electronic devices.

I highly recommend this be shared with anyone flying to the US, lest they wanna leave their devices behind and be subject to further scrutiny.

I can already see people running around looking for charging points.

Issue is, what qualifies? Just being able to switch on suffices? Or it should function as well? Are they going to go thru our devices as well?

I have been checked earlier and asked by security to power on my laptop or Mobile, but that was about it. I generally travel with 3 or more Cell Phones, they would check one, and it would be enough.

Read more here -

NBC News - Breaking News & Top Stories - Latest World, US & Local News

2. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

ehh ? .. why is this ?

3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

To show that you are taking a working device onboard and not some disguised bomb component.

4. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

if i want to take down a plane i will use a ground to air missile :p

on a serious note .. R.I.P all those on the mh-17

5. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

World's slipping to hell these last few days - senseless death all around.

6. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

True that.

To answer @Invader 's query, the TSA has received specific threats that a explosive device disguised as a portable electronic device could be used in-flight. Moreover they are also scrutinizing shoes more closely.

if you ever see your phone under an X-ray while traveling, everything shows up pretty clearly; chips, circuit board, battery etc. With the exception that the Battery being dense, shows up separately.

Now if someone has modified such a device to hold even miniscule amounts of explosive, the results could be catastrophic in the pressurized environment of an aircraft.

7. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Terrorist have won, everyone is ?#@*&%!^$~ing paranoid on an airport.

8. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Well, first was liquid carrying fiasco and now this.

Come on, what is next. Are you holding poop or RDX in your butt? Open up, free citizen... don't quench your hole.

Paranoia all around makes me want to drive instead of fly.

JD666 likes this.
  9. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

This surely makes for the fact that freedom is losing and they are winning.

JD666 likes this.