News Qatar Airways Boeing 787 In-Flight Entertainment Powered By Android, Comes With 382GB RAM, 69TB SSD

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by SumitB, Jul 13, 2012.

Share This Page

1. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

LMAO !!! ROTFL !!!!
    FYI, linux has crashed more on me than my Windows 7... ;)
    Windows 8 RT will change all that !!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 14, 2012 ---
    Read here dbg ;)

Microsoft Case Study: Windows 7 Enterprise - Boeing

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

dbg - these are non essential softwares. The Aircraft software is manufacturer proprietary and undergoes 30-50,000 hrs of stress testing at least. Hence aircraft software development is slow.

ManISinJpr - This is for the back end. many companies are still running windows xp, and is purely to glorify MS.

3. ManISinJpr

Just to GLORIFY and you mean to say that they don't care about passenger safety? at all..
    you know what the insurance costs are there in US or EU??

4. JD666

How does a company upgrading their operating system from xp to windows 7 hamper passenger safety? And yes I do know insurance costs in the US and EU, but how is that related to this?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 14, 2012 ---
    And it states in the post "Boeing anticipates continued gains in PC performance and worker productivity, along with improvements in security management."

No mention of passenger safety here.

5. ManISinJpr

Usage of Windows, in mission critical stages.. that's all.. you forgot what we started with..
    dbg said that he would not rely on BSODing software, so I presented a example..

6. JD666

alrite got it.

7. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Mind me some context ..

JD666 - I was talking about software and OS used on an actual flying plane .. (jokingly)

Boeing or whatever company upgrading its office systems to Win 7 has nothing to with the discussion or flight safety in General.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  8. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

If you expect a plane manufacturer /airline regulator to reveal any bit of information about what keeps 100+ tonnes in the air and brings it back to mother earth intact, you really need to rethink that whole thought.

I could tell you more about boeing, airbus and what goes on inside. But I will just concisely tell you that Windows 7 is given to the MBAs, not to engineers. It is much like my org gives me 32 bit windows 7 on my laptop. approx 200,000 techies using windows. oh em gee.

But do allow me to add that the above statement is as much true as it is false.

ManISinJpr and JD666 like this.
  9. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Please check this link before you all make fools of yourself:

http://www.ghs.com/news/20050706_honeywell.html

Systems like Aircraft have HARD REAL time requirements.
    Most common real time operating systems like rtLinux or rtBSD are soft real time.
    Realtime operating systems have very low latencies and very determinstic response time.
    Monotlithic kernels are NOT the right choice for hard realtime. Hard realtime is totally a gig for microkernels
    Now Linux got developed from minix, whic is one of the few real micro kernels, but normal linux is not meant for such operations.
    windriver's Vxworks and Green hills' integrity and velocity are the right operting system for this job.
    There are variants of QNX, LYNXOS can be hard realtime.
    Finite machines' RtLinux is also a major player in this game.
    windoz CE is only RT i know of which is M$ player in real time domain, but It's no where near as widely deployed as the microkernels like vxWorks.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    ManISinJpr: 21 Points (Now this is some super info :D) Jul 15, 2012
    ManISinJpr likes this.
  10. mrnikhilsudo

mrnikhilsudo Don't like Mr suit

they are in the airlne industry. Me thinks they didn't choose windows because they are a bit wary of "crashes" ;)

dbg likes this.
  11. Fireblade

Fireblade Trance@ddict

That's impossible for the critical flight parameters.. there's no link to what software's being used on IFE. But I'm sure people know that already & are not foolish to think they're being flown on something that was meant to be fiddled around by a 10yr old genius in coding ;)