Review Quick Hands on with the OnePlus Two

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Sep 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

A friend recently purchased the 4GB Ram, 64 GB Rom version. With the high Rupee vs dollar rate, he paid over 33,000 INR for the device. Another friend who has a OnePlus One, forgot his device at home, else this would've made for a good comparison test.

IMG_8107.jpg

First up, The OnePlus Two, is as big or bulky (depending on your preference) as the OnePlus One. If you are are OnePlus One user, you will adapt instantly to the OnePlus Two. This in my opinion is a plus point that should be given to the manufacturer. Familiarity is something that does not please everyone. After all an upgrade should be just that, a proper upgrade with a whole new user experience.

However there are some (rather many) who prefer a familiar style and design, that they are already comfortable with. That is why Samsung has fanbois despite all that bloatware and let us not get started with Apple at this point. But the OnePlus Two does not feel any different from the OnePlus One when you grasp the device in your hand. The differences are there, which I will share in the coming pictures.

IMG_8109.jpg

The rear of the device is the familiar sandstone finish that was seen on the OnePlus One. On this however, the finish has a higher friction coefficient. The device is easier to hold, and is that much harder to let slip from your grip.

IMG_8110.jpg

The Camera comes with a Dual LED flash, and the black bar on the left, is the laser focus. This is said to reduce camera focus time to as little as 0.2 of a second. The 13MP sensor is a f/2.0 with 6 lenses, and comes with Optical Image stabilization. Now whether this is mechanical, like in the Lumia 1020 or iPhone 6 + onwards, or software, is not clear.

Imaging focus was as mentioned, superfast. However the camera snapping was laggy to say the best. Compared to the S6/Galaxy Note 4 and onwards, the camera response on the OnePlus two was definitely slower. Colors were neutral and soft.

4K resolution video recording is also supported by this device.

IMG_8108.jpg

The biggest changes are in the frame of the OnePlus Two. The middle structure is made of metal, akin to the Samsung S6 or Xiaomi Mi4. The metal is a cool shade of grey (darker than Apple's shade) and provides a very pricey, durable feel to the whole device. Definitely changes the experience.

On the right side of the OnePlus Two, there is a slider button. This is used for changing user profiles without unlocking the device. Useful to disable notifications when you're watching a video, or reading a book (There will be no notifications at the top of the screen until you activate them using this slider). This can further be customized to include two more notification profiles.

IMG_8111.jpg

On the left, you have the Volume toggle and the Power button. Also visible is the nail access for removing the back panel. From what I remember, the back panel was not removable in the OnePlus One.

IMG_8112.jpg

On the top you have the regular 3.5 mm audio jack and noise cancellation microphone hole. Also visible is the band that probably splits the physical antenna for the GSM/Wi-Fi.

IMG_8113.jpg

At the bottom of the device you have a dual speaker setup for Audio. The USB Type - C Charging port makes an appearance here. Being reversible, you can connect your USB cable in any orientation, knowing that it will connect and charge the device. Similar to the lighting connector on Apple devices.

IMG_8114.jpg

Pulling off the back panel, you see the manufacturer information. The slot for both SIM cards (Nano) are at the top.

IMG_8116.jpg

A close up of the SIM tray. The back cover does not feel flimsy, though it is super thin. I do wonder if they could've slimmed the device down by 0.1-0.2 MM if they would've made a removable battery and made the back cover go further flush with the rest of the device. However if they've done it in the interest of ergonomics and provide a more rounded feel, it is spot on.

A huge 3300 mAH battery does duty to power the SnapDragon 810 processor inside.

My friend's impression was that, a) the battery lasts him a full day easy, ending the day with about 40% remaining. b) Charging is also quick and c) The device does not heat up as much as what was expected from the 810.

IMG_8117.jpg

The screen is as good as the previous OnePlus One, however the yellow tint that a lot of people complained about, is thankfully missing in the OnePlus Two. Colors are crisp and clear. Though no where near the newer Samsung displays, a full HD display means that the battery can last longer. Again, my gripe is not the resolution. At 401 PPI, the display is more than sufficient. It's just that it cannot match the color reproduction of the current market leaders. A small gripe in an overall powerhouse.

IMG_8120.jpg

The OnePlus Two came with Oxygen version 2.0.2 based on Android 5.1.1. The response was smooth, and switching between apps super easy. The user interface was easy to comprehend, and it was pleasant to see no bloatware apps or unwanted features present.

IMG_8121.jpg

A nifty feature that I liked was the option of opting for either on screen keys (as shown) or using the capacitive and physical key at the bottom of the front.

Overall my time spent with the OnePlus Two would be summed up in the following manner -

- Camera could be snappier.
    - Images are neutral,not over saturated
    - GUI is easy to use and navigate
    - the notification lock is a neat touch.
    - Fingerprint sensor works just like iOS, unlocks in an instant.

If OnePlus would consider making a 4.5 inch version of the same device, I would probably buy it in a jiffy. However the camera does need further refining for this to be the flagship killer that the OnePlus One is/was.

At 33,000 + , it isn't super cheap at the moment, but then that's the price you pay for being one of the first ones to get your hand on a much sought after device.

I would, wait for suitable software upgrades, monitor overheating issues if any and most importantly, buy it at the cheapest price point if possible, to make the deal sweeter than ever.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Device looks good, albeit not the super cheap flashship killer like the OnePlus One.

3. JD666

Yep. I hope they bring a smaller variant as well

4. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Nicely done! I am in love with Moto X play :) :p

JD666 likes this.
  5. JD666

^^ With that battery, it is surely a powerhouse. But I see a custom ROM to be the way ahead. Way too many tweaks/options now

6. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Just near stock clean android X Play is theoretically so good (mine is about to be delivered probably by Tuesday) my dad wants to buy one :eek:

JD666 likes this.