Review Quick hands on with the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Nov 29, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

After being super excited at the flagship specs of the Z5 family, I was keen to check these devices out in person.
    The Z5 premium has not made an appearance here (yet), but at 5.2 inches screen size, it doesn't really excite me as well. The Z5 Compact was the go-to device for me, since having used the Z3 Compact, I was looking forward to the next iteration.

The specs have already been discussed here - Information / News - Sony rebounds with the Z5 Flagship family - What specs! | RAID101

First up, after using the iPhone 6S and the Redmi 2 for several weeks now, the Z5 Compact feels super fresh and compact in the hand.

IMG_0554.jpg

I like the textured feel of the device on all sides and the back is a gloss free matt glass finish now.

IMG_0556.jpg

The camera sits flush, and it has a single white LED for illumination. When I was comparing LED brightness and tone, I found the LED slightly lacking in brightness and illumination. But I'm assuming the sensor might make up for it (with a possible ISO setting of 12800).

IMG_0555.jpg

The Right hand side of the device is dominated by the power button, which features an integrated fingerprint sensor. The volume toggle is not at the most convenient location. However the icing (with the fingerprint sensor) is the dedicated camera key, that offers progressive pressure, similar to a point and shoot camera. You half press for focus, full for capture.

Image capture was snappy and quick, focusing was fast as well. Sony claims the fastest focus time for the 23 MP sensor at the back. It won't beat the S6, but is more than adequate.

IMG_0558.jpg

The left features a removable flap that houses the SIM card and Micro SD card slot (expandable upto 200 G:cool:. There is also a lanyard attachment, that a lot many online reviews have criticized. I personally prefer it, especially when I was shooting with the Z3 (not the Z3 Compact). You put the lanyard around your wrist and can go swimming, or splash around at the beach and not fear losing your phone. Thoughtful touch, for those who know how to utilize it.

IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg

The top and bottom are regular fare, with a noise cancellation Mic at the top alongside the 3.5mm audio jack.

At the bottom we have another microphone, along with an exposed Micro USB slot. I would've preferred the magnetic charging port, but the device somehow looks better without it. Wireless charging would've been great though.

IMG_0554.jpg

If you are used to the Xperia series, then the homescreen is a regular affair for you. I like the fact that this was clutter free, compared to the Z3/Z3 compact. The Z5 Compact also offers PS4 compatibility for playing on the go/home etc.

The screen is nice and crisp, and quite bright at full brightness. The above shot was taken with the screen setting in auto mode.

GUI response was fast, smooth and snappy. I was really impressed to see the difference, since it was crispier than the Z3/Z3 compact and that is a honest depiction of performance improvement.

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Gone are the rubberized edges from the Z3 family. This has a full plastic surround. Again, gripping and playing with this device was a great experience, perhaps the best I've had in a long time with any mobile device.

IMG_0565.jpg

To put it into perspective, it was a sweet spot between the iPhone 5S, which gets a tad small and the iPhone 6/6S, which gets a tad big for me.

IMG_0567.jpg

Online videos suggest that the fingerprint sensor is as snappy as the iPhone 6. Which is great, since I've not considered any other means for unlocking my devices ever since fingerprint unlock. A pattern is such a PITA!

Available online for about 32,000 INR, the Xperia Z5 Compact brings in flagship performance with the Snapdragon 810 and 2 Gb of RAM, in a form factor that still appeals to a whole lot out there.

The screen at 4.7 inches is no slouch and you don't really feel the 720P display. It's a great little device, one I hope does well.

2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Really appreciate how you concentrate on the ergonomics and size of a phone. Phone manufacturers seem to have forgotten about ergonomics altogether.

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

By the way, I figured out why the've done such an odd placement for the volume rocker.

If you end up using the volume rocker as zoom function for the camera, the keys are adjacent to the camera shutter key. This will allow you to adjust your image like you would with a point and shoot camera. Though zoom is not the most commonly used feature (at least by me), this is a good touch, now if you think about it.

4. JD666

Though I am not a fan of the SnapDragon 810 series in the Z5 family, I do hope that Sony brings the 820 to the same form factor. That would make for a powerhouse of a device!