Review Quick look and testing the Lenovo A6000

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Mar 8, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

A family member was fortunate enough to get the device during the recent flash sale by FlipKart. At 6999/- this device offers quite the challenge to the current sub 10k segment mobile devices. Xiaomi has been dominating this segment with the Redmi 1S and other manufacturers are also trying to get a slice of this pie.

Feature packed devices, that will easily last you a day, help you save data by using Wi-Fi, provide GPS navigation and allow you to use all social networking and chatting apps with ease. It doesn't really get simpler than that. You can take some decent images, and have enough space for some music to entertain you during your commute.

The giant 5 inch screens offer a decent experience when you feel like watching a movie or a video on YouTube. These are targeted devices that don't excel in any other department, other than their pricing.

The Lenovo A6000 is no different from this rule. However what makes it interesting are features like 4G LTE network speeds, a 2300 mAH battery, 64 bit Quad Core Qualcomm SnapDragon processor, and a few others.

2015-03-06-0874.jpg

First up, a look at the tech specs -

Processor

64-bit Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 410 (MSM8916) 1.2GHz Quad Core

Operating System
    Android™ 4.4.4 (Kit Kat) with VIBE UI 2.0

Display/Resolution
    12.7cm (5) HD (1280 x 720) IPS display

Memory
    1GB RAM

Color
    Black

Storage
    8GB internal storage, Expandable MicroSD slot up to 32GB

Sound
    2x speakers, Dolby Digital Plus®, 3.5mm audio jack

Connectivity
    4G LTE; TDD Band 40; FDD Band 1, 3, 7, 20; DL 150Mbps / UL 50Mbps

Bluetooth
    BT 4.0

Camera
    8MP auto-focus rear camera w/ LED flash; 2MP fixed-focus front camera

Battery
    2300mAh (Li-Ion)
    Talk time: Up to 22 hours (2G), 13 hours (3G), 4G voice not supported
    Standby time: Up to 11 days (2G/3G), 11.5 days (4G)

Weight
    128g (4.52 ounces)

Dimensions
    141 x 70 x 8.2mm

SIM Support

Dual, Micro SIM

Design and feel

The Lenovo A6000 feels robust to hold and operate. The device comprises of a single removable panel that wraps all around the display bezel. The 2300 mAH battery is removable. I missed taking a shot of the back panel removed. Both SIM card slots + Micro SD slots are accessible only after removing the back panel.

The shell has a nice textured feel to it, that provides a non-slip surface to hold the phone. This makes holding the 5 inch device pretty easy to be honest.

2015-03-06-0875.jpg

There are 2 speakers at the bottom (which are decently loud). They are affected slightly when the device is kept back down on a surface.

2015-03-06-0876.jpg

The 8MP camera is flush at the top with a thin chrome ring surrounding it. The ring is slightly elevated and provides a minor degree of protection only. The flash is quite bright and sufficient.

2015-03-06-0879.jpg

The audio Jack and Micro USB ports are at the top of the mobile phone.

2015-03-06-0880.jpg

The bottom houses the single microphone.

I'm not fully sure of the screen, however there is no mention of any protection here. It's simple plastic only. So a screen guard would be a must to ensure the screen does not get scratched. To sum it up, this phone definitely feels better to hold and operate as compared to the Redmi 1S.

Software and User Interface

The Lenovo A6000 comes with the default Lenovo Vibe UI that is common to the family of mobile phones. What this does is essentially remove the Application menu, and puts everything on the home screen.

Screenshot_2015-03-04-21-41-58.jpg

The icon that you see in the top left is of a default security application that refuses to shut down or get disabled. It's an annoyance to say at the very least.

A big drawback, that I fee of such a UI is that Widgets get jumbled up with all applications on the home screen. If I wanted an iOS experience, I would've bought an iPhone. Not an Android device that appears to function like an iOS device.

The upside is that it's easier to explain such a GUI to seniors and people trying out touchscreen smart phones for the first time. There is no noticeable lag and the GUI is responsive and fast. Though available RAM is on the lower side (around 380 MB Free), with basic applications running, it should'nt be an issue.

The Lenovo Vibe UI has a built in Ram optimizer that shuts down background apps that are not needed.

Hardware and Testing -

The SnapDragon processor was at par with the competition in the testing. The Antutu test score was 20485 compared to a 206XX for the Redmi 1S. The device did get slightly hot near the Lenovo Logo on the back side during the benching, but then I had to run the test several times to get a score.

Battery life of the device was excellent and under usage lasted 2 days easily (with minimum data usage).

Screenshot_2015-03-06-01-30-43.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-06-01-31-00.jpg

This does fare within the competition.

Tech specs -

Screenshot_2015-03-06-01-31-07.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-06-01-31-17.jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-06-01-31-28.jpg

Quadrant -

Screenshot_2015-03-06-02-11-08.jpg

Quadrant score as usual was 12036.

Camera -

The imaging was about average, with the camera being slightly laggy in response. Here's a sample image taken vs an iPhone 6 -

First up - iPhone 6 image -

iphone ref.jpg

Auto mode, No Flash, No HDR.

The Lenovo does offer HDR, however it was kept off for the test -

IMG_20150306_021203.jpg

You can see the whites being washed out and a general glow on the image. I checked the lens to make sure it was clean, but the result was the same.

Overall - This phone has impressed me a lot. Why? I will share in a forthcoming review (Lenovo Sisley S90). Currently this does seem to be a value for money device offering 4G connectivity.

Pros -

-
    4G connectivity
    - Battery life
    - Decent processor
    - Fit and feel

Cons -

-
    Average Camera
    - Lenovo Vibe UI is not to everyone's liking
    - Unwanted security application

If Lenovo could wizen up a bit and offer a plain Android experience a la Moto E/G/X style, they have a sure shot winner on their hands. Meanwhile they'll have to make do with flash sales and public hype. This phone is a seller for sure.