Review Raid 101 exclusive. Nokia X2 hands on

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Aug 8, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Here's a hands on video (my first, so excuse the video quality)

2. JD666

Till I get my hands on my Lumia and tripod for some decent shots, here are some screenshots collected over the last 18 hours of usage -

First up, a tad colorful homescreen -

Nokia X2 homescreen.png

you can change the colors of the icons to one of 6 colors, pretty limited. but at the same time you can add widgets (similar to the kind you would find in a regular Android device - Which is a good thing.

Nokia homescreen dialer.png

This is the dialer, pretty simple and easy. if you select the people list, it shows you most recently searched for or selected. A regular feature in high end phones but a nice touch in this league.

Nokia X2 software version.png

This is the screen detailing the software, called Nokia X software platform 2.0. Interesting bit is that this is probably the only place you would see Nokia on the inside. More on that later.

Nokia X2 App Storage.png Nokia X2 Battery usage.png

Nokia X2 running apps.png

These screens show you familiar options, only that tapping on a application provides you with many more options than what you would see in a Google infested ROM.

Moving on, here are some benchies that show the utilitarian end of the device -

Nokia X2 Antutu benchmark.png Nokia Antutu Benchmark 02.png

Nokia Antutu Benchmark 03.png Speed test GSM WCDMA.png

The last is a network test speed. Network speeds on 4G are excellent here (3-4 Megabytes per second easy). The above is a good indicator of the 3G speeds this phone is capable of.

My favorite bit - Here maps. Here is the available storage -

Nokia X2 Maps memory.png

Downloading all the world maps would take around 6 GB of space, so best use an external memory card.

We've been too used to having a minimum of 8GB storage on our devices that 2 GB feels like MicroMax levels here. The absence of a memory card in the kit highlights it even more so.

Nokia X2 maps download.png

A lot of people have been yelling online that how Nokia X, XL, X+ sucks coz it does not run Whatsapp.

Wow, never has an app been such a critical deciding factor on whether a phone is good or not. Something that this crowd conveniently misses that there was Nimbuzz on the scene in like 2008. But then there has never been a dearth of ignorance.

Anyhow, to keep the masses happy, we've managed to run WhatsApp on this phone. And we'll be putting up a separate tutorial on how to do that.

The below (1 mobile) market has to be installed as a pre-requisite -

Nokia X2 1 mobile market.png

And then -

Nokia X2 whatsapp messenger.png

The main set of Google Android apps are available to the user.

Attached Files:

3. JD666

Tester notes -

1 - Camera - Above average - The Auto Focus takes some time, however review, zoom and settings are all quick and responsive. Test images to be posted in comparison with 1020, N8 and 808.

2 - The back and home buttons are a bit of a grouse - They are not back-lit. This causes a bit of confusion in the dark. I was browsing and everytime I had to press the back button, i ended up tapping between the screen and the actual capacitive area. This was frustrating to a certain extent.

3 - Good ol' Opera mobile - For my requirements, it feels just right. Actually just reminds me of the N8. The Opera browser is as capable as it's Android counterpart. I opened around 11 Tabs and had no issues with lag or responsiveness.

4 - Skype - Works, tried a test call with @dbg, I could see him pretty well, though the front camera could be a tad better.

5 - Facebook Calling - Works great, without a hitch.

6 - Keyboard - Typing on the stock keyboard is a breeze (as shown in the video above). However Nokia have gone one step further and have offered Swype on this. Comparing it with the Lumia's Swype, it's at par and only faster. To really compare, one has to try the Swype on a Samsung or HTC and then only you'll realize that it's much faster on these (X2 and Lumia) devices.

7 - Design - Robust and sturdy. This won't turn any heads (in black no siree), but the glossy finish does stand out. The rectangular, broad shape does make this a delight to hold. It's again a throwback to phones of yore.

8 - Multi-Tasking - Reminiscent of a mix of iOS and Windows Phone. I like the control that I can manage all background apps in detail, and easily switch between them. Again, this is a 8150 INR phone. A lot for the hardware and the OS.

9 - The Loudspeaker is adequate, though getting jarry at full volume. One below full was tolerable. The comparison was done by running a music video on the iPhone 5S and this device, at full volume. The iPhone was clearer, but this had more depth at lower volumes. Definitely does not compare with the Beats Audio of the HTC, but surely for the price is more than sufficient. During Skype call or phone call was more than sufficient.

10 - A 3rd Party file browser (Astro) is given as standard, but then on a trial basis. I installed ES file explorer, and it did the job.

4. JD666

An unfortunate update.

The phone fell from my bed onto the hard floor below. No scratch or damage, but the screen is not functioning anymore. It powers up, the screen flashes for a second and then I can hear the tone as it boots up. The screen is responding to touch inputs (I feel the phone vibrate when I touch the screen), but no display.

Had there been a protective cover, I'm pretty sure it would've survived the fall. Though the build quality didn't seem flimsy, this event has surely changed matters.

It goes tomorrow to the service centre. Looks to me like a loose display connector (I hope so).

Once it's back up and running, I'll prepare a draft on how to install Whatsapp on your Nokia X series (works for all X models).

5. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Dang , :(

6. JD666

And now repair will take longer since they do not have the frame available. Great. Best part - No lead time on when the spare part would be available. Tch Tch. Nokia, was not expecting this from you guys.

7. JD666

Some clicks of the device -

DSC_0073.jpg

With the HTC One Mini for size comparison.

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

The rear is a glossy finish with the loudspeaker at the bottom and the Camera and LED flash at the top.
    DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

Please ignore the dust, this is a used piece.
    DSC_0080.jpg

The prominent Back and Home buttons that set this device apart from the others. I do not have a screen guard yet, so am using the stock screen sticker that came. You can see that it is peeling off in one corner.

What I would've liked was if the Back and Home buttons were backlit. It's really annoying fumbling for them in the dark.

DSC_0082.jpg

The microphone slot.

If you are upgrading to a Nokia X2, you will enjoy it.

But if you have tasted 720p screens and are finicky about your screen resolution, look elsewhere. The screen has good colors, but is let down by the low resolution.

Attached Files: