Article RAID101 Q3 2014 Mobile Buying Guide

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by Invader, Jul 4, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

[​IMG]

Have a certain budget but confused which phone to go for ? .. well start scrolling and find the one which fits your pocket as well as your needs.

Best one to go for under 5k

Karbonn Smart A50s ( Rs. 2699/- )

karbonn-a50-wide.jpeg

Android v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) OS
    Digital Secondary Camera
    2 MP Primary Camera
    Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB
    3.5-inch TFT LCD Capacitive Touchscreen
    Dual Standby SIM (GSM + GSM)
    1.2 GHz MTK Dual Core Processor
    2gb Internal Memory

The competition was tough in the sub 5k range of mobile phones with other big named brands like Nokia and Lenovo with their very own best to offer the consumer under a strict budget. Among all I came to side with the A50s as it gives users the value for money experience , comes along with better internal memory and a bettery processor running on android Jelly Bean.

Other phones to lookout for :-

Nokia Asha 502 - At roughly 4,600 Rs, it is slightly on the higher side, but the trusted Nokia reliability, ability to run all apps, and Nokia Here Maps does make it a worthy contender.

Lenovo A269i - For 3,600 Rs, it comes with 3g, though limited to Android 2.3. A worthy alternate if you are not looking at Karbonn as a brand.

Best one to go for - 5-10k

Moto-E ( Rs.6999 )

235963-moto-1.jpg

Android v4.4 (KitKat) OS
    1.2 GHz MSM8x10 Dual Core Processor
    Dual Standby SIM (GSM + GSM)
    5 MP Primary Camera
    4.3-inch Touchscreen

We had a clear winner when it came to chosing the best one to go for under 10k. Motorola has gain enourmos popularity with the launch of the Moto-E. The stocks cleaned up in a flash just as soon as it was launched. With the reliable brand of Motorola , the phone has an excellent build quality considering its price. It runs on the latest Android KitKat and there are rumors that this cheap beast will also get the upgrade to the upcoming Android L showcased at Google's I/O held earlier this year.

Other phones to look out for :-

Nokia Lumia 630 - Running the 8.1 Windows OS, this makes for a good Dual SIM alternate. Windows OS has really matured with the 8.1 release, and at about 9,800 Rs, this makes for a good alternate. At this price point, Windows OS is definitely faster than other OS out there.
    Karbonn Titanium S5 - The largest touch screen of the group in question at 5 inches, this is a worthy alternate to those looking at a big screen phone. At 8,500 Rs it's definitely pricier than the Motorola, but you get that important extra real estate.

Best one to go for - 10-15k

Moto-G ( Rs 13999/- )

motogleakaam.jpg

16 GB Internal Memory
    Dual SIM (GSM + GSM)
    5 MP Primary Camera and 1.3 MP Secondary Camera
    1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 Quad Core Processor and 1 GB RAM
    HD Recording
    Android v4.4 (KitKat) OS
    4.5-inch HD Display

Yet again we had another Motorola shine in the league of cell phones under the 15k range. The Moto-G was launched before the Motorola - E and did gain more or about the same amount of popularity as the Moto - E. The build quality is awesome , looks quite sturdy and packs in all the features like latest Android , quad core processor and HD recording enabled .. everything one would want by spending approx 12-13k.

Sony Xperia L - At nearly the same price point you get an 8MP Camera and a slightly smaller screen. So if you are a photography enthusiast, this might be a worthy alternate. Although it's Android 4.1 till now only.

Sony Xperia C - Nearly the same as the L, however comes with a bigger screen at 5 inches.

Samsung Galaxy Grand Neo - At just under 15k, the Galaxy Grand Neo makes for another decent phone in the segment. However take our word, go for the MotoG :D

Best one to go for - 15-20k

Samsung Galaxy S3 ( Rs.19890 )

Samsung-Galaxy-S3-white-blue.jpeg

4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED Display
    Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
    High Energy Efficient
    1.4 GHz Quad Core Processor
    HD Video Playback
    8 MP Primary Camera

The Samsung Galaxy S3 might be an old release with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Samsung Galaxy S5 already in the market but if you are looking to get a phone between the 15-20k mark , it sill is the best choice. With the launch price of the phone being 30k + the Samsung Galaxy S3 was one of the premium phones in the Galaxy line up of phones from Samsung. It is bang for the amount spend. The phone boasts of some quality features like a 1.4ghz quad core processor , a good vivid 4.8'' of HD super amoled screen and the reliable name of Samsung. Though the build quality falls behind that of the Nokia Lumia 1320 and 720 , the S3 wins on performance and value for money at this point of time.

Nokia Lumia 1320 - With a 6 inch screen and the latest 8.1 Windows OS, this is for those looking for that 'Giant Screen' experience. However the lack of 3rd party players spoil the multimedia fun. 17,400 Rs.

Nokia Lumia 720 - One of the best looking Lumia phones out there, it comes with Wireless charging, a snappy camera and a compact design. 16,900 Rs.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini - Does take after it's bigger sibling, however does get limited on several fronts. A compact offering for those looking for something different. 16,800 Rs

Best one to go for - 20-25k

Moto - X ( Rs 23999/- )

motorola-moto-x-1.jpg

Android v4.4 (KitKat) OS
    10 MP Quick Capture Gesture Primary Camera
    1.7 GHz Dual Core Krait CPU
    16 GB Internal Memory
    4.7-inch AMOLED Touchscreen with Active Display
    Touchless Control: OK Google Now
    Miracast Wireless Display
    Moto X Respond to Voice
    Water-repellent Coating

Looks like Motorola is on a spree of launching value for money cell phones in every budget range. Yet again for people with a budget of 20-25k , Motorola wins the race leaving behind its competitors like the Google Nexus 4. The device runs on Android KitKat and packs a 1.7ghz of dual core krait processor. Its the top model from Motorola currently in the Indian scene. The device also features a water proofing coating on it , but I dont think its fully water proof. The build quality is just excellent and its one of those devices which you wont regret buying.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom - For the photography enthusiast. Though the bulge can be cumbersome to handle. 23,800 Rs.

Google Nexus 4 - Still a worthy phone though being superseded by the Nexus 5. 24,000 Rs.

Nokia Lumia 925 - The current Nokia Flagship. Great build quality and camera. 24,000 Rs.

Best one to go for - 25-30k

LG Optimus G2 ( Rs 29759/- )

lg-optimus-g2-optimus-g2-d802-400x400-imadzuu2tgzrphkb.jpeg

Android v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) OS
    5.2-inch Capacitive Touchscreen
    Full HD Recording
    13 MP Primary Camera
    2.1 MP Secondary Camera
    2.26 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 Quad Core Processor

Looks like this list is going to have atleast one phone from all of the leading mobile phone manufactures. This time is the device from LG the Optimus G2 which I think to be best in the budget range. Though the phone comes with the 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Android OS which is predecessor to the KitKat Android OS , the phone wins because of its 2.26ghz qualcomm snapdragon processor and sturdy build quality. The phone is quite popular with the consumers these days afaik as I tend to see one or two of these devices any where I found some crowd. It has big yet not too huge 5.25'' of capacitive touchscreen , IPS HD display and by the looks and feel seems to be quite durable.

Sony Xperia Z -
    The new Xperia Z line has been impressive with features like glass body and full water protection It has a pretty decent camera and the Xperia UI which has some quite cool looks. 27,499Rs.

HTC Desire 816 - This phone packs in a 5mp secondary and a 13mp primary camera. Good for those people who love taking selfies and also likes to capture things around them. Battery is not so good and drains out quick. 25,799Rs.

Samsung Galaxy S4 -
    This device does packs in some good features but fail to impress the market as much as the Galaxy S3 did. The phone was over priced at the time of launch and still we think its 0 value for money at the moment. 29,400Rs.

Best one to go for - 30-35k

Google Nexus 5 (32gb ) (Rs 32630)

179787-whitenexus5.jpg

Built-in Wireless Charging
    4.95-inch Full HD IPS Touchscreen
    Android v4.4 (KitKat) OS
    2 GB RAM
    8 MP Primary Camera
    2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 Processor
    32 GB Internal Storage

Among phones with a premium pricing on them the Google Nexus 5 leads other in its league. Rumored to be the last device in Google's Nexus range of cell phones , the Nexus 5 packs in 2gb of ram with a 2.3ghz snapdragon processor. The screen on this device is a 4.95' full HD IPS touchscreen. The build quality is quite good as same as the other phones from the Nexus range. It also has an Adreno 330 gpu which provides smooth gaming experience. Google has also guranteed the device to receive updates to its latest Android upcoming in the next 18 months. The camera is not so good as compared to other devices in the range but then again it does gives you the latest android and chipset , also the name of Google.

LG G Pro -
    A 5.5-inch 1080p Full HD IPS Screen and a battery capacity of 3410 mAh makes this phone worth to go for. Though other features on this device is limited. It has some impressive looks and the build quality is fairly average afaik. 31,499Rs

Sony Xperia Z1 -
    A good 20.7mp camera and a quadcore 2.2ghz processor brings this device in the list for other phones one should try out atleast once before getting their hands on what is described as the best in the range. The Z1 is the successor to the Xperia Z and has many improvements over the Z. 35,799Rs.

Samsung Galaxy S5 -
    The latest device in the Galaxy S range and yet again Samsung did fail to impress the users. Same design pattern with just a bit of technical upgrade and a good upgrade on the pricing. The S5 even being the flagship device of Samsung lacks what it needs to catch the users eye. 34,909Rs.

Apple iPhone 5c -
    The Apple device with some gorgeous color options and a plastic body. The 5c was introduced to the users who are on a tight budget but still want to experience iOS. Though it was not even close to being considered cheap in the Indian market. 34,300Rs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To conclude ,these were the devices one should look for in his appropriate budgets according to what I found out after researching a bit. Others may have different opinions and they are welcome to share what they think should have been there instead of one these phones highlighted in the article. As the cell phone market in India is huge and there are more and more devices coming into the market , the prices could differ.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 50 Points (Well written) Jul 8, 2014
    BANHAMMER: 50 Points (here take some internet currency.) Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    Nicko and JD666 like this.
  2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Keep up the good work invader, I am going to shower you with more reps soon.

Invader likes this.
  3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Good recommendations all round..

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

This is top first page, face book material

JD666 likes this.
  5. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

nice work. I would like to also recommend the Lenovo P780 in the 10-15,000 Rs segment. At 13,500, it packs a 4000 mAH battery, that makes for a device that's hard to exhaust under heavy usage.

6. dbg

The Xiomi MI3

[​IMG]

Xiomi is entering the Indian market with MI - 3 bearing Flasgship specs for a price lower than mid range phone.

14k gets you 5" 1080p Display + 2 GB RAM + 16 Memory + Snapdragon 800 Quad Core SoC + 13 MP Camera.

7. JD666

I have seen these phones in person during my recent trips to China. They look amazing. My only suspicion lies with the battery life and quality. How durable the battery will be and how long it'll hold it's charge, one cannot say.

8. dbg

Xiaomi shifted 26.11 million handsets in 1H14, an increase of 271% from a year earlier — and more than its total phone sales for the full-year 2013 (18.7 million).

And it launched in 2011 only .. Xiomi is making waves globally.

9. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

the MI3 is the steal deal currently .. between the 10-15k range ..

10. ViKiD

ViKiD RAID Rookie

Just get the iPhone 5s. Best phone ever!.

11. dbg

i?#@*&%!^$~ ..

12. JD666

In the 45-50k category. Yes, I couldn't agree more.

13. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

I'm already in the market of buying a phone for myself .My current phone is more or less outdated (MOTO defy XT) that its now getting unbearable (I won't go into further details regarding it ).

I was eyeing Moto X , but then I found moto is about to launch Moto X+1 or X2 .For the same reason, I stopped myself from ordering it yesterday .

HTC 816 looks like a good deal as well ,but screen seems to be too big .

Xiomi MI3 looks like a good deal ,but servicing would be an issue .Since ,its new in the market .

What I want from a phone :

1.Should last for around 2 years.
    2.Would be using Astronomy app's (hence no window phones )
    3.Decent Internal memory .
    4 Good looking phone

JD666 likes this.
  14. dbg

Moto X for the 20-25k range.

Under 20k then get the MI3.

15. JD666

I would recommend your phone to be dual boot, so you can run the intensive apps when you need it, and use the phone otherwise as a regular feature phone when not. This will help save battery life and keep your phone clutter free.

16. dbg

Huh ?

There are apps like Greenify which totally kill apps and prevent them from using the phone.

I have most of the apps on my phone frozen like FB which never use any battery unless I launch them.

Only important apps like WhatsApp and other IMs are perpetually active.

17. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Ok Guys, hows life everyone?

I need a phone. I smashed my beloved Moto G a week ago in a fit of rage.

So, I am looking for my next phone which will work fine.

What matters to me?
    - Battery life and accurate GPS.
    - I do not need 4G, 3G shall suffice.
    - Budget, lesser it is better it shall be.
    - Screen should be decent, can live with anything above 250+ ppi screen.
    - I don't know but will I be able to get decent apps on Windows Mobile OS?

18. dbg

So a mid-range Android device as your primary phone, 720p screen.

Shall I suggest the Moto X - buying any Android right now, you should be considering its upgradebility to Android L.

19. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Battery life?

Moto E looks like a nice option to me for for 130$.

Ques I have on Moto E - Is 4GB onboard memory enough for Android?

I remember my Nexus One used to go pedantic with low memory on phone all the time.

Won't that happen with Moto E too?

20. dbg

You can forget about games n stuff. You get like 2.2 GB free after OS install and you need to keep some space free for OTA updates when they come.
    Certain large apps dont let you install on the Memory Card.

With 4.4 Android apps can be moved to SD Card if they support it. You should be fine overall,

Goto Settings - Apps and move the required App files to the SD Card to free up Internal Memory.