Renault Kwid - A-Segment compact SUV - Global launch in India

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Aug 27, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

With a 97% localization, Renault have outdone themselves in launching the new Kwid. An all new design, based on their CMF-A or B0 platform. The Kwid is a sub 4 meter hatchback, that offers a 180mm ground clearance, and Baby-SUVish features.

quid01.jpg

With styling cues from the Logan/Symbol, the front is unmistakeably Renault. Big air dam, huge lower lip. What I like is the treatment done to the sides with the plastic cladding on the fenders front and rear.

quid02.jpg

The Kwid appears similar to a Nissan Juke or Renault's own, Captur. I like the high sill rear with the wrap around lights. The C-Pillar might be a bit broad for some, but it does well to add to the overall design/profile.

The wheel arches do have quite some gap, probably the higher model would have bigger tires. I suspect they should be 13 inchers all 4 sides with regular 145/155 profile tires.

quid03.jpg

The rear is the better of the two ends, when compared to the front. It looks classier, better styled. Apparently news reports state that the boot space is perhaps the best in the segment currently.

What is the current segment that the Kwid enters? The A-segment, comprising of the Tata Nano, Alto 800, Hyundai Eon, Alto K-10 and the likes.

With a starting price tag of 3.00 Lakhs, the Kwid should not only cover the entry level segment, but also hit above its weight with the offerings it brings to the scene.

quid04.jpg

The Kwid should be powered by a 800cc - 3-cylinder Petrol engine, mated to a 5-Speed Manual. An Automatic or AMT version should also be brought in as top of the line to compete with the Suzuki Celerio and other AMT offerings.

I was watching the manufacturing process, and the Kwid features a dead axle setup at the rear, with drum brakes, and a regular McPherson strut setup at the front.

Performance should be within the current segment, keeping in mind that fuel-efficiency plays a crucial role here. 0-100 is claimed to be 12 seconds by some publications, but I would keep it between the 15-18 seconds range. Any faster and we would have a sport hatch on our hands in India :D

quidint01.jpg

The interiors are well laid out and simple to look at (easier to manufacture, with lesser defects). The higher variant of the Kwid will come with a 6 inch Info-tainment system that offers Bluetooth connectivity, navigation and regular entertainment options. Considering how sparse this segment can be, these should definitely appeal to the buyers.

Essentially, if the exterior and the high appeal SUVish feel doesn't get you, they'll make sure they get you when you sit inside. I'm assuming a high entry and exit point, which should be a plus with elderly in the family. This is a high ground clearance vehicle, but without the tall-boy profile.

The information display cluster is fully digital, with no analog dials present.

quidint02.jpg

The symbols do indicate that in terms of safety features, the Kwid would be offered with Airbags. A diesel variant is also quite possible, if Renault can try and get one small enough.

I like the information cluster, but I hope they do offer brightness control.

quidint03.jpg

The dials are no nonsense regular stuff. Disclaimer - Images of the Kwid on the internet suggest a plainer plastic finish rather than the high glossed digital images shared here.

When Tata announced the Nano project (minus the name), Nissan and Renault were the first ones to take notice (and if I remember correctly, one of the presidents wished him well on the project). After seeing the project pan out, it was no secret that they were working on a car of their own. However it seems, they've first learnt, How Not To Build A Cheap Car in India, and then made their own standards to meet.

The Renault Kwid is designed to be sold globally, but with an interesting twist. Renault intends doing this by having manufacturing and assembly in the country where it is sold. So for e.g. if they were to launch this in another Asian market, they might supplement initial production with exports from India, but would then manufacture it locally, to be able to keep costs low.

Currently another highlight is that super high (97%) localization factor, which helps keep costs low and manufacturing efficient.

I am personally going to check this Hatch out once it hits the market. This is surely going to spice things up, and probably save Renault/Nissan in the Indian market.

Here's a video on the Kwid for those interested -

Images sourced from Renault India

2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Looks rather nice.

3. JD666

That it does. I'm actually wondering if they price the Auto right, I'll upgrade mom's Eon to this.

4. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Is her Eon auto?

5. JD666

Nope, manual. The next one has to be an Auto. I'm quite towards the EcoSport Auto for the high driving position, but she finds it a tad big. So it has to be an A-Segment vehicle, with AMT. Additional safety features would be a plus plus.

6. JD666

So pricing and more details were revealed today when the vehicle was launched. The Kwid is priced between 2.65 and 3.55 Lakhs currently.

The engine is a 799CC 3 cylinder Petrol, putting out 54 BHP and 7.4 KgM of torque. Importantly 80% of this torque is available from 1200 RPM.

The kerb weight is 660 kgs (which is pretty low compared to other vehicles), and the fuel tank has a capacity of 28liters.

This is definitely going to be a game changer, provided Renault can keep up with the demand and sales.

To be launched later would be a 1.oL, 4 cylinder, with AMT transmission. This is the one that I'm interested in.

7. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

This is good.