Discussion Replacement panels - Xiaomi Redmi 2 / Redmi 2 Prime

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Oct 18, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

The Xiaomi Redmi 2 has been commonly available in one color only - White. Some people have been lucky enough to get their hands on a Black variant. The white color personally does not appeal to me, but at the price it was too tempting to let go. So by some twist, I ended up with not one, but two Redmi 2 devices.

Anyhow, the white cover was bugging me, so I ordered some replacement panels or shells for the device online. And I am so impressed with the quality, finish and fit, that they are practically OEM quality as far as I am concerned.

IMG_9001.jpg

From L-R - The white panel that the device came with, Black (which is more like Steel Grey) and Sapphire Blue.

IMG_9002.jpg

These are OEM panels, just that banggood is selling them unbranded.

IMG_9003.jpg

Only strange bit was that the Blue was white on the inside. Note the grille mesh in all three.

Meanwhile I am working on a OnePlus Textured finish on one spare white panel. Work is in progress, but currently it looks like this -

IMG_9005.jpg

This is texture spray paint that hardens to a rough finish (similar to what you would have on the One Plus, only this won't be as durable). I will finish it with a matt black spray to fill in the gaps, and provide a uniform layer as well.

Moving back to the panels, if you are interested in getting one, they are available in many other colors as well - Blue, Mint Green, Pink, Golden, Black, Sapphire Blue and White. Of these, I feel the Black and Sapphire Blue are the best colors out there.

Check the item out here -

Multi-color Replacement Battery Back Cover For Xiaomi Redmi 2 Smartphone Sale-Banggood.com

Shipping and delivery took 2 weeks to be precise (ordered on 3rd Oct, delivered 17th). At 6$ a piece, it is quite easy to simply replace the panel once it wears off, rather than buying covers for the device.

Again, these are OEM quality, so there's no difference between these and the ones that come on the phone.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I got one of the tempered glass back ones which give a similar look to iPhone 4/5

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I got that, but the finish was not that good. I have one lying around in fact if you want it.