RIP Nokia, Microsoft Launches first Lumia branded with its name - Lumia 535

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Nov 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yep, The familiar Nokia logo at the top has finally been replaced by Microsoft. The Lumia 7XX series was probably the last to feature the Nokia Logo, and so was the Nokia X2, a device with great potential, but surprizingly orphaned right after launch.

Anyhow, though the device does not bring anything new to the scenario, it does indicate what Microsoft is looking at doing with Windows Phone. And that is to target the lower end of the segment. First up, the device -

lumia-535_front_green-100529751-orig.jpg

lumia-535_back_green-100529750-orig.jpg

Lumia-535-apps-jpg.jpg

Lumia-535-windows-jpg.jpg

Lumia-535-hero1-jpg.jpg

The specs are nothing great to write about to be honest, but it packs the following -

- 5 inch 960x480 resolution display - IPS LCD, Gorilla Glass 3

- 1GB RAM

- 8 GB on board storage + expandable via Micro SD card upto 128 GB

- Quad Core SnapDragon 200 Processor clocked at 1.2 Ghz

- 1900 mAH (1907 to be precise) battery

- Dual SIM

- 3G only

- It has a front camera that is 5MP, same as the rear camera

- Video recording is in a resolution called FWVGA - 848x480 - Never heard this before

With a launch price of approximately 8,400 INR, this does make for a decent buy, but only for those who find Windows Phone appealing enough. For everyone else, I'm pretty sure they can't get enough of the Androids flooding the market at the moment.

Microsoft has tried something which they call the 5x5x5 Approach - The first one for the 5 inch screen, the second for the 5 MP camera, both front and back and the 3rd one for the 5 built in Apps like Skype, Office, One Drive storage (15GB free), One Note and Outlook.

Will it sell? Well I have seen Nokia purists stick to Nokia even when their phones were overwhelmingly unimpressive. Some buyers might not even notice the difference, while others might want to consider another device, purely for the fact that this device is another run of the mill Lumia.

What I would like MS to do?

- Change and re-vamp the Lumia numbering and come out with clear series, preferably a new series like 2-4-6-8XX and make them the flagship of the range. All odd numbered like 1-3-5-7-9 can be a slightly different version (Dual SIM, cheaper body etc etc).

Right now there's a 535, 530 and a 520. Which are more than enough to confuse the regular Joe.

- Work on improving apps and letting Internet Explorer go. It is sadly not happening. Do a review/research of the most commonly used apps and get them under their own umbrella. This will not only ensure quality apps, but those that are tailored to make the most out of their hardware and windows software.

- A third party Browser that works. FireFox are you listening!

Cheers

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

lol, this pleases me. The sad demise so near.
    Good job Nokia, shooting yourself in the foot.

3. JD666

If only Nokia would've worked on Android, while developing their MeeGo OS that has been developed now for Jolla.

4. BANHAMMER

Jola is looking good, I want one.

5. JD666

Much cheaper in India, around 16k I think. EU price is 30k!

6. BANHAMMER

Exactly my point.
    That being said, yesterday I was sitting behind a lady who was using M$ phone and I quickly peeked at interface. I have never seen a more disgusting looking interface in my life.

7. JD666

I like the speed and responsiveness. There are no custom widgets given, but from a user perspective, even the entry level phones do not lag or stutter.

This somehow appeals to the 3310/3350/8310 user in me

8. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

This info will instigate street brawls amongst android and window users. I wish I could carry a gun with me everywhere.

JD666 likes this.
  9. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

Here we go, In race of Apple someone has turned into guava ! Looking forward for Nokia to comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD666 likes this.