RIP Omar Sharif

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by JD666, Jul 11, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

The legendary, truly international super star is no more. He passed away of a heart attack at the age of 83.

Winner of 3 Golden Globes and an Oscar Nomination as well, he was aptly titled Actor without Borders.

Though better known for his roles in Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago, Omar Sharif also starred with Barbara Streisand (debut) in Funny Girl, and with Julie Andrews in The Tamarind Seed. He was not only a good actor, but a very good singer as well.

His movies later on lost their charm, and were more out a necessity to pay for his gambling debts, rather than having any involvement to do with his talents.

He was also a renowed bridge player, one of the best in the world.

As a kid I remember watching Lawrence of Arabia and the name Omar Sharif was somehow stuck in my brain. I don't remember noticing him in any other movies, but apparently his last big feature was Hidalgo, the story of the race across the desert with Viggo Mortesen, and The 13th Warrior, with Antonio Banderas.

Sharif_in_Lawrence_of_Arabia.png

RIP. Hope other talent remembers you, and your passing away inspires them to walk in your footsteps to be recognized internationally.