Royal Enfield Launches the 500, price released

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Apr 13, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

In a new shade of Forest Green.

What it gets, are the disc brakes and the 500cc twinspark engine from the Classic.

What it does not, is the fuel injection system (which should thankfully make it easier to tune and ride)

It also gets a small pillion grab rail at the back, and a much pronounced step in the seat.

The rear looks better, and squatter with the 18 inch, wide tyre at the back.

Price not yet disclosed, but knowing RE, Expect this to be around the 1.5 Lakh mark easily.

Power - 26.1 BHP at 5100rpm ( i like the fact that they still print BHP and not PS)

Torque - 40.9 Nm at 3800 rpm. To put it into perspective, the Nano produces 54 Nm of torque and that's a 600 kg Four-Wheel car!

The kerb weight is a beefy 193 kgs, and the Headlight is a powerful 60/55 unit.

Impressive.

Some pics from the site -

1.png 7.png 10.png 13.png 16.png

MrsJD666 likes this.
  2. MrsJD666

MrsJD666 Ruling the Devil Staff Member

There is something to the thump of the RE which is missing in all other bikes. But unfortunately, the noise it makes is not what makes it sell.

JD666 likes this.
  3. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

The best bike ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JD666

With an on-road price of 1,54,000/- (Delhi)

turbo99i likes this.
  5. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

For some reason the nostalgic look of classic with no messing around serious looks is simply unbeatable.

JD666 likes this.
  6. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

What a beauty, absolutely gorgeous. This looks like a real bike unlike the most toys which we see on road.

JD666 likes this.
  7. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Needs a full matte-black finish :D

8. JD666

^^ Matte black is harder to maintain than it looks. You can wipe it too much, lest the matt effect wears off. Can't polish it properly and wherever your feet/knees/legs will touch/rub against the paint, it will eventually wear out and become glossy.

9. dbg

^^ :(

I'm still waiting for some radical design change or least a more 'modern' variant.

10. JD666

+1 to that bro. Waiting for a 700cc v-twin, with a new chassis, low height, a proper cruiser styling!

11. BANHAMMER

Is that just a random fanboy fantasy or are they working on something like that?

12. JD666

Apparently ever since Harley made inroads into India, they have been working behind the scenes to make something Indian, something uber powerful, over 700cc, and priced around 2.5-3 Lakhs to give the HDs a run for their money.

R&D does take time, but this has been on for around 3 years now.

13. BANHAMMER

I saw a video of a guy doing this using some of his personal ideas. It was called The musket. Royal Enfield V-Twin – The Musket
    but this is not official. This is just one person who did it in 4 years, whole company can do it faster.

14. dbg

700 cc VTwin on that Chassis is an accident waiting to happen.
    This needs something like a Deltabox frame

15. BANHAMMER

I am very sure that guy know much about chassis and engines than both of us combined together.

16. dbg

It seems a concept design .. I don't think even he would cruise at the full potential of that 700cc twin.

17. JD666

700cc twins have been made out of the RE engine.
    Infact there was a gentleman in Switzerland by the name of Fritz Egli IIRC, who used to sell a 650cc kit, and a 700cc v-twin kit. You simply bought the items needed for converting your single cylinder into a double from him.

The RE chassis (Interceptor) used to handle 54 bhp and a top speed over 180 kmph. So they have the basic idea in place.

18. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

The issue with RE V twin is thermal stability of the rear block. If RE will launch a twin, it will be more like interceptor parallel twin. With parallel setup the cradle will be happy as it is, will not upset the handling and stop excessive chassis modification. For dynamic balance, parallel twin makes more sense, supports the economics should RE decides to put in balancer shaft. Yes, aesthetics, V twin looks cool, but RE wouldn't spent a fortune to get something which will blow price out of proportion. RE V win works well in theory as of now, considering the commercials and durability, significant redesign will be required and we won't be able to use the conventional tooling used so far to make dirt cheap components.

JD666 and initpidzero like this.
  19. TheDuke

TheDuke RAID Rookie

RE has kind of lost it's respect, with anybody riding one. Saw a guy going mad on the new Thunderbird 500. He was riding a sports bike, not a RE.

20. JD666

True that, RE has lost its charm, especially with the new crowd, but then a company's gotta make money to stay alive..