Scope for a 5-8 Lakh Diesel Automatic

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Dec 28, 2012.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I was just researching cars for a friend, who was looking at a Diesel Automatic. And to my surprise, the cheapest Diesel Automatic available in India is the Hyundai Verna! At 11 Lakhs!!

And the next cheapest is the Scorpio Diesel Automatic at 12+ Lakhs.

Wondering why no manufacturer is contemplating an Auto Box Diesel. After the launch of the Ritz Automatic, it does make sense for manufacturers to consider a Diesel Auto in a small form as well.

Ford can / should be able to do it with the Figo, and still price it below 7L. Chevy could try it with the Beat at around 6.5L.

The i10 Automatic, and Maruti's response, the A-Star Automatic, do indicate that there is scope for such vehicles, since if people are ready to accept them in the Petrol avatar, then Diesel would surely be taken well by the masses.

Maybe something that Fiat could look into with the Punto and the Linea??? ;)

turbo99i likes this.
  2. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

agreed JD666 i also want to buy a small diesel automatic in the next 2-3 yrs as petrol is expensive over short distances where i have to constantly brake & change gears & its a pain for my left hand & foot.i'am yearning for an automatic diesel car fast.

3. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I'd love one too.

JD666 likes this.
  4. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

There is a simple reason as why car makers are not after small diesel and auto box. The car industry is driven by demand of product which in effect funds the development cost, rule of thumb, if you aren't making 5 million of it per year there aint any fund for it! At the moment the demand for a small auto box doesn't support business case and on the top cost of after treatment is increasing with tighter emission control, making lil oil burners more expensive to produce. For day to day use small diesels have tendency to shoot up everything making warranty claims higher. Small diesel is all about economy and 95th percentile customer wants a stick shift in APA unfortunately. The day when Americans will burn oil, market will be flooded with diesel autos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD666 and MOZ like this.
  5. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Makes sense.

6. JD666

Hmmm... but having a versatile engine such as the Fiat multijet, won't it make sense, since they could use it as a premium offering in their higher end diesel sedans?

7. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

Fiat engine is developed for low cost vehicle application. At the moment the mulit-jet I reckon produces up to 90ps and the target customer is A/B segment vehicle. The cost of small car is already high enough at the entry level; having anything on the top will make it unsalable. Real Autos nowadays are TCU controlled hence to make it go in small car will drive up the cost. The perfect example is the B class Mercedes, if you need a proper Auto you goto have the proper controller, mechanical Autos doesn’t live up to the fuel efficiency expectations. It’s a trade of game and as I said there isn’t much demand for it. The Autobox demand is less than 1%, you tell me can you be bothered as an OEM? Course if you are an Accord customer, or BMW you won’t like a shifter do you? You need an Auto, and all of them! Its funny how Automotive industry operates J

8. JD666

The idea being, that A-star and the i10 are selling well in their auto models.

Basically Maruti came up with the A-star automatic, after they saw sales of i10 automatic. The i10 automatic comprises nearly 30% of sales in Gurgaon ( Metro city ), as per the dealer from whom we got our i10.

My logic was that, diesel hatches are already high in demand, adding an auto box option would be like icing on the cake :) But yes, I do understand the cost requirements etc.

If a diesel hatch is 1Lakh above its petrol counter part. A Diesel automatic would be 1.7-1.8 lakhs or more even. Justifying that difference won't be easy.

But for a low cost diesel hatch like Beat or Figo, it could be something, but then again the engines are not as powerful :(

9. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

I think it’s to do with calibration & durability against cost of the project. I can understand what you are stating about Gurgaon, but you may have to consider Nation/worldwide requirements. Unless the parent company mates an Auto with the engine, child or sister can’t on their own, as they don’t have enough resource, knowhow and funds for the activity. Petrol Autos do exist around, because small car petrol are sold world over and moreover they are peanuts to produce as they are particularly popular amongst city dwellers and elderly. I believe soon there will be enough demand to kick of a study of Auto mating 1-1.6L diesel engines. Think like this a 3.0L V6 CDI with Auto gives 30-32MPG and manual 38-40! Which one do you want?

JD666 likes this.
  10. JD666

Hyundai has done it with the diesel Verna ( I think its a 1.6L Diesel ). However yes I do get your point. :)

11. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

I want a car with 1.2Ldiesel in B segment, with Auto, doing 22 kmpl under 6 lakhs! can I ahve that. See that the customer!

12. JD666

Nope.. a manual would cost that much.