Advise Seeding and storage mess!!!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by BANHAMMER, Jul 22, 2014.

Share This Page

1. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I need a way to arrange my hard drives and my torrents.

Drives
    1. I have three hard drives
    a) 1 TB Elements 2.0
    b) 2 TB My passport 3.0
    c) 1TB internal Caviar black sata 2.0.
    d) SSD & internal laptop drives,these two play no roles here but mentioning for sake of completion

2. Elements have all my songs, old back up, old movies and lot of torrents seeding from it. The drive is more or less full
    3. Passport is new drive, which has all new animations and movies downloading to it. All new torrents seed from Passport
    4. Caviar black is just a replica of Elements but a bit more organised.

Connection
    1. Elements and Passport are connect to my laptop, which is running Linux. It is my main seeding/downloading machine. I am still using internet on it, but nothing else.

2. Caviar black is connected as internal drive to my Rig(The Deathdancer), it is used to copy some media which needs to be run locally from Windows and it also serves as "program files" for any non windows installation. I don't want to put crap on SSD.

3. Elements and Passport are currently shared through Samba between my laptop and The Deathdancer.

I am not happy with this setup. I am thinking of moving my backup from Elements to passport, transfer all the seeding media from my passport to Elements and keeping Elements purely for downloading, but I am not sure if 1TB would be enough for future. I think I am somewhere at 400 GB downloaded/seeding. Passport is USB 3.0 so it is better if I connect it directly to the Deathdancer because it can use it better than my laptop.
    So I am looking for suggestion as to how to optimise this set up. Also relocating seeding media is giant pain in the butt.

2. BANHAMMER

I would like to add that I am going to get another WD Blue 1 TB to the mix next month or something. black is 2.0, so it is not all that optimum for program files.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Your problem is too many low capacity drives

4. JD666

Keep one 1 tb in the rig with the SSD.

sell all the rest and get either two 3 tb or one 3 and one 4. Use the bigger one for seeding from your laptop and the smaller one for sharing etc.

Keep duplicate back up of essential stuff only on both. Rest data can be different. This ways you are slimmed down and future storage ready.

You could use the 500 gig for a recovery disk as well. Once your rig is set up just save all the data to the 500 as a recovery drive and store it safely.

5. BANHAMMER

Selling drive is not really an option because it makes no sense here in UK.
    Also large drives failure could be more disastrous that is why I get smaller ones and replicate data. At one point I have CDs copied to the hard drive and thought that was essential data.

6. JD666

What are you looking at then?

7. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Do you absolutely need to seed those torrents? If not, ditch it. Setup all the downloaded/non-seeding stuff to your Elements and WD Cavier in RAID-1 if you must keep a back complete replica. Seeding stuff can go in the Passport. The new WD Blue can be your program files.

It would help if you can tell us how much data you have, seeding, downloading, downloaded/non-seeding.

8. BANHAMMER

I have to maintain a ratio. Also it is only torrent site I use post torrentocalypse.

9. MOZ

Hmm, then you will have to take the pain of moving the stuff from the Elements to the Passport.

10. BANHAMMER

Yeah plus rehashing the torrents

11. JD666

That does not take long

12. BANHAMMER

yeah, usually it doesnt but the location verification shit always gets ?#@*&%!^$~ed up.

13. MOZ

Put in the effort and get it done already!

14. BANHAMMER

yeah, I am moving over 500 GB data around, it will take some time.
    So far I have moved about half of it. I don't even know where my hd movies have all disappeared suddenly, that is one of the reasons why I dread data migration.