News Seiki 50-inch Breaks the Ultra HDTV Price Barrier

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by RajaPraveen, May 6, 2013.

Share This Page

1. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

Seiki 50-inch Breaks the Ultra HDTV Price Barrier
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Less than one week after Sony announced its 55-inch Ultra High Definition TV will retail for $5000, Chinese TV maker Seiki Digital just introduced a 50-inch UHDTV that is street priced at $1299.99. It is available now for purchase. The Seiki UHDTV has an LED LCD edge lit panel with a rated 120 Hz refresh. More details after the break.

The Seiki’s model number is SE50UY04. Screen resolution is 3840 x 2160, four times the HDTV standard. Specifications include 3 HDMI inputs as well as analog RGB. Both types inputs permit the viewing of native UHD content, however it is limited to 24 Hz, 25 Hz (for Europe) and 30 Hz sources (according to their spec sheet). The current HDMI standard does not permit the viewing of content with higher refresh rates and the next generation of HDMI chipsets that will accept higher refresh source material will not be available until later this year.

The big issue for all UHD potential buyers is the lack of native UHD resolution content. Seiki purchasers have no access to any native UHD (4K) content. Sony will be offering a 4K media player this summer for $700 complete with 10 UHD movie titles included, however according to a Sony spokesperson, the player will not work any other brand of UHDTV.

Sony, Panasonic and Samsung are now offering 2013 model Blu-ray players that will upconvert native 1080p movies to UHDTV resolution.

Seiki Digital is a division of Chinese TV builder Tong Fang Global. They own and operate several TV factories in China and according to its website they have an output capacity of 10 million TVs a year.

Seiki Digital plans to show members of the press its UHD TV next week. If it goes off as scheduled, we’ll report our “hands-on” experience. The TV is currently available for purchase from Tiger Direct.​

source : Seiki 50-inch Breaks the Ultra HDTV Price Barrier | HD Guru

JD666 and dbg like this.
  2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I think anything around the 50-55 inch mark is the most one would buy for a 'normal upper class' household. Unless you wanna chuck your room dimensions, viewing distance, angle etc out the window and install the largest possible size that your wall can take. What say?

3. RajaPraveen

The great thing is that this television is available in ebay.com for 1400$ with free world wide shipping, the same company plans to launch 64" 4k and 39" 4k monitor for amazing price.

I think this 50" 4k television will be a all in one solution as a monitor and television, also future proof when console gaming become 4k, pc games already support 4k.

I wanted to buy a 64" plasma but now full hd feels like old news :p i have to get my self one of these to use with my pc and consoles, i was hesitant of getting big screens as monitors because they all were limited to full HD now things are getting very interesting.

Sony sell their 80" 4k television for 25k dollars while Samsung sells a similar television but with full array local dimming led back lighting for 40k dollars so considering all this 4k in 50" @ 1500$ is day time robbery.

dbg and JD666 like this.
  4. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I'm in the same boat as RajaPraveen, we got our HDTV around 6 years back, when HD was no where in India. Time to upgrade?

5. RajaPraveen

Sure, adapting to new technology at least for me has always been fun.