Setting Up a Home Media/Entertainment System

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by bLudSh0t, Sep 10, 2012.

Share This Page

1. bLudSh0t

bLudSh0t RAID Rookie

Hi Guys, I am going to set up a Home Media/Entertainment System at my place. Collecting the basic necessary requirements right now. I little constrained on the budget but still trying to get whatever I can

The plan is to setup LED TV + Apple TV (jailbroken, XBMC installed), AirPort Express connected to speakers, Wireless Router with External HD (currently have a new Asus N13U lying unused) and finally iPhone, iPad and iPod touch and windows laptops.

I have bought the AirPort Express. Will get an Apple TV 2 soon since ATV3 cant be jailbroken so it wont have XBMC (ATV needs XBMC to stream media from SMB, DLNA without iTunes on a PC/MAC). Already have iphones, ipad, pcs/laptops.

Will Asus N13U when flashed to DD-WRT run samba fine? It wont run DLNA for sure so how will that impact me? Cant it have samba configured on updated stock firmware?

Should I get a new router:
    1. AirPort Extreme? Suppports samba for sure but not DLNA
    2. D-Link Systems HD Media Router 3000? Supports DLNA, samba I dont know.
    3. OR Stick to N13U
    I will keep the post updated on the progress and post a log and a step by step guide once I'm done with this set up.

2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Experienced using XBMC?

Ping me when you get to that part, been using it for a loooooooooong time.

bLudSh0t likes this.
  3. bLudSh0t

bLudSh0t RAID Rookie

Sure! I've recently started using it on my iPad, not explored too much.. would love to unleash it to the max :D
    Shortlisting NAS enclosures/NAS drives right now..

4. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

u can stream directly to apple tv from iPad / iPhone via airplay.. as far as i kno as long as it is on the same wifi network.. i use it for the same to stream to my iMac + MB pro.. in fact even vlc supports airplay

5. bLudSh0t

bLudSh0t RAID Rookie

I know I can mirror them but I want to access content directly from the NAS. Mirroring would just be an addon.