So according to apple kernel programming is black magic

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by BANHAMMER, Sep 21, 2012.

Share This Page

1. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

This is one of those things where I should take it as massive moment of tactical facepalm on providing all kinds of misleading information.

[​IMG]

Full details.
    LoadingÂ…

If i start following this guide, I should pack my bags and leave for kashi or vridnavan.

ANY PERSONAL ATTACK ON THIS THREAD WILL LEAD TO IMMEDIATE BAN.

2. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

its one of those 'Open' things that crAPPLE will never get right... they always want the laymen to live within their beautiful walled garden

initpidzero likes this.
  3. BANHAMMER

Yes, that is the whole ideology. If it were to apple they would eliminate all human though process my pumping some kind of gas to keep everyone in state of stasis.

harryneopotter likes this.
  4. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

jeez thats what scarecrow does best... they might start poisoning Apples with some hallucinating drug though

5. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Though kernel programming is not black magic. The document dispenses invaluable advise.
    Drivers should aptly be in userspace and not kernel space except for few ones.

6. BANHAMMER

And what makes you say that? What all drivers should be in user space?

7. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Because anything in userspace can be restarted easily(Hint buggy drivers ). Any rogue driver can be killed easily.
    Any driver bugs do not bring down your box and can be restarted with a proper recovery action taken.

8. BANHAMMER

But, we both know that is not one of the biggest problems kernel developers have to deal with. Putting driver in user space will strain memory management severely and complicate dealing with DMA and high mem, not to mention the number of context switches required to carry out basic function like receiving packets on a interrupt driven ethernet driver. I am not even sure if most drivers can be actually written in user space without seriously modifying the under lying kernel system substantially undoing a lot of work done to optimize the usage.