Discussion Some reasons why Nimbuzz could be better than Whatsapp

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by JD666, Feb 24, 2013.

Share This Page

1. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Its encrypted .. also the app needs to have a database of the previous messages received otherwise each message will be deleted as soon as it is read/recvd.

The backup is to ensure incase your factory reset your phone or reinstall your app you message database is safe.

Every IM saves your messages pretty much, unless there is an "off the record" option like Hangouts/Google Chat

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Off the record doesn't mean it cannot be retrieved though.

3. dbg

To be retrieved it has to he saved somewhere..

4. BANHAMMER

exactly, google servers are saving pretty much everything. I doubt it ever goes away.

5. dbg

Pretty much even the layman knows that your communications aren't 100% secure, you just have the word of corporation to live by .. Whether it be Google saying 'we don't store your off-record-messages' or Pepsi saying 'we don't use pesticide laden waters to make your favorite summer drink'

You have to take certain things at facevalue because there is no other choice.

The TnC of WhatsApp state that the messages are not stored on their servers once delivered so its logical for the app to save all the conversations locally.

6. BANHAMMER

Given how aggressive data retrieval is, I doubt all this is material. I mean if NSA wants to know shit it would and logically speaking stuff getting stored is easiest way for that. I donno how much google is in cahoots with them though.

7. dbg

Well I suppose the "Do you have anything to hide ?" debate does hold some merit then, I am unconcerned with a corporation or the NSA knowing about my Emails & Chats -- I need privacy from the people I know and who can affect my life directly. That's my immediate and bigger concern. My online activities personally are of no consequence to a surveiling authority,

Google/Fb/NSA can know all about my latest holiday or weekend party but my boss shouldn't - that's what it ultimately boils down to.

Unless you build a computer from scratch and use an network that you devised and control there is no surety of your data/comms being safe. And if your govt. wants your data they can very well pick you up at the middle of the night, cart you off to a secret prision under the pretense of national security -- that's our reality in 2014.

8. BANHAMMER

Well, you are right about that.
    But you can be incriminated by your data whereas it might not be directly related but taken out of context or atleast used to decredit you and then use to incriminate you.
    I am watching too many crime related crappy series lately, no not really.

9. dbg

Being incriminated by any 'private data' would only make sense when there is a fair trial in a court of law -- and if you consider the flipside - Any law enforcement/security agency would love paint a whole trial with the search history of an accused terrorist. Get a warrant then do whatever you like.

10. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

11. dbg

12. BANHAMMER

Yeah, but I am worried about all the sex chat we had dbg, I don't want the world to know about our closet tendencies.

13. dbg

When you say the world, who do you mean -- you friends/family/coworkers (ie your world) ... or some perv Google Engineer on the other side of the world.

As I type this down, my ISP can be logging and storing each bit of data I transfer in this post.

14. BANHAMMER

I mean people we know on facebook, yes facebook. Those are the real people we care about and they care back.
    fb frands are yo best frands.

15. crackpot

crackpot RAID Rookie

Nimbuzz is blocked in many countries. That is a negative against it.

16. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

True that. I don't like the lack of control that WhatsApp gives. And everyone I know is no WhatsApp. That's the only main reason for having it.