Spurious/Duplicate Alcohol for sale in Premium Restaurants

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by JD666, Oct 25, 2012.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yup, the dark side of the Restaurant business in India.

I got to know about this thru a few Restaurant owners/friends. Some of the owners do it, in some cases, the bartenders swindle it around.

How it works.

Empty bottles of premium alcohol like Red Label, Black Label, Chivas etc sell for a premium ( fetching upto 100-150 Rs for Red and Black ).

The bottles are filled with cheaper whiskey ( like Royal Stag/ No 1. etc ), and blended with some other spirits to give the taste/feel of Red/Black. The caps are resealed and supplied back.

The waiters mix these bottles in the regular stock, and keep a note of when these are opened and sold. Since these are not part of the inventory, A brand new original bottle is removed from the inventory and sold outside in the Black market, fetching the waiter and his team about 60% of the original value ( say if Red is for 1400 Rs, the black market will buy it for 700-750 Rs ).

And alcohol from these bottles is then served to unsuspecting clients. You won't die of it, they are careful to make sure that they don't mix methylated spirits or anything. But you won't be getting what you are paying for.

And generally these duplicate bottles are pushed at events where the whole gig is a bulk deal ( food + alcohol included ). So these events ( corporate or private ), that are organized at a club, restaurant are the ones to be careful in.

Any work arounds? Well to be honest, nope really, till you buy your own booze, pay for corkage, get a liquor license for your party, and ensure that you are serving original. ( Buy from a reputed liquor store, the smaller ones also keep duplicate alcohol in stock ).

Other options are, to consume liquor that cannot be duplicated really easily at such events. Beer and Vodka are at the top of the list in terms of safe options.

And please don't think it does not happen in your area/locality or the pubs/clubs your frequent. It happens nearly everywhere. I am sure there would be many others who can comment in the same vein.

So drink safe, and get what you pay for!!!

Vinny, Rockfella and WingZero like this.
  2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

While this is kinda infuriating .. but no really surprising. I think the bartenders (etc), the culprits can easily get away with it can make some easy money.

Any tips how one might be able to spot such fake liquor being sold, it can't be the exact same.

3. JD666

Inspect bottle/check the label on the bottle, can be worn/old/faded. Check the cap and look for tell tale signs of quick fix and other adhesives to re seal it.

Also if you are a really really good drinker, you might be able to tell the difference once you dilute the alcohol.

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

oh India, you keep me surprised.
    It is funny though that people could not notice. People drinking premium alcohol are very keen on taste/smell/flavour.

5. dbg

The waiters would be careful to not do it outright but would mix a fake one in a larger order.

6. Fireblade

Fireblade Trance@ddict

gotta love the benefits of license raj in this country and the f*ked taxation structure. The GOI still believes people need to be policed when it comes to alcohol and regulated for the benefit of "society" when the only ones benefiting from the stupid raises in levies each year is the Govt themselves.

The knock on effect of all these ecosystem policing, is this my friends. Only in India

7. dbg

^^ Sinners Tax as its called .. fml

8. BANHAMMER

yeah, my point is that people who drink such pricey alcohol are super duper fussy, they should be able to tell if something is even slightly wrong with their peg.

9. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

very few of the people who can afford can actually tell. rest just want to be snobs.

10. JD666

Yep. A lot of bragged about telling the difference between blenders and red, and this and that. They just could not tell the difference ( I have actually experimented this on atleast 3 occasions ).

11. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

Another reason to stick to Beer and Vodka!

Fireblade likes this.
  12. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

Another Easy way to stay clear of such fake/cheap liquor: DON'T DRINK !! :p

initpidzero likes this.
  13. BANHAMMER

yeah, drinking is root of all evils.

14. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

I don't drink but i am still evil :p

JD666 likes this.
  15. dbg

How come don't drink.. ?

16. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

I don't like anything that is mixed with alcohol :)

17. BANHAMMER

yeah, evil!!!!