Information / News Steam Machines to blur the difference between console and PC?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussions' started by JD666, Aug 24, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

The first few machines running the Steam OS would be sent to testers around October of this year. Later onwards around the start of 2015, these machines would be available from mainstream manufacturers with one main big difference. You can customize the hardware. So you can choose from a budget steam machine to a high end rig.

This was one of the baselines that Gaming PCs helped accomplish. One could build a rig on a budget and enjoy a game (obviously not with the same level of gameplay) and save the money in comparison to a console.

Heres one such design/idea from Intel -

intelnuc-640x353.jpg

This could blur HTPC/Gaming/Download Rig into one, and still be affordable and most importantly upgradeable.

Read more -

Steam Machines

SteamOS

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

@Acroback - for about 150$, the entry level models do make sense. Do look em up.

3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

They would be fun since they would be hackable. I love hackable hardware, that is why I like PC, everything wreaks of hackability.

4. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

I have used Intel NUCs as Testing machines in our Labs running all kind of servers and stuff.

They are good but they are very very finicky with what hardware you can put in.

Also, it does not come with everything apart from a Mobo, Processor and chassis with a DC supply.

If Steam is doing same, I would just pass.

It is far cheaper to get a more powerful Rig for same money.

For 150$ Valve cannot put everything in that Box.

It needs at least 8 GB of RAMs a mSATA SSD maybe and a Ultra low power but capable GPU.

That alone makes it a 350$, and processor and motherboard are not included in this.