SuperMarket Shopping done right

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by crackpot, Oct 20, 2014.

Share This Page

1. crackpot

crackpot RAID Rookie

shopping cart.jpg

Now that I have your attention, here are some tips and tricks on how to shop sensibly (learnt the hard way by yours truly) -

1 Make a list, carry a pen.

Mark off everything that's been kept. Resist urge to pick up anything else other than what's on the list.

2 Don't be swayed by offers, unless it is something that you will really use.

I don't mind picking up a jar of coffee if it has a free mug. Mugs break all the time, a spare one would come handy.

3 Check unit price, sometimes smaller units are cheaper than bigger ones.

The Missus discovered this with her favorite tea bags. The pack of 10 tea bags was actually cheaper than the pack of 50 tea bags by about 12 Rs when you would calculate price per bag. So do that little math or access the calculator on your phone to do it for you.

4 Most expensive items are generally at waist to arm height.

A common trick employed in most supermarkets that I have been to. Cheaper items will either be on the bottom shelves or on the top most shelves. Take the effort to scan these shelves for a better deal.

5 Concentrate buying fresh produce

This will not only limit your choice of buying (saving you money), but will improve your diet as well. Take the effort to buy fresh vegetables and cooking them yourselves, than going for pre cut/cooked meals etc. The difference between pre cut and whole vegetables can be as much is 3 times per kilogram. Do the math.

6 Use a small hand basket or wheelie basket. Don't take a cart

Shopping carts are getting bigger and bigger over the years, and this is in an effort to make us put more stuff in the cart till we feel that we've filled the whole cart. Be wise and use a smaller hand basket or wheelie basket. The effort of carrying it or pulling it behind you will make sure your trips are short and concise.

7 Try the freebies, but don't be tempted (obliged) to buy, unless it's really good.

That's done to appeal to our inner guilty conscience, now that we've tasted something, we are mentally obliged to buy it. I remember the pack of Green Tea I bought this way. :D Drinking it religiously now.

8 Avoid Sugary and Buttered baked items

Most Supermarkets have their own bakery/sweets section. The items on display may seem really cheap, but are not light on the fat and calories. And you are better off without em.

9 Check and compare for deals/offers beforehand

Nearly every Supermarket has some offers or the other. Shop at a supermarket that gives you points/cashback on credit card/vouchers/offers. The savings can be quite a bit.

10 Do your research

Keep switching your supermarkets every trip, once you've become used to them. Not only will you get a bigger variety of items to consider, but also get a mental idea of pricing, that allows you to compare for the best deals.

For expensive items, compare prices at 2-3 places before deciding. Sometimes the amount spent in doing the research, will be neglible compared to the savings. Moreover, sometimes, local shops offer better discounts than SuperMarkets even. Keep your eyes peeled and stay informed.

11 Keep the kids at home

One of the biggest over spending factors. Or else give them a fixed amount to spend, which not only teaches them the value of money, but also keeps them occupied with regards to what would they like to buy for themselves. This will keep you free to shop as well (Works wonderfully on my niece).

12 Check the EXPIRY date. Always

Other 2 for 1 offers generally comprise of items that reaching end of Shelf life. So check out the expiry before bundling them into your cart. Also most perishable items will have the ones expiring the soonest at the front. Not that it makes much of a difference if you are going to consume them in time, but it's always best to reach for the hard to reach items that are the back or underneath. They would generally have a longer expiry

13 Shop on a full tummy

One of the other major factors for over shopping, or not shopping right. It has been seen that we tend to pick the fattening or unhealthy items when we are hungry, since that is what our body craves for. Not to forget the unnecessary snacks we will pick up and consume while shopping. (They are after all placed so strategically by the Supermarket).

Have a meal and then go shopping. Not only will you digest some of your food in the process, but also make the right choices. Do carry a water bottle.

Img source - Kitten pushes tiny orphan in a trolley after its mother was killed crossing a road | Daily Mail Online

2. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Als0 -
    - Use that Data connection on your Smartphone to full use. Compare prices online, it is easy.
    - You can buy generic store brands for a lot of stuff you use. Saves money, especially here in US.
    - Frozen fruits and vegetables are a fine deal too.
    - Look at per unit rate irrespective of size and weight of the Item.

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I go with store generic brands for items like packaging material (cling film, Aluminium wrap etc).

However with food items I do not take the risk, since the ingredients are not always clear. I would rather go with something that lists out everything that is in there.

For e.g. Olive Oil. After the whole healthy eating boom with it everyone wants it. However with the kind of mixing that happens at source, it is but rare to get good quality olive oil.

(In restaurants here for instance, they pile on the olive oil in salads etc, however it's not where close to being olive oil).

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Go for organic food, not sure about Dubay, but in Europe if it says organic, it will be organic. Europeans are very nazi about food quality.

5. JD666

^^ Same food gets shipped here. For a price, you can have a fruit/vegetable/bread/eggs/cheese/even milk from anywhere in the world here. People spend like crazy in Supermarkets.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 20, 2014 ---
    Another point I would like to add is Shop in cash where possible. The sensation of giving out notes as payment is much harder than swiping a piece of plastic.

The next time you go shopping, you would be that much more prudent about what to buy and what not to.

6. BANHAMMER

So, what is the problem with buying organic food anyway?

7. JD666

Nothing, except that it's pretty expensive.

8. BANHAMMER

If you are not spending money on good food, what are you spending money on.
    Food >>> everything in existence.

JD666 likes this.
  9. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Try to find farmer's market in your area, we discovered a farmer's market about a year ago, it's slightly on the outskirts of the city and you need to buy in large quantities, good thing that we have enough refrigeration space. We go there every two week to buy most of the fruits and veggies, it's fun. I'll post pics, next time we go. It's all GM free and organic.

We recently also discovered a dairy supplying fresh cow milk here in Johannesburg, DUDH FTW!

JD666 likes this.
  10. BANHAMMER

Farmer's market are even better, you support local economy and buy directly from market.
    Back in India, My mother used to buy from Kaacchis, who are vegetable growers in North India.
    Here in UK, there are farmer's market at all important locations.