Advise Tata Photon Wi-Fi Hub

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Apr 15, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I have a 3 year old Tata Photon USB connection. And it kinda gets annoying now, having to hook it up everytime to my laptop/PC to connect to the net.

I had read about the Wi-Fi hub earlier, but for 5,000 Rs it was too expensive.

Tata has this selling for 2,999/- for NCR region.

I like the fact that this has about a 3 hour battery backup, so I can use it on the go, in my car, office, anyplace that I have my back pack with me.

This also allows me portability in my house ( which over 2 floors is difficult for one wifi to cover).

but the issue is, knowing how awful tata photon, and Tata's services are, has anyone used this?

Or knows anyone who has been using it? I would like a feedback before I spend on it.

Oh and the best thing, they won't port an old customer over to the hub, I'll have to buy a new connection!!

2. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

i have the micromax device mmx 400r (with a 1500mah battery). you'd be much better off with an independent device such as that one. put whatever sim you want and it's ready to go.

i don't think your home is too big for one wifi hub to cover. are you using n band? have you tried optimising the location of the device?

3. JD666

Yep, unless I put it somewhere in the stairs, it does not cover both floors properly. I get a very weak signal in the room upstairs.

What's this micromax device you speak of? :)

4. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

wifi 3g router. put a sim, turn it on - you get wifi. micro usb charging. i got it for 2200 i think.

switch from n band to g. you might see that your reception improves. n band has a bit of problem with walls.

JD666 likes this.
  5. JD666

oh ok. Well I can't change providers since my company re-imburses the bill on my Photon. So i can switch to another Tata Product only.

I thought 'n' gave better range, I'll try switching to 'g' , but it should be 'g' only right???

6. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

I have used portable router made by Huawei before, although I bought it in conjunction with Three service provider, did little research found its quite compatible with other dongles, worked fine with O2 & vodafone. I believe most of these dongles and portable routers are made by same company. It has a signal strength indicator and comes with ac/dc converter, no battery I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD666 likes this.
  7. SumitB

SumitB RAID Staff Staff Member

I have 2 micromax 400r units which I dont use anymore, if you're interested.

8. JD666

Are you carrying them with you? If yes, Sure, I would like to try out one unit atleast.

Idea has started a 950 Rs unlimited 3G plan, and I happen to have a spare Prepaid SIM lying with me. I would like to try that out to get an idea of the speed/functionality etc.

9. SumitB

SumitB RAID Staff Staff Member

You will have them as soon as I return. In Shillong, we don't get speeds above 1Mbps on any network. In Delhi, I am told that speeds upto 7Mbps are easily obtainable. Don't spend money, I will send mine through courier.

JD666 likes this.