Tata Zest and Bolt

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Jul 5, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

A second coming for Tata perhaps? From an all time high market share of about 17%, the Indian Salt to Steel manufacturing giant fell to a mere 7% this fiscal (Automotive share).

Apparently the Zest and Bolt have been 4 years in development (probably after the time the 1.2 meter excise rule came into existence). So do they have what it takes to capture the lost glory for Tata?

On paper yes. However the launch in about two weeks will reveal more on the machines.

First up - Tata Zest -

Looking at competing with the likes of the Honda Amaze, the very much established Swift Dzire, the new Hyundai Xcent and the boxy Verito, the Zest does bring a fresh dose of styling, however taking cues from the Indigo CS.

The-Zest-from-Tata-Motors.jpg

Highlights -

- Sport mode switch - With this enabled, the ECU remaps itself to a sportier more powerful setting - Very very interesting.

- Turbo Petrol - A mild turbo, but none the less a turbo. Though they've gone with an 8 valve head (2 valves per cylinder), Tata claims that the engine will breathe as well as a 4 valve cylinder engine.

- Bluetooth connectivity and the whole she-bang. Welcome indeed

- Improvement in fit and finish, feel, quality of Plastics. For Tata, this is a big step forward.

- Projection lamps, styling - Keeping it in the family, and yet being outward. I like it.

Tata is known for space, and good air conditioning. Something that I believe should be carried forward in these two vehicles as well.

The Tata Bolt -

Coming from the Indica Vista platform, this does make for familiar sights. However the major change here again is the styling, especially towards the rear. I feel it's more of a Skoda/VW Up! feel than Tata.
    I like it more from the rear than from the front, which reminds me of the Vista.

Tata bolt 4.jpg

Great interiors (if they will be what they appear to be in the images). I like the chunky steering wheel and the dashboard cluster.

Tata bolt 2.jpg

Tata bolt 3.jpg

Tata Bolt.jpg

Something that Tata has not really been able to address and that is the car appearing to be undertyred or looking as it the wheels are too skinny. I see the same issue here as well.

The headlamps are a tad too big in my opinion. Had they been styled the way Hyundai does them on the Elantra or i20, I would've lived with em. However here, they are simply too big. The rear lights look totally out of proportion with the front.

Some tech specs (Tata Zest) -

Engine Revotron 1.2T 1.3L Quadrajet
    Max Power 90PS@5000 RPM 90PS@4000 RPM
    Max Torque 140NM@1750-3000 RPM 200 NM@1750-3000 RPM
    Gear Box TA65* C549
    Wheel Base (mm) 2470 2470
    Wheel Track (mm) Front: 1450
    Rear: 1440 Front: 1450
    Rear: 1440
    Dimension (L x W x H ) (mm) 3995 x 1695 x 1570 3995 x 1695 x 1570
    GVW (Kg) 1531 1531
    Kerb Weight (Kg) 1106 1106
    Payload (Kg) 425 425
    Brakes Vacuum Assisted Independent Hydraulic;

Front: Ventilated Disc Brakes

Rear: Drum Brakes Vacuum Assisted Independent Hydraulic;

Front: Ventilated Disc Brakes

Rear: Drum Brakes
    Clutch Dry Single Plate Dry Single Plate
    Tyres R16 R16
    Steering ePAS with brushless motor ePAS with brushless motor
    Suspension Front: Dual Path Independent McPherson strut with Antiroll Bar

Rear: Semi Independent Twist beam with coil spring Front: Dual Path Independent McPherson strut with Antiroll Bar

Rear: Semi Independent Twist beam with coil spring
    Fuel Tank Capacity (Litres) 44 44

2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The Bolt looks like the result of a threeway betweeen a Swift, Figo & Indica :D

I'm liking the sporty styling + accents.
    The two tone dash look snazzy - Also in the last pic -- are those Angel eye Headlamps ??

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yes. Angel eyes.

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

More tata ugly ducklings.