The Future of Personal Computing

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by JD666, Oct 20, 2012.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Most of you would have heard the losses that Google stock encountered ( 25 Billion dollars in 5-6 hours of trading ). The company also posted a lower revenue for this fiscal.

Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook has also been reported as acknowledging that they spent so much time optimizing their Web layout/application, that the mobile version suffered as a result, and Facebook has been often criticized for not having an efficient FB mobile app.

Search results are going away from Google web search and are instead being more and more app centric, where in a person uses a particular app for movies, another for food, another for entertainment , sight seeing etc etc.

This is something which has hurt Google as well, since companies advertising with them have also reduced their budgets.

Microsoft with Windows 8 has also made the foray into tablet/pad design for personal usage, rather than a laptop/PC. The iPad and the Surface are considered replacements for everyday requirements that was earlier being fulfilled by a PC or a laptop. Now only the most dedicated of tasks require a PC/laptop.Or for that matter a tablet or an iPad etc.

More and more people are shifting all these applications / usage to their cell phones, and are more and more reliant on their first portable device ( in this case a cell phone ), and then the hierarchy to the tablet, and then ultimately to the PC/Laptop.

These thoughts are mine and collected from the web, from recent news and developments. The discussion here is, are we headed for a mobile/portable structure wherein everything will be in your cell phone, and a smart tablet like an iPad/Surface replace your PC/Laptop, and will PC/laptops be left for the most demeaning of tasks only ( like office/gaming/design etc etc ) and everything else be made portable?

If interested, we can add a poll as well.

2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

PCs are or the real deal. Everything else is just casual meh. Why would I replace my PC which can fulfill all my requirements from office, gaming, communication, browsing, designing, and work with 5 other dedicated devices.

3. JD666

You can't carry your PC around everywhere, while you can do so with your mobile device, be it accessing a recipe or finding the latest movie.

4. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Laptop?

My point was, when I'm at home and have access to a laptop/PC, it is a much more superior device compared to any phone/tablet. Obviously with the advances in portable technologies, I can do small tasks on my phone/tablet rather than on my PC, eg, when in an argument, I would earlier often look up the facts on the PC, now I just check it on the phone/tablet.

Point in case, yes, usage has gone down over time, but they are here to stay for a long time.

5. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

PC are producer devices meant for producing data, however pretty much all other devices are meant for consuming data. Laptops are miniature PC, but PCs rule.

6. JD666

And the future is in your opinion? ( as one of the masses, not one of the geeks? )

7. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member