The Get-Some-Sleep Guide for Insomniacs (Yes you!)

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by JD666, Jul 28, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Some pointers on how to maximize one other resource that is getting scarce, not just fossilized remains of dinosaurs that burn so well - Sleep.

More and more studies are claiming that humans are sleeping lesser than what they used to probably a few decades ago. And now with mobiles, tablets, laptops becoming a regular item in everyone's life, they have taken over our bedrooms as well. The only bit that has suffered is our health and our sleep.

1) Keep the silicon toys out of the bedroom -

And by silicon toys, I mean the processor, ram, keyboard, touchscreen kind ;) . Enforce a No Laptop/iPad in the bedroom rule. It'll take you a few months to get used to, but it'll be less distracting, and will keep you from wasting your precious sleeping hours on doing meaningless stuff on the Internet.

2) Have a proper desk to work at -

If you are the kind who brings work home, or likes to be online a lot, invest in a dedicated work desk. This can become the designated work spot in the house. And with a comfortable straight back chair, it'll help keep your posture right as well. The additional effort of having to get up from the bedroom to check anything, would help your fitness and also ensure that you spend lesser time with your laptop/PC.

3) The TV belongs in the living room -

I have seen a lot of people installing an additional second Television in their bedrooms. And now with LCD/LED TVs around, it has become that much easier with their slim form factor and ease of installation. This again is a reason for distraction. Can't sleep, let's see what's on the telly. And bang it's 3 am.

The light can be annoying to the other person sleeping in the room as well. So disconnect and shift that shiny TV out of the bedroom.

4) Ringing is Silver, Silence is Golden -

With Blackberry and office emails and WhatsApp chat messages, we are bombarded daily with a gazillion beeps, pings, rings, and what not. So much so that people actually report hearing them even when they are not ringing.
    First rule - Fix a time, say 7 pm - Office mobile goes silent. Check email every hour if necessary.
    Second rule - One hour before you sleep, your personal phone should be on silent. No vibration, nothing.

The peace it brings about would be unnerving at first, but when you'll find your sleep not being interrupted by a ping or a ding, you'll appreciate it when you wake up fresh as a daisy.

5) Decide and Divide -

We would obviously like our families to be able to reach us in the event of an emergency or any other calamity. Have a) them call you on your land line (yes it exists) if you have one or else b) Have a separate number that is for emergencies only, and is shared with family only. This device can be on ringer and you can be reached if needed. Inculcate the habit, that it is not used, except only for an emergency or anything urgent. Remember - Close family only.

6) Choose not to Snooze -

The Snooze button has affected our sleep more than anything. That 15 minutes of extra sleep is not worth it. You are doing more harm to yourself than good. Aptly put across in the image below -

There are two kinds of people in this world -

funny-picture-alarm-two-kinds.png

Learn and train yourself to be an One-Alarm person. The first few days that you'll sleep knowing that you have only one alarm to wake you up, your body will automatically alert you to wake up. And the first day that you get late with that one alarm, will be the last one. Just steel yourself to not go for the temptation of multiple alarms.

Waking up at that one fixed time will ensure you get proper sleep. The sleep between snoozes is only messing up our bodies more.

7) Get an alarm clock (and do not keep it close)-

Mobiles have replaced pretty much everything in our lives. And as shown above, they have affected it for the worse unfortunately.
    I have a good ol' Casio tring-a-ling. One alarm, loud enough ring alarm clock, placed on a table a few feet away from my bed. The ringing is annoying enough to get one out of bed, and the distance to be covered to shut it ensures that you get out of bed. Oh, and it'll keep your mobile phone out of your bed.

8 ) A lot can be learnt from the darkness -

Like Bane, only you'll be learning how calming and relaxing it can be. A lot of people do night shifts, and this involves them sleeping throughout the day time. Now our bodies were never intended to be worked this way. They need their sunshine, and they need their sunlight to keep their internal clocks in sync. However our jobs and responsibilities at times push us to work the graveyard shift.

Make sure your room is dark enough, even during the daytime. If there are any sources of light (window, balcony, doorway), tackle them by either covering them with black chart paper, or even Aluminium foil. We had put up Aluminium foil in one room, and not only did it reflect the heat, it also kept unwanted light from entering the room. Some people are extremely sensitive to light when they sleep, and they do not realize this, till they sleep in a proper dark room. The effect can be dramatic and you'll wake up feeling fresher in a few hours, that a whole day's sleep would not give you otherwise.

9) Sound proof your sleep -

The only source of nagging while you sleep should be your wife/husband/significant other. No other sounds should be allowed to disturb one especially while sleeping. So if you have any appliances, gadgets that make a lot of sound, shift them out of the room. Many times outside ambient noise and sound also troubles one from sleeping soundly (ironic lol). If you feel that you are affected by this, start by a) using ear plugs (yes they help a lot), and then b) investing in heavy drapes and curtains that help cut outside noise.

You can also use Thermocol sheets to sound proof a room

10) Sleep at the Right Temperature -

Not too hot, not too cool. Ensure that your room is at the right temperature conductive for a good sound sleep. Generally temperature between 22-25 degrees is good enough for a comfortable sleep. No point turning up that Air conditioner or heater to full and then either sweating it out as you sleep, or try to get warm inside that thick blanket.

Sleep with a light comforter over you and you'll have a pleasant rest. Besides you'll do the planet a favor by burning less resources.

11) Watch what you eat before you sleep -

Have a light meal, avoid food that would give you digestive issues or acidity. Alcohol again causes issue with sleep (it's good on that weekend binge only :D ). Avoid having coffee, tea or any other beverage that would either force you to be awake, or pump your body with sugar (hot chocolate).

A few bites of chocolate (the dark, less sugar kind), or a warm glass of milk works like a charm to put someone to sleep. I've personally found a shower before I get into bed pretty relaxing.

12) Lose the clothes -

Avoid wearing synthetic clothing, anything that's too tight, restrictive or uncomfortable. Take the effort to change into comfortable, soft, cotton clothes, or better no clothes ;) for that comfortable sleep.

and the most important tip -

13) Invest in a good Mattress and Pillow -

And change them at fixed intervals. We spend a lot of our lifetime sleeping. And a good bedding and pillow can only help ensure that our posture and health stays in the right condition. Get a mattress that's not too hard, nor too soft. Everyone has preferences, but going too far in one direction will only be bad for your body.
    Don't be afraid to try out a mattress at the showroom the next time you go to buy one. Just don't doze off.

Pillows should be changed at the very least once every year or so. Unless you have a suitable pillow that provides proper support to the neck and head while sleeping. I found memory foam pillows to be extremely comfortable and excellent at providing neck support.

Sleep well, Sleep right, for a better, healthy and active lifestyle.

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Finally some tips.

3. Aargee

Aargee RAID Rookie

Offlate I came across a posting from those Facebook pages giving fancy advices, lot of scifi gyan, saying that the brain (include tension or anxiety for that matter as well) that has highest activity will experience a slow pace to catch up with sleep.

So if you're one of them, I would suggest to develop a world of your own, dare to dream & imagine something that you like to do in real life but unable to due to circumstances. If you're little more creative, develop your own world, start imagining doing things that you like to do after all dreaming & imagination has no boundaries.

Start flying, save that puppy from the dog abusers, meet the fictional characters & talk to them if you ever had a chance to meet them or even save the day; if you're little more practical dreamer, try to fight corruption, punish them in your court of law, or even start living with the dream girl/boy of yours, after all, its your own world & you're the creator here.

And...please check if you can lay down & live in your imaginary world for more than 15-20 minutes without being occupied by any other thoughts ;)

Rockfella likes this.
  4. JD666

Interesting

5. BANHAMMER

I wonder if having a loads of sex helps in getting more sleep or not.

6. JD666

It does. People sleep better after a session of passion.

7. BANHAMMER

Session of passion, that is all I am going to use now sounds more steamy.

8. JD666

9. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

All are good points. My problem is not getting proper sleep but getting any sleep whenever I try to quit smoking. I won't smoke for 24 hours post workout and then the ordeal begins. I am wide awake even after getting back from work! Maybe some strong sleeping pills will help me get through the first month with ease.

10. JD666

Do the sauna for 2 days and nicotine patch routine. Should help in a few days.