Information The Most Important Software Innovations

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by fleshfragger, Aug 16, 2012.

Share This Page

1. fleshfragger

fleshfragger RAID Rookie

I was searching for some "Software Engineering" papers, and I stumbled upon this !

The Most Important Software Innovations

It identifies the most important innovations in the software fraternity, chronologically.

I found it extremely interesting, and worth sharing!

initpidzero likes this.
  2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

1982 Computer Virus A computer virus is a program that can ‘infect’ other programs by modifying them to include a possibly evolved copy of itself. While not a positive development, this was certainly an innovation. The program “Elk Cloner” is typically identified as the first “in the wild” computer virus. Elk Cloner written in 1982 by junior high school student Richard Skrenta, as a practical joke. It attached to the Apple DOS 3.3 operating system, and spread through floppy disks that were inserted afterwards. The history of computer viruses is more complicated, and some consider earlier programs named Creeper, Rabbit, or Animal as the first virus. In particular, in 1975 John Walker released ”Animal” on Univac systems with a PERVADE subroutine that caused copies of Animal to reappear elsewhere. But since it was careful to only use this to update its own software, it’s not clear that it fits the definition above, and few (other than Walker) understood the dangers of the idea. Fred Cohen later wrote academic works studying computer viruses.

3. fleshfragger

fleshfragger RAID Rookie

?