The swimming thread

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by BANHAMMER, Oct 18, 2012.

Share This Page

1. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Neat.

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

yeah, this is pretty awesome swimming pool. This facility has actually 4 pools.
    1 Diving pool
    1 50-mteres competition swimming pool, which i use.
    1 25 meter toddler/infant/beginner pool
    another 25 meter reserved pool, which i used when Brazilian Olympic team was using 50 meter pool for practice.

Diving pool is probably one of the best facilities in UK for competitive diving. I wish I could join the diving, it's fascinating to watch diving.

JD666 likes this.
  3. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Heights of the diving boards?

4. BANHAMMER

there are multiple levels, some of them are as low as 1 feet and some of them are pretty high, almost a storey or more.
    If you look at the picture you will see a Z shaped structure in the far end, that is for diving.

5. BANHAMMER

i did utilize this particular week for some swimming I did 1000, 1200 and 1000 meters in last few days. It was good fun.

JD666 likes this.
  6. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Which city are you in?

7. harryneopotter

harryneopotter NEO is my middle name ! Staff Member

lawndun !

JD666 likes this.
  8. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

More like Lunddun

9. harryneopotter

harryneopotter NEO is my middle name ! Staff Member

10. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

Summing is fun and tiring provided you dont consider the pool to be a Socailizing place. :p

45 mins of Rigerous Summming is Superb for a day. I wish Gurgoan had more heated pools for Winters,:truestory:

JD666 likes this.
  11. BANHAMMER

yeah, unlike India people mostly come to pools for swimming here. When you are swimming in lanes you cannot stop and chat. Or in other words, these pools(Guildford and Crystal palace) are professional swimming pools with coaches and their own teams. I generally can go upto 1200 meters but I know people go for 2000 meters easily.

Vinny likes this.
  12. Shatter

Shatter RAID Rookie

Swimming has to be the most rigorous cardiovascular activity which is light on your joints.
    The benefits are numerous, from increase in stamina, posture correction(Due to intense core strain), loss of weight, toning of muscles and the peace underwater. :p

Some people would agree to the fact that swimming can cause muscle loss, It can! Any other physically challenging activity can.
    What people dont realize is that proper nutrition is required to sustain the exercise along with a lot of other factors.

Enough of gyaaan! :p
    During the season, I Alternate between Breast/Free and Back/Butterfly for warmup ~ 800m
    Do drills - Hands only/Legs only, Single Hand/Single leg ~ 1k
    Cooldown - any stroke I feel like ~ 200m

initpidzero,
    That pool is the shizz!

initpidzero likes this.
  13. BANHAMMER

you do 2k in single session?

14. Shatter

Shatter RAID Rookie

More or less, yeah.
    Got me down to 74 from 84 in about 3 months. :success:

15. BANHAMMER

man, I can go upto 1.2k. Any further than that, I would be sleepless.

16. Shatter

Shatter RAID Rookie

1.2k is more than enough to keep fit. The extra is for competitive swimmers.

Ok, whats the breathing pattern you guys follow? and which ones have proven less tiring for you?

17. skindeepink

skindeepink RAID Rookie

when you guys come back to something of my understanding lemme know :D.

18. BANHAMMER

I generally do forward stroke/freestyle/frontcrawls(whatever you call it).
    I try few sprints, but mostly I am medium paced. I generally do a full lap of 100 meters. sometimes full 200 meters. But I don't think I have much stamina to carry on non stop laps. I rest about 10-15 seconds after completion of lap. I breathe on right hand stroke only, that is on alternate strokes. I find it hard to breathe on left hand stroke because I am used to right hand so much and it is stronger compared to left(please don't get any funny ideas). Though I sometimes try breathing on every 4th stroke, but that slows me down a bit. I sometimes do underwater breast strokes and backstoke, but backstrokes are bloody clumsy and I splash too much water if I do breastroke on the surface. I know for sure my techniques are pretty crap since by end of 1.2k, I cannot go any further.

This week I did 1.2k on saturday
    and 1k on sunday before I felt I would get cramps if I go any further.

19. Shatter

Shatter RAID Rookie

200m in a stretch is commendable, try doing a full out sprint after 2-3 laps maybe. This will help increase the stamina and get you some cuts :cool: . 4th stroke breathing is not recommended, your body utilizes the air taken 30secs before so if you're underwater for 30secs after taking long breathes, it wont really matter to take a breath in between cause your body takes 30 secs to synthesize the oxygen and give it to the muscles. Once you understand this, breathing becomes a breeze.

For cramps, All i can say is keep a bottle of glucose/gatorade in your lane and keep sipping on it after every 300m or so and drink a lot of water the whole day. Further measures can be to warm up by swimming at like 40% of your energy for 4 laps or so.

Splash, Sploosh Woosh woosh. Kapish?

20. BANHAMMER

that is some neat advice, I generally for the sprint on the very first lap, that is my fastest lap. I think I should start slow.
    So, you say that alternate stroke breathing is fine.
    I don't think I would be drinking any energy drink, but I do drink water but mostly after 500 meter and 800 meter and 1000 meters. My water consumption is general high( as in Indian high) and because there is no perspiration in this part of world, I have to visit loo more often than I would in India. So I tend not to drink too much water.
    I try to go for swimming without eating anything but on saturday pool starts at 10:30, I may have breakfast at about 9:00 and wait till 1:00 pm to go for swim. But back in India I used to go for swimming about 6:00 in the morning, best time to swim.