Tips for Air travellers / First time Travellers by Air.

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, May 29, 2012.

Share This Page

1. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

I'll be traveling by Lufthansa Airbus A340 - 600 for an 8 hour x 2 journey.

What would be the best seats to go for? I'm going to try and get the bulkhead aisle seat or the Emergency exit ones for more leg space. I'm 5'10", even if I wound up getting the normal seats, would there be adequate legspace?

Tagging JD666

Also, what would be your suggestion to avoid jet lag? Would you suggest the use of medication?

Do I have to lock the check-in bags?

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

3. kauffmann

JD666 - I'll be traveling to US, so the time difference would be of 10.5hours (EST). The total travel time would be of 23 hrs (Delhi - Munich - Boston - Buffalo). My stop over at Munich and Boston is of 2 hours each, do you think that's enough time to get to the next flight? Do I have go through immigration at Munich and Boston? I don't think so. I haven't taken any via flights to US, only directs, so this will be my first time. At Munich, my check-in bags should directly reach the next flight without my intervention right? What I mean to say is, I wouldn't have to check-in the bags again manually?

My check-in bag has three key locks and one combination lock in the middle http://www.americantouristerindia.com/products/esteemultra_checkin.html#, so there really isn't any place to put an extra lock. Should I check-in online? Does that help?

Also, do airlines allow passengers to take an extra sling bag along with the cabin bag? I do remember that they allow an extra laptop bag.

4. JD666

--- Post Merged: Jun 22, 2012 7:49 AM ---
    tsa_accepted_locks.jpg

kauffmann - btw the 340-600 is one of the longest aircrafts in the world, even longer than the 380 and the 747. The new 747-800 or something has now surpassed it in overall length...

5. kauffmann

JD666
    If you are a transit passenger, you won't have to go thru immigration. Since you are not entering that particular country, merely using the airport to change to another flight. However some countries do require you to collect your luggage and then check it in again. I doubt that would be the case here.

Moreover since you are flying the same airline both sectors ( one way ), then the airline will handle your luggage transition to the next flight.

Just make sure that the luggage tags are of your final port of destination ( Buffalo or Boston ).

If you have another carrier to take in boston ( eg Lufthansa taking you till Boston, and then some other carrier taking you to buffalo, then you will have to exit at Boston, collect your luggage, go thru immigration and then check your luggage again for the domestic flight. You'll have to tell me more about your carrier so as to be able to understand this.

Boy that's a relief, the last thing I want is to lug around my luggage in the two hour stop over that I have. I'll will surely keep in mind to check the luggage tags and ask the guy at the counter for appropriate ones. I'm PM'ing you my flight details, you'd be able to provide a better insight then. Btw, I've chosen the aisle seat for all flights. The Boeing 747's get too crowded with 3x3x3 in each row and sadly that's the last leg of the journey from Frankfurt to Delhi and that's what I've got the aisle seat in. From what I read the IFE would be popout from the arm rest along with the food tray, do the 747 bulkhead seats have any drawbacks? I could still choose a regular aisle seat.

Nope, if at Delhi you get the luggage tagged for Boston, then they will go direct to the Boston flight at Munich. Also you should ideally get both your boarding passes ( Delhi - Munich and Munich Boston ) at the time of check in at Delhi itself. Thats what I got whenever I flew the same carrier over a break ( Emirates for eg, I used to get DEL-DXB and DXB-LAX flight boarding passes simultaneously and same thing on the way back ).

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind while checking in. Does it help to check-in online or do I have to confirm the chosen seats while checking in online? What is a comfortable time to get to the airport (IGI) before the flight. I think since T3 has been built, the check-in times must have reduced, but I could be wrong.

Not really. TSA locks are basically there to make life easier for the passenger and the US border customs. They have special keys which allow them to open/access a TSA lock without breaking/damaging the lock. If the lock is not a TSA approved lock, that means they cannot open it, and if anything suspicious, they might even break the lock to access the contents inside. And make sure that it goes thru the zipper handles. Since your luggage is without zippers, You can either use the strap kind of TSA lock, leaving no combination lock on the suitcase itself, and using the combination on the TSA strap lock.

How much would a TSA approved strap lock cost? I'm getting mixed reviews regarding this, my friend who is a flight attendant with Air India said that I should lock the bag with the normal locks and not worry too much while my brother said that he and his wife usually leave the bags open.

I have some questions about customs that I'd like to discuss over PM with you.

PS: Thanks for the fun fact! The 747 is the double decker one right? What airlines is flying the 747 800? It's so hard to find out what version of the specific model the airlines is flying, it took me quite sometime to match the seating pattern on SeatGuru website with the Lufthansa website in order to get the best seats.

6. JD666

Gonna reply in detail. you can call me if anything urgent. got something lined up right now.

7. kauffmann

Nothing urgent as such, take your good time mate! I'm just elabroating my replies so that other people who visit the forum in the future can benefit too.

Btw, the flight from Boston to Buffalo is a Lufthansa flight operate by JetBlue, it has the same flight code as the other Lufthansa flights, i.e. LH. So is there a chance that the luggage would directly goto the next flight?

8. JD666

Some more pointers that i remembered -

- security checks -
    - Avoid wearing boots/formal shoes with thick soles since the security will almost always ask you to remove them and put them for X-Ray examination. Wear regular sport shoes if possible. Flip-Flops do work, but in the event of an emergency, are not really gonna be handy when you need to run and climb over things if necessary.

- To save time during Security check, pack your belt way before in your cabin luggage, or wear one with a non-heavy metal buckle. Thin buckle belts also skip scanning. Saves you the headache of removing and then looking all embarrassed when you gotta wear em again.

- Carry your laptop/iPad in a sleeve. This will help prevent scratches/damage when you have to take it out and put it in the scanning tray.

- I generally pack my jacket in my back pack way before scanning, so that I don't hold up the line or delay myself.

Cheers!

dbg likes this.
  9. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

can a raid rookie also give rep?

10. JD666

Yes , absolutely!

11. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

how?

12. JD666

Press the Give Reputation selection below anyone's post. You can specify the number of points you would like to give as rep for a post. :)

13. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Hyd. domestic check is not very delicate with your laptop .. :/

Flying intl seems pretty tenous..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

14. JD666

You have every right to tick em off if they don't handle it properly. It's your hard earned property. They are there to check for suspicious items and provide security, not to damage them.

15. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

I hate flying. I always get air sickness. If i don't right specially on the aircraft, but you are right if you eat light you feel good & mostly I try to sleep throughout the flight.

16. JD666

Pop an Avomine tablet 45 minutes before you fly. And keep your meals light 8-12 hrs before the flight. And stay hydrated.

idutt likes this.
  17. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Indigo Air Hostess yelled at me to "sir !! you need to turn off electronic devices .." just before take off ..
    I was listening to my iPod .. barely got the "its an mp3 player .." out before she stormed off. :/

Its only the music which keeps me calm during the take off tumble.

18. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Hahaha, they don't get the fact it isn't through RF in the air.

19. JD666

Now that the FAA is opening up with the use of electronic devices during take off and landing things should change soon.

I had to fix a lady typing away happily at her laptop with Tata photon connected. Keep typing but disconnect the damn photon at least

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

20. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

i do it sometimes it works sometimes it does not i take stemetil as well