Discussion To charge or not to charge??

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Sep 29, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Battery life is a hotly debated issue. Generally I would follow the idea of Waiting for my cell phone battery to Reach 10-20 percent and then charge it. According to an article on gizmodo, apparently if you are using lithium ion batteries, it's best to charge them once the charge reaches 50 percent for best battery life!

Which basically would entail plugging in nearly every chance I get.

Kind of confused. I would always discharge battery fully and then only charge it.

What's your take on it? What do you follow? Discharge to decently low levels and then charge or charge once it drops below 50? Or charge every chance you get?

2. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

for cell phones i would discharge to low levels most of the time but i would also charge it when it drops below 50% due to heavy usage which may happen the next day at work.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 29, 2013 ---
    for my laptop i discharge it fully & then put it on charge

3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The charge life cycle is a myth now .. where by you could only recharge the battery for say 1000 times .. so we came up with the idea of discharging fully before charging..

Now if you charge from 50% twice its counts as a 100% charge which equals to 1 Charging cycle .. thus getting the best average battery life.

JD666 likes this.