News Transparent phones

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by BANHAMMER, Feb 18, 2013.

Share This Page

1. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Has the transparent smartphone finally arrived? | The Verge

2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

snip.. this (if not the same technology) was already done by Sony or Nokia a few years ago.

Transparent displays seem gimmicky .. unless you design a transparent case + board + battery to along with it.
    Coz having just a small part of the phone which is transparent seems of little use .. you already have a rear camera if you want to use augmented reality applications.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

LG and Samsung have had transparent displays around for sometime.. However about time it got incorporated.

I envision a dual side phone, basically whichever way you take it out, the right side always faces you, and displays text in the right orientation.

4. BANHAMMER

you didn't read the whole thing did you?

5. dbg

I did.. the hurdles will certainly not be overcome this year.

6. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

^^ They will be blanking out the regions that have the battery and internal circuitry visible to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

7. dbg

Which would be quite inefficient .. a lot of the phones internal components are stacked behind the LCD .. for transparent display these components would have to either stacked around it or below it. Especially the battery which is biggest component.

8. BANHAMMER

Well, the point here is that they are trying to think about it, until we have a breakthrough it will be something which might be somewhat transparent.

9. Shatter

Shatter RAID Rookie

Imagine an environment where electricity is induced,ie, All the devices are getting power from the aura,if u may and the devices having no specific battery as such.

We would just need transparent chips and all the circuitry components or maybe thin visible circuit lines. (Something like the Screens used in Avengers)

Or all the components can be hidden on the borders of the lcd and given a nice black border as well.

JD666 likes this.
  10. dbg

Yea.. thats good n all..

Personally i'd put my money on Foldable displays which would seem more practical.

An omnipresent (inductive) charging environment is wayy ahead of transparent displays .. but for now what would be the benefit of a transparent display.

More importantly the biggest obstacle would be a transparent camera :)

11. Shatter

Shatter RAID Rookie

So what you're telling me is that the designing department of the world will not be able to find snazzy looking way to incorporate camera?

JD666 likes this.