Advise Turning off location services in Android

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Nov 21, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Okay so I am enjoying the speed of the HTC one mini and the navigation on Google maps especially.

However it's pretty annoying when I have to switch on location based services so that Google can serve me ads specially tailored to my requirements and searches.

It also collects data anonymously on my behalf which I have no control over.

Question. Is there a bypass to convince maps to work without all this? Any app that allows one to do this? I would like to use the service but without the ads being served and without all the data being collected and tracked etc

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

What type of ads are you being shown ??

Is Google MAPS showing you ads ?

Maps works in two modes, Tower Only & Tower + GPS.

In Tower only it gets your rough location based on cell towers, this is always active.

When you on GPS then you get precise location ..

For navigation you need to turn on GPS.

Can you post a screenshot of the ads you are getting.. I haven't encoutered a single ad so far.

You can turn off location reporting but Google does prompt you to turn it on..

In 4.3 it also passively keeps scanning wifi networks even when WIFI is off for location gathering.

3. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

the latest maps app has ads. which is why i am not updating my previous version which is working rather well.

there may not be a way. the only thing you can do is to keep gps off when not using maps/navigation.

4. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Ads at the top.

Ill post a screenshot the next time I'm using it.

And a forceful agreement to share my location data and other data with Google. Why The F should I do that.

@rpm - I do keep GPS off when not in use, even data when the phone is on standby (Good power saving feature in the HTC). However the nagging and constant requirement to 'agree' with their terms to use the maps is an annoyance. And it won't work without that!

5. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

gotta live with it honestly.