UEFA - Poland vs. Russia - Polish hooligans attack Russian fans in Warsaw

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by kauffmann, Jun 13, 2012.

Share This Page

1. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

When I think of the historical relation between Russia and Poland, I can't help but remember the Katyn massacre where a mass execution of Poles took place to a count of startling number estimated to 22,000.

One would expect tempers to flare high in such a duel, whether it be on the ground in a war or a sporting event like a football match, but nothing could brace me for the events that followed in Warsaw when some 20,000 Russian fans marching down the streets with Police protection were attacked by gangs of Polish hooligans. The Polish fans accuse Russians of forming small groups and targeting them. It cannot be said which side started the attacks, but what followed has no justification whatsoever. The first video I came across was uploaded by RussiaToday, the state news channel known for it's bias, so I decided to further dig a little deeper and what unraveled was a barrage of sources and videos showing what went down in Warsaw.

Football and hooliganism have known to go hand in hand, but it shouldn't spill out on the streets to ordinary fans or bystanders who have come to root for their team at a sporting event.

What happened in Warsaw is nothing short of deplorable. The match ended in a tie and bitter memories fortified, new ones etched in the history of football and Polish-Russian relationship. The animosity of both countries spilled over to Youtube, where one could read multiple comments to the tune of "We need another war", just goes to show how lightly the youth of today take the concept of War without having the slightest idea about the repercussions or the costs of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=V_DjEptoh_g (I can't embed this one for some reason)

2. SumitB

SumitB RAID Staff Staff Member

While violence of any kind is not acceptable, such brawls are common during these soccer tournaments. The bigger the tournament, the bigger the brawls. The loosing team's supporters either beat or get beaten up. Ditto for the winning team. However, in this case, the history between the two countries is to be blamed.

3. kauffmann

Till date I have seen gangs of supporters (Home and visiting) who come with the intention of taking on eachother, but this has gone to another level where ordinary fans and bystanders have been targeted.

4. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Yes, innocent bystanders should not have been targeted but.. when in a mob mentality !! nothing is logical..
    It is sad, but these things happen.. maybe there will be better sense prevailing in future..

5. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

This is absurd... And taking patriotic feeling to a whole new level for no reason.

Partially I'm guessing the reason could be booze and inflated aggression thanks to it.

There should be a Lathi charge for such people creating a ruckus.

6. ManISinJpr

The most useless feelings created by Humans are
    1. Religion
    2. Patriotism !!

remove these two and some spefics in India and we would all be happ;y !!

7. kauffmann

Patriotism isn't as much as a problem, it's only when it takes shape into the ugly form of jingoism.

SumitB likes this.
  8. ManISinJpr

It is !! coz there are no boundaries in this world and whatever boundaries the humans will create will lead to hatred and loathing !! for sure..

9. kauffmann

I'd have to differ with you on that, every individual has some affinity with the place of his birth, but in my opinion that is natural way of order. What I mean is limited structures, expanses in the form of boundaries, etc. have been the way of human life for long now, it's a natural accustomisation that one grows into from birth. As long as there have been empires or settled civilisation, man has etched boundaries and become territorial with his innate sense of ownership. I know I'm digressing here but I'm trying to explain that a world without boundaries is a utopian idea and is as defunct and meaningless as talking about a "global citizenship", as long as there are conflicts in class and ownership, there will be controlled boundaries. Marx explains it well in his theory but again Marxism is an excellent robust theory but not practical at all, it is a utopian model.

Boundaries don't breed hatred, rather lack of boundaries would breed hatered cause given the skewed resource distribution and geographical endowment, there would always be concentration of population in the naturally endowed and developed areas than it's counterpart.

Tolerance is the key here, boundaries with tolerance. When patriotism (love for one's land) turns into jingoism (my land is better than yours), that is when one should get concerned.

Further, I'd like to quote a small post I had written on the Indian Cricket world cup victory, it touches on the lines of jingoism, though not completely.
    From my tumblr

ManISinJpr likes this.
  10. kauffmann

11. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

This went a little extreme bit not close to what happens in local Italian matches, those guys go nuts, and that too over their counties. So, as kauffmann said earlier it isn't always about history or patriotism towards ones country but more of a territorial thing,something that is distinct in almost all animals, the way it has developed for human beings obviously being different than that for other animals, where it is more about protecting the territory and the food resources in it.