Advise Updating Laptop HDD

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by Duffman 2.0, Feb 2, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

I have a Dell Studio 15, bought in 2009. It's still working OK but off late, Windows has given couple of Disk Read/Write errors. Before it conks out, I want to upgrade the HDD. Currently its running the Samsung 320GB 5400rpm drive that came in it. Now I have a few queries:
    1. Can I put in a SSD ?
    2. Will it be thermally similar to a normal HDD or more/less efficient?
    3. If SSD isn't a viable option then can you list out a decent 1TB or more, 7200rpm HDD
    My laptop doubles up as WiFi access point and download machine thus need a reliable drive. Are SSHD any good? Have seen mixed views about it online?

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yes you can. It will be more efficient. Best to buy external if you want higher capacity

3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

If the interface supports SSD is your best bet.

4. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

For 1 - You can put an SSD. It would either be a direct fit, or if it's a small form factor, will fit with an adapter (generally supplied).

2 - it would consume much lesser power and put out little to no heat.

3 - For that high a capacity, a small SSD like 128 gig or something should suffice for OS. Invest in an external drive for torrenting.

SSDs have come a long way, though not sure how the frequent read would affect them.

5. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I've been using an SSD for almost 5 years now, no issues whatsoever.

Regarding fitment, almost all SATA SSDs are small form factor, the one used in laptops. Thickness might be a minor issue though, so just check the clearance on your laptop and then see the thickness of the particular SSD you plan to buy. Given, that your laptop is old, I would not invest in a large capacity HDD, rather get an external and a decent SSD, prices have come down on them quite a bit. When you decide to get rid of the laptop, you can keep the SSD and the external drive; put in your old drive and sell it as is.