VAIO Phone - VA-10J

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Mar 14, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Vaio, the erstwhile division of Sony, has now been spun off into a stand alone portable device manufacturer. Sony holds a minor stake in the company, and it (Vaio) is now headed by the investment firm, Japan Industrial Partners.

vaio_furi3_2.png

Vaio aims to bring mobile devices to the market, targeting various ends of the spectrum. Their first offering, that goes on sale in Japan (on March 20th).

img_vaio_parts.jpg

Though the device is nothing special to write about, it does mark a new step for Sony/Vaio in the mobile arena. Looks like the Z3/Z4 would be the last of the Sony offerings.

The Vaio comes with a 1.2 Ghz Quad Core processor (most probably a SnapDragon 410) and 2Gb of RAM. It has memory expandable upto 64 Gb with a MicroSD card, and stock ROM space is 16GB.

The device has a 13 MP rear camera with a 5MP front camera. One LED flash on the rear.

The good bits - It comes with vanilla Android 5.0 Lollipop, out of the box a la Moto E/G/X with no skin or UI interface on top.

Offered only in Black color, it has a Glass front and rear like the Xperia series of devices. Sony was criticized a lot for installing bloatware on their devices, so this aims to be a step away from that. A welcome move.

It supports single SIM only, and 4G LTE speeds. Wi-Fi is a/b/g and n only. No support for the new ac.

Dimensions of this device are - 71.3 × 141.5 × 7.95mm and it weighs 130 gms. That gives it the approximate dimension of the Samsung Galaxy S5, and weight of the S4

No NFC, Wireless charging or any other special offering. The battery is non-removable 2500 mAH unit.

The screen is a 5 inch 720x1280 unit, and oh -

vaio-furi.png

It is not waterproof like the Z series. Lol. Wait it gets better - The device will cost 420$ or roughly 26,500 INR. Price for a device manufactured in Japan.

Some more shots of the device before we part -

vaio-side-sd.png

vaio-ura.png

vaio-side.png

vaio-shoumen.png

Honestly, I loved the design and the concept of vanilla Android on a device. But for the pricing, this is going to be a painful purchase. I do hope this does a turn around of sorts for Vaio/Sony, and they continue to make great looking devices.

Source - 端末について | VAIO® Phone

2. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

I don't think it matters a lot whether the device is manufactured in Japan or not .We all know QC is important rest doesn't matter.
    Coming to pricing and spec ,I feel its too high.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yep, especially with the Sub 7k Brigade in full force in India.