What do you prefer? Driving in the day or night?

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Nov 23, 2012.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

So I came across this interesting discussion on HVK, I thought of getting everyone's opinion here as well.

When you go intercity, or interstate, and drive yourself, what do you prefer? Driving in the day time, or night?

I prefer driving in the night, since lesser vehicles, no stupid 2 wheeler darting suddenly across the road. Also slower traffic like Three wheelers, rickshaws, cyclists are absent in the night. So its really comfortable to cruise at a higher speed.

Yes, the only thing you do have to be bothered about are truck drivers and buses, but thats about it. You might stumble upon a sleepy/drowsy truckie here and there.

Though for those traveling with their families, I would not recommend it, since in case you have a break down, or flat then you are screwed ( Your vehicle should be in top shape to drive in the night ).

So whats your take? Day time or night?

2. harryneopotter

harryneopotter NEO is my middle name ! Staff Member

the thing i hate the most about night time driving is those Stupid damn forking HIGH BEAMS !

MOZ and JD666 like this.
  3. JD666

true dat. you have to train your eyes to look away from there, and concentrate on the road.

MOZ likes this.
  4. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I don't drive often enough yet, but this is a big hurdle for me starting driving at night time. My eyes, ahh, they burn, blinding high beams.

5. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

i don't care because for the most part i am chilling on back seat, i leave the hard work for others, lol

JD666 likes this.
  6. WingZero

WingZero RAID Rookie

ditto.

7. JD666

Well this is what you need to do. We have a tendency to look straight at the headlight glare from the oncoming vehicle. You need to train your eyes to not look at it, and to continue looking straight at the road. And if you are still blinded, keep your eyes out for the tell-tale marking signs on the road ( some roads have loads of lines and dashed lines , sadly some have none ), and concentrate on them. It will keep you in your lane, and will help you seek out the road ahead in a much better manner.

Generally flashing your high beam at the on coming vehicle does make them dip their headlights, but that does not work everytime, but can be tried as a habit. I drive mostly on low beam, but from habit over several years, drive with my finger tips on the headlight stalk and keep switching between high and low to view the road when needed and then switching to low beam.

People generally tend to leave their headlight stalk in either high beam or low, I'm guessing out of fear that frequent use might wear out the switch or some shit.

No, its designed to be abused and to be used extensively. No one uses it enough!!!

Also, never drive in one extreme side of the road ( not too close to the divider, and not too close to the kerb. Try and stay just to the right of the middle line. This allows you to swerve and avoid anything in your path in an emergency. And keeps you away from the divider concrete blocks that our people love pulling out to make a impromptu crossing and leave there for someone to hit and damage his car on.

If planning to drive in the night or to learn driving in the night, plan your trips atleast 2 hours before sunrise. So that even if it freaks one out, the sun comes out soon enough so that the trip can be resumed.

I have started trips at 8,9 11 pm in the night, to reach my destination by sun rise. But to get there, my earlier trips started at 5,4 and then 3.30 am.

There is a sense of serenity and peace that night driving brings.. Man, Machine and the Road. Its a great time to enjoy and understand your vehicle, but yes, one should be rested enough to be able to accomplish it.

Have done a lot of non stop trips ( Gurgaon - Jaipur - Gurgaon x3 , Gurgaon - Amritsar - Gurgaon x 2 , Gurgaon - Agra - Gurgaon x2 ), which are hectic, but fun in their own way.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    WingZero: 25 Points (for the info :)) Nov 24, 2012
    WingZero likes this.
  8. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

I like to drive in the after noon 0:)

JD666 likes this.
  9. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Early morning :)

JD666 likes this.
  10. Sunit JC

Sunit JC ActiveRAIDer

I have a very poor vision.. With my -4.5 specs it is really hard for me during nights :(
    I prefer early morning.. :D

JD666 likes this.
  11. JD666

Not to let that be a deterrent, lemme share that my eyesight is -6, and still driving in the night is no issue.

Sunit JC likes this.
  12. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Day time. Night time is too dangerous on Indian highways with sleepy tired truck drivers and drunk maniacs roaming in a suicide can on 4 wheels.

Also, the biggest advantage in Day time is you can anticipate the traffic since you can clearly see upto a long distance.

13. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I like to travel in Haryana roadways bus at night.

JD666 likes this.