What Equipment to carry during a road trip

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Apr 21, 2013.

Share This Page

1. sohail99

sohail99 RAID Rookie

They look like this -

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

JD666 likes this.
  2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

reminds me of crysis :p

3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

this is scorpions glove, what if there is a hidden "get over here" weapon inside it?

JD666 likes this.
  4. JD666

From the mentioned list, for Bikes I would recommend the following items -

turbo99i can surely add if I missed anything, since he was equipped for nearly any breakdown.

1) Tool Kit -

The one that comes with your bike. If you have misplaced it, just go thru the owner's manual, and it will tell you what tools to carry/have in your kit. This is the first step in preparing yourself for a long trip.

2- Spare tube/Tyre puncture kit -

Same for cars, however if you want, you can carry tyre irons with you (If you are the adventurous kind who would like to fix his own puncture). A tube puncture repair kit also comes handy, unless the puncture is a long cut or near the tube nozzle.

tire irons.jpg

Taparia is an Indian company that does make good quality and compact tire irons.

3- Air Pump -

You can either buy the cheap chinese hand operated ones for like 150-200, or go the whole hog and invest in a battery operated one. Just remember to change the front end to crocodile clips, so you can hook it up to your bike's battery. And remember to keep your bike engine idling when operating it else it will put a lot of load on the battery.

hand pump.jpg

The Hand pump is lighter, though is slightly cumbersome to stow on a bike, but does save space and weight in comparison to a battery operated pump. Oh, and it's human powered so factor in the extra effort needed :)

5. JD666

4- Spark Plugs

Since bikes mostly have a single plug, the chances of something going wrong, or misfiring is pretty high. So make sure you have spare spark plugs for your bike when you travel. If you own a Pulsar or a Royal Enfield Twin-Spark, carry the exact size and make sure you have the tools to remove the spark plug from the head.

On our recent sojourn, we found the Royal Enfield Twin-Sparks to have a voracious appetite for Spark plugs. So carry extra sets, if you planning to ride a RE.

spark plug.jpg

6. JD666

5- Chain Lube/Chain Clean -

If you are headed to desolate/empty countryside on one of the recently launched bikes like R15, Ninja250, CBR, FZ16, Fazer, Duke, Pulsar 200, Pulsar 220 etc etc, chain cleaning and lubricating equipment is necessary.

chain clean and lube.jpg

One should ideally clean the chain every 500-800 kms and lube the chain every 300-600 kms. Carry cans of each Chain Clean and Chain Lube.

6- Spare Clutch, Accelerator, Brake cables.

Especially if you riding a RE which are prone to breaking the clutch cables. A broken cable is rare, but if it occurs, and not having a spare can mean the difference between fixing the replacement in an hour and riding on your way, and putting your bike in a truck and carting it to the nearest service centre.

clutch cable.jpg

Learn to replace the clutch and accelerator cable at the service centre also. Carrying it won't suffice.

7- Spare Brake/Clutch/gear Levers (Hand and foot)

I faced this issue on my Duke 200. The brake and gear levers (foot) are made of an Aluminum casting (to reduce weight). This makes them brittle to an impact. So in the event of a spill or fall, the chances of them breaking are higher than bending, which is the case with normal metal levers.

gear shifter metal.jpg

This kind will rather bend, than break.

So ensure that you carry one of each, gear and brake lever, if your levers are of this type.

clutch lever.jpg

Also the same is applicable to Hand levers. If your clutch lever breaks during a fall, and you do not have a replacement, then you are as good as the above scenario. So ensure that you carry spare levers.

7. JD666

From the web, a very useful list of medication that can come handy while traveling -

Medicines.JPG

8. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Request: @JD666 - Could you do a Road Trip to Ladakh Prep Guide. :)

9. JD666

Interesting, can do, car or bike?

10. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Bike, few frnds are interested in riding to ladkakh but no one has Much clue about difficulties& prep involved .

JD666 likes this.
  11. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

this is a good bump.
    i approve.