Discussion What's your Mobile upgrade history?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Apr 4, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Since i was in quite a reflective mood, decided to give it a go and drafted this list. I might be forgetting some as well, but ever since the first mobile phone in 97-98, these are the phones I've owned. Not necessarily in chronological order, but from order of purchase -

Note - All pics are from the net, except for the Asha 210, which is from our own forum.

First Phone in 97-98 -

1) Alcatel OT easy - First ever phone, 2 lines of text display. The phone was water proof (Splash) and could be powered by 3xAA Duracell in an emergency as well!

001 Alcatel OT easy.jpg

2) The tried and tested, ye faithful Nokia 3310 -

002 Nokia 3310.jpg

3) My all time favourite, a phone that I still own (circa 2000). This phone won me 'the smallest phone at a party' prize back then ( Got an after shave lol!) - Nokia 8310

003 Nokia 8310.jpg

4) Then I went to college and it was cheap budget phone time, (needed the moolah for bills :p) Picked this up second hand from a shady dealer. This was made by Mitsubishi, Trium Mars. Also popular as the 'Anda' Phone, (Egg) due to its curved shape.

I broke one of the battery terminals on this phone accidentally, and that was pretty much the end of it -

004 Trium Mars.jpg

5) First Camera phone ever - The Nokia 7650 - Came into some money doing some shady jobs in college :p

Had this for barely 2 weeks when it was stolen from my room :( . This was a first in many ways. First Symbian, First Camera phone!

005 NOkia 7650.jpg

6) Got this off a senior in the hostel. Bought it second Hand back then for 3500 INR. Why I liked it? Coz it was the most unique phone in College :D and it had 6 different backlights!! Lol, the Sony A3618.

The body didn't last much and the finish was prone to getting rubbed off and the inner black plastic had started showing around the edges.

006 Sony Ericsson A3618.jpg

7) Probably the Best phone I could buy in a long long time after the 8310. The Nokia 3350. This phone was fast, the predictive was excellent, so was the keypad. The battery would give me 3hrs 20 minutes talktime flat. And in those days, this was used for a lot of free calling :D. I used to carry a spare battery and nearly 7 hours of talk time was at my disposal!

I sold this before leaving college, since i was in need of money, and I still regret it. This was an awesome phone.

007 Nokia 3350.jpg

:cool: Alcatel OT 320 - This was purchased with some deal Airtel had going on at that time. Technically, the second phone I ever lost (it fell out of my jacket while riding my bike). This was a nifty little thing, though the texting was abysmal -

008 Alcatel OT 320.jpg

9) Nokia 2100 - This was a tide over phone, till I got another one. Glad I didn't have it for long, and I offloaded it to one of my sisters :p. The keypad was horrible and so was the network senstivity/reception.

012 Nokia 2100.jpg

10) Then came CDMA time, since that time Tata Indicom had many free calling options. So it was the turn of one my first flip phones Nokia 2505 -

010 Nokia 2505.jpg

A super sleek, sexy looking phone that was a delight to hold and talk with.

11)Another CDMA I owned prior to this one (for the battery life) was the Nokia 2112 - A CDMA version of the 2110, but with a much better keypad and battery life -

009 Nokia 2112.jpg

12) Then my sis took pity on me and gifted me Motorola L7 sometime end 2006 -
    The phone was great to hold, but extensively restricted with the features, video recording could not be more than 1 minute. It would not play any other formats, and apps were heavily limited. It was good and good for only one thing. To look good.

014 Motorola L7.jpg

13) Around this time I had picked up a Nokia 1110. probably the best buy ever. Texting was awesome (Airtel had a free texting plan back then, where in for 2 rs per day you could send 100 SMS free). Without Whatsapp, it was a blessing, and this phone was a delight to type on! I loved the reverse lit screen, especially in the dark it was comfortable to use and the rugged feel of the phone.

013 Nokia 1110.jpg

14) Special mention I was always hooked onto flip phones after the 2505 and when Nokia came out with the 2650. I had to have it. The flip was okay, the rubbery skin sucked and took every color possible. The back of the flip wore out in no time and it was buh bye to Flip phones for quite sometime -

015 Nokia 2650.jpg

015 Nokia 2650 -2.jpg

15) Advent of the E Series. The Nokia E series were the new rage from Nokia, for Business applications, and the E50 was one of the first candybar phones in that range. Though the Camera was a basic 1.3 MP, the stainless steel battery cover and strong build did give it that pricey, office usage look.

016 Nokia E50.jpg

The keypad was a delight to type on, though the joystick was ok-ok. This phone served faithfully until I found....

16) The E51. One number higher can only be better right? And yes it was. The E51 built on the strengths of the E50 and took it one level higher. Crisper screen, easier keypad, better battery life, full metal body, slimmer design, more features, it was a true upgrade and evolution of a model.

NOkia E51.jpg

17) Around this time I had to take up a second number and had to buy a spare phone. Enter the short lived but compact and cute Sony Ericsson W350 -

017 Sony Ericsson W350.jpg

The Flip was okay, the annoying bit was the big ass charging port that SE used at that time. Never could get my head around it. They could've used a simpler design like Nokia.

1:cool: Around that time, I had picked up a phone Second hand from iDutt (again coz it was a flip phone). The Sony Ericsson Z550. Not a bad phone at all. Sony were eventually let down more by their UI rather than design.

021 Sony Ericsson Z550.jpg

19) After the E51, my next Nokia would be my first proper Camera phone, and something that got me hooked onto Mobile photography. I captured the Entire 2010 Auto Expo exclusively on this phone, the N79. The 5 MP sensor was awesome, and the capacitive centre roller was sluggish. The phone was ahead of its hardware and needed a better processor and RAM to utilize the functions and features fully. None the less a very good phone.

018 Nokia N79.jpg

20) My second phone meanwhile was the Nokia 5320 XpressMusic, since I needed something compact and durable. Served me well, except for the * key which died, but was promptly fixed at the service centre.

This phone was sold to TNT, one of the most unique deals of my lfe.

020 Nokia 5320 XM.jpg

21) I waited eagerly for the upgrade to the E51, the E52. Out went the N79, and in came the E52. It was a downgrade on Camera, but it was an upgrade everywhere else. First time I started using Navigation/Maps properly thanks partially to the in-built GPS receiver. The imaging was okay, but the awesome bit was the battery life! 3-4 days with regular usage!!

A phone I still miss owning -

022 Nokia E52.jpg

22) Nokia 5800 XM - I waited for 1.5 years to buy this one. Though there was nothing openly exciting about it, the prospect of being the first proper (Nokia had launched one before, 7710) touchscreen phone from Nokia was the only main reason I wanted it. And I used it so much that I ended up refurbishing it with a new battery, and body. This is still in use by my niece. Awesome kit, but again let down by the resistive screen and the slow processor.

023 Nokia 5800.jpg

23) It was time for another flip phone and Nokia had launched the 3710 to satisfy that. Average camera, good well spaced out keypad and a decent slim form factor made this a good useful phone. It was eventually taken by a friend and bought by him.

024 Nokia 3710.jpg

24) Nokia 6700 Slide - One of the premium looking phones. I bought it for it's compactness, a 5MP shooter at the back and durable metal body. Oh, and the UI was fast, really really fast and responsive. I really liked that about it.

025 Nokia 6700 Slide.jpg

25) Nokia C5 - I got this and then gave it to my sister, later when I upgraded her phone to a Lumia, I got this back and it's still with me, here. One of the best phones for texting or standby. Slim, compact and fast. A second phone I would highly recommend.

The version 2 of the C5 built on the phone and added a 5MP camera, faster processor and more Ram and ROM.

The only bit missed in this phone was the lack of Wi-Fi.

026 Nokia C5.jpg

26) Enter the Dragon - My beloved, to this day, Nokia N8. The moment this phone was announced, I knew I had to buy it. And buy it, I did. The 12MP camera with Xenon (first time for me) flash was unbelievable in the images it took. So much so that this phone traveled with me over half the world, my honeymoon, and any and all road trips I took in India.

One of my most memorable trips (Leh) were captured excusively by me on this phone only!

027 Nokia N8.jpg

Offline GPS allowed for navigation even where there was no mobile signal. There were no privacy concerns, Nimbuzz used to work great and Monopoly was one of the best games I enjoyed on this phone.

Probably 60% of all my images on Facebook are taken with this phone. I loved it so much so that when I lost it in Shanghai, I was sad, sad to the point of being upset and bought another one, one of the last pieces available as new stock in the market. It's kept carefully, charged from time to time, images taken now and then.

27) LG 230 - This was bought as a backup phone. But I liked it for 2-3 Main things - Speed, features, compactness. It was a small phone,you could operate a lot of features without having to slide it open. The battery life was great and so was the video playback. It played nearly everything I put on the card.

029 LG 230.jpg

Absolute VFM

2:cool: Motorola Razr Maxx - My first Android. Bought it when we started Raid101, since I needed something for Moderator duties and to run Tapatalk smoothly without any issues. Battery life was a concern, so I went for the biggest available. And I did not regret it at all.

028 Motorola Razr Maxx.jpg

The imaging was average, so were the maps. The UI was smooth, but importantly, the battery backup was excellent. Sold it a few weeks back for about 12K INR. I believe a recent phone by Lenovo replaces this as the new battery king.

29) Nokia Lumia 620 - My First Windows phone. This was gifted to me by the missus on my birthday last year. Did very good duty for offline Maps, however the OS was not fully developed and app support was lacking. The only downside to this phone that I felt was the battery life, which was not good, especially when you were using it for applications such as navigation.

030 Nokia Lumia 620.jpg

30) Nokia Asha 210 - Got this as a loaner from a friend, till I ended up buying it from him and sold it recently. Needed it mainly for the Dual SIM support which it performed flawlessly. Excellent battery life!

031 Nokia Asha 210.jpg

31) My second Android phone. The HTC One Mini. Absolutely love it. Right size, right feel, Right everything.

032 HTC One Mini.jpg

032) Nokia Asha 502 - Got this for doing Wi-Fi duty and Indian SIM monitoring. Used mainly for Whatsapp over Wi-Fi (which the 210 would not allow) and getting updates on my Indian Number. Pretty feature packed for the price, though the screen could be bigger.

033 Nokia Asha 502.jpg

What I really like about the phone is the size. it's probably the right size a smartphone should be (atleast for my hands).

033) Nokia Lumia 1020 - Need I say anything? it brings the best imaging and Navigation to the table. :D

034 Nokia Lumia 1020.jpg

Other notable mentions - Nokia 1202, Blackberry 9790.

Whats your upgrade history???

idutt likes this.
  2. JD666

Phew, finally finished after 3 hours!!!

idutt likes this.
  3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Wasn't there another thread like this?
    Gosh, you are a mobile hoarder. Next time they are going to ban from mobile shops.

idutt and JD666 like this.
  4. Sunit JC

Sunit JC ActiveRAIDer

My first phone was Sony Ericsson w810i. Along with it came two speakers. Damn good device for music!

1 (2).jpg 2 (2).jpg

Had to dump this because the charging port went bad. Changed it a few times but it was time to get a new phone. I still have those speakers though :p

Next came the Nokia 6303! 3.2MP camera was a big deal for me :D

3.jpg

Used this for 2 years. Then came a time when everybody had a touchscreen and I was still using this. Had to get myself a touchscreen.
    Got the almighty Motorola Atrix 2.

4.jpg

Used this for around 4 months and switched to the behemoth Note II. For me Note II will always be my favorite phone.

5.jpg

Then switched back to Atrix 2 for a few months and now holding le Nexus 5!
    nexus_5.jpeg

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 50 Points (Now that's an apt reply!) Apr 4, 2014
    idutt and JD666 like this.
  5. JD666

I'm sure there would be, I searched but could not find the thread. And this is more graphical, with tid bits of information about each phone.

Of all the phones above, I only have the 8310 (a second purchase), the C5, N8, HTC One Mini and the 1020.
    It would be fun to see more replies...

idutt likes this.
  6. Sunit JC

Sunit JC ActiveRAIDer

Look at the the first post. Damn!

Itne saare phone mere poore khandaan ne mila kar nai use kia hoga kabhi :D

Vinny, idutt and JD666 like this.
  7. BANHAMMER

Yup, he is the collector :cough hoarder :cough

8. JD666

Lol.. Not that I'm proud of it. And now from time to time I'm recollecting some more phones that I've had, a HTC S710, windows phone with slide out Qwerty.

Word of wisdom - keep a phone for minimum 2 years. Then you are deriving it's worth. Else it's waste. 3 years, even better, but current crop of phones barely manage 2.5 yrs.

Everyone in my family followed that, but me :(
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 4, 2014 ---
    A hoarder buys and keeps. I keep on switching/selling/exchanging. However the last few years have been pretty steady with the Razr, HTC One Mini, Lumia etc.

Both ways, I do feel guilty about all the moolah spent on these. Gotta sober down now.

idutt likes this.
  9. BANHAMMER

You are stocking some of those oldies somewhere in your stash? They are still with you. Don't deny it.

10. JD666

Lol.. No.. Just the ones I mentioned above..

11. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Nokia 3120 - 2005

Nokia 1100 - 2005

Nokia 3200 - 2006

Motorola W230 - 2010

Motorola DEFY - 2011

Nexus 4 - 2013

JD666 likes this.
  12. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

i had a small siemens back in calcutta forget the model no.it was small,light,easy to use.then it was sony ericcson k550i,the sony flip phone which i sold to jd.then i had nokia e63,nokia 100 & currently i have the nokia lumia 820 & asha 210.

JD666 likes this.
  13. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

i had the seventh phone from JD666's list and the SonyW810i. loved the music on this phone. also the tiny speakers were great to listen to music early in the morning :)

14. JD666

You had a 3350!!!! Phone bro!!!!

Vinny likes this.
  15. JD666

So the list has grown exponentially over the last 2 years. To add I have the following phones (used, not just purchased) -

- iPhone 5S
    - iPhone 6
    - Sony Xperia Z3
    - Sony Xperia Z3 compact
    - Redmi 2
    - Redmi 2 again (after the screen broke on the first one)
    - Redmi 3
    - Samsung A3
    - iPhone 6S

And now the current 2016 king, the S7 Edge.

Purchased (for others, not used) - Samsung Galaxy Alpha, OnePlus X

16. JD666

Swapped the 6S for a 128 Gig 6S Plus. Loving the additional battery life.

Phones purchased recently -
    - Obi SF1
    - Oukitel K10000

Other purchases (for family) -
    - Lenovo Vibe X2
    - iPhone SE

Stuge likes this.
  17. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

128gb....congrats :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk