New release Windows 10 discussion thread

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by MOZ, Oct 5, 2014.

Share This Page

1. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

So the Microsoft unveiled and made available the latest iteration of its desktop OS, Windows 10 (Skipping 9).

Right now only the technical preview of the OS is available, both in x32 and x64 versions.

This thread is for the early adopters to discuss and share their experience of the new OS.

2. MOZ

I have been using Windows 10 on one of the machines at home for the past two days, not as a daily driver but just to play around and see the things that have changed. I am certainly happy to see the direction things have gone in and it seems Microsoft is adamant in keeping up with their policy of delivering a good OS in alternate iterations and a crap one in between them; Windows 7 was without a doubt a great OS, especially when compared to Windows Vista and seemed like the true successor to Windows XP.

Windows 8 was not really that bad, but the UI shifted into a direction which really didn't make sense for desktops users. It was designed as an OS which could be used both by conventional keyboard+mouse users as well as touchscreen based users, but in the end it felt like the conventional users (Keyboard and mouse users, which Microsoft likes to call "enterprise" users) got the short end of the stick, as the UI was clunky and felt inefficient. The more flatter and minimalist look did catch on however. To be completely honest there were for only a few departments that 7 needed improvements in, primarily multi-tasking.

Windows 10, from my experience up until now does seem like the OS that should have been released as the true successor to Windows 7, there are some new multi-tasking features and the beloved start menu with search box makes a return. The horrid full screen metro/Windows "Apps" are now run like conventional programs in the desktop view and can be optionally run in fullscreen. There are virtual desktops along with showcase of the active and inactive windows.

i do not have a touchscreen Windows device, but it is my understanding, that on such devices, Windows 10 UI will be similar to the Windows 8.1 UI. This makes sense, as touch-screen device and "enterprise" users can't practical be expected to use the same UI given how both of these are two different scenarios, and let's be honest touch-screen device operation isn't optimised for efficiency, it's more for casual operation.

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Great initiative Mozie! Some screen shots would really add to the info!

4. MOZ

Yeah, will get screenshots up soon.

5. MOZ

Good decision by Microsoft to keep in mind the need of "Enterprise" users. Market share for Windows 7 is 52.71% and a surprising 23.87% for Windows XP, whilst Windows 8 and 8.1 manage an abysmal 6.67% and 5.59% respectively.

Source: Operating system market share

JD666 likes this.