Wines - Any connoisseurs here?

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by JD666, Jul 31, 2012.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Always been intrigued by the hype. I do like some, but its always been red and with some cheese or a cracker and cheese.

Anyone who could fill me in on the wine scene? What types, age, differences, right etiquette etc etc etc!

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

we wrote a program on price and age and quality of wines. I did taste some red and some white wine, they are pretty crap.

JD666 likes this.
  3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Always curious about Wine .. never got around to buying a bottle myself as I feel I need the proper Wine Glass etc etc. before .. :p

JD666 likes this.
  4. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

there are alot of wine tasting events in delhi .... maybe u could give them a try

JD666 likes this.
  5. BANHAMMER

I have held wine glasses couple of times, does that count?

JD666 and MrsJD666 like this.
  6. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Sorry !!! then you don't know your 1 from 0 in binaries if you can't distinguish !!

7. BANHAMMER

There are many things(fine things) which i can appreciate, alcohol is not one of them. i generally don't care about them anyway.

8. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

In't is ladies drink?

9. JD666

Not necessarily! I enjoy red wine in-flight and when I am in the mood for something light ( alcohol based ) to have.

10. Luciffer

Luciffer Satan Spawn Staff Member

Good taste doesn't come with a gender bias, my friend. :)

JD666 : The wine scene in India, as far as I'm concerned, is dead. :(
    Lemme explain: Wines that I used to treat as "cheap bottles of semi-decent wines" (Appox EUR2/bottle) suddenly became 1000+ Rupee bottles. :(

I went thru several Wine phases in my life.. Periods of time when I used to exclusively drink wine.
    There was a time when me and my Japanese friends in the US and in Japan used to airlift a case of Beaujolais Village Nouveau in/around Nov 15th of each year.
    There were other times when me and Ania's friends, mostly women, could consume 15-20 bottles of French Cabernet Sauvignon a night (5-10 ppl)

Too much to write about here, but here's some advise. Remember, this is an extremely subjective topic.. and NOONE is totally right or wrong on this subject.

Look for the cheapest bottles of French Cabernet Sauvignon, failing which a Merlot. If the price is much lower a Chilean wine will do.
    These are mid grade semi-dry Red wines that you really can't go wrong with to begin with. :) (THESE ARE NOT SWEET WINES)
    Goes well with pretty much any yellow cheese (no point suggesting cheeses since we're very limited in what's available here) and grapes.

BTW.. for those of you who wish to simply get drunk but haven't developed a palette for wines.. go try a bottle of PORT wine. This is a ultra Sweet Red wine that'll get you toasted.

Those of you wishing to learn about wines but are too scared/reserved to try the real things.. here's some advice for you too.
    Go get a whole bunch of fruit.. any Non-citrus fruit will do. Grapes/Apples etc.
    Now go get a bottle of Italian Chianti and soak your fruit overnight in it .. till the fruit soaks up most of the wine.
    Now.. You're not drinking, God forbid.. you're just having "Flavored Fruit" :)

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 20 Points Aug 2, 2012
    JD666 likes this.
  11. JD666

^^ Nice info there. The Port wine that you get in GOA is great for that purpose, I mean however wrap it up in like 45 minutes or it oxidizes really fast and looses its sweetness and goes bitter real fast.

Rockfella - Remember you had Port wine at my place long back ( polished off the whole bottle in no time :p )

What I am looking for is an understanding of the various types, for eg, whats chiraz and merlot? What cabernet or whatever its called. Why red and white? What goes with what? Yelp!

Rockfella likes this.
  12. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

^
    port wines are just cheap wines .. nothing special but fun to drink [still have 1 kept in the house somewhere ]

wines are made from grapes , white wine is made from red and white grapes and has a clear or yellowish ting to it , sometimes it even has a sparkling looking to it

red wines on the ither hand are red it colour , and is made from black, blue or red grapes ...
    both the wines get their colour from their skin AFAIK

and merlot and cabernet are types of grapes uesd to make red wines

there is also "rose wine " i dont really know about them, but i think its a medium between red and white ... [looks that way also ]