News Woes abound for Uber? Fair practise or unfair stiflement?

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by JD666, Dec 11, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

• Banned in Delhi, several states in India, essentially a nation wide ban
    • Ruling in Spain that the service is not permitted since it provides unfair competition
    • Being sued by the District Attorneys of SFO and LA in California for flouting state rules.

Some websites have detailed how Uber did not have an insurance policy for passengers in the event of an accident and only recent events prompted implementation of a 50,000$ insurance per passenger. This is much lesser than what a regular taxi driver must have (500,000$).

The company, which for some reason has been valued at 40 Billion dollars, has presence in 250 cities in 50 countries.

I have never used an Uber taxi, so I'm not sure how the experience is. But what I've heard from close friends here, is that they have had positive experiences only.

The issue that I see here (in the case of the recent rape in the Capital), is that the company cut corners and did not do a proper documented check on their drivers. Neither did they implement the passenger security aspect as touted by them.

Moreover the interesting tid-bit about Driver/passenger insurance does raise an interesting question. What is your coverage in the event of a Uber taxi accident?

The future is car pooling and car sharing. Which has been taken up to a decent extent by people going to the same office and living in the same localities. However as long as a third, unknown party is involved, in a country like ours, we need to take any and all precautions that we can.

I've rarely had a bad experience with a Meru or any of the other Radio cabs. Their vehicle tracking/driver screening, though not sure how effective, but does seem to be working.

Of what I can remember (could be wrong), there has been no or very few wrong incidents with a radio cab, versus private taxi operators especially those working for BPOs and Call centers.

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

they are major cvmts

3. JD666

didn't get that, but it looks like the company has finally owed up. Now to see if they pull the plug on their operations or go legit and register the right way.

Looking at the lucrative Indian market, they might have to tweak their operations, but I doubt they'll pull out.

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

They are terrible to women, they have bad and shady policies.

5. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

1. the RBI payment norms are already stifling advancements in such businesses. On demand delivery.

2. the banning of Uber is again unjustified.

6. JD666