Would Martin make the end of Game of Thrones?

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by JD666, Jun 19, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Looking at the progress on the series. (I've not read the books, just the TV Series). The dude is 65 years old. The TV series have burned thru the 3rd and some of the 4th books from what I understand. Now that leaves us with about 1.5 books left, until he comes out with his next release.

The track record so far has been 5 years per book. Considering the fact that the last book (A dance with dragons) came out in 2011, that means that the next book would be around 2016!

Even if there is a pre-release to the script writers for the TV series, we're looking at seeing all this in 2017!

They have the 2015 and 2016 seasons to fulfil, which could possibly be dragged out of the remaining 1.5 books, though looking at the plots on Wiki, I seriously doubt it.

There have been talks that he's given a general gist to the producers of the TV series so that in the unforeseen situation of his death, they can continue production and bring the story to an end.

As much as I would like to read the whole epic saga, the possibility of an unfulfilled ending, or an ending that can possibly not be finished by him, I am inclined to stay away.

Thoughts?

2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The show had already taken a few things in a completely new direction in Season 4 so we can expect the TV show to last beyond any unfortunate incident with GRRM.

Writing screenplay is much easier compared to writing a novel and let's face it the though its a great show its screenplay is just average,

Some of show's characters already are vastly different from the books so that gives the show runners some more slack in terms of plot advancement.

We can expect at least 3 more seasons of GoT before it just runs out of steam, but ultimately we should be ready to accept that there may never be an 'ending' to Game of Thrones -- Much like other critically acclaimed HBO shows.

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

Very true.. However I (and am pretty sure others would as well) would wanna see the ending. Such an epic saga needs a definitive end. Else it'll be taking a bite of the yummiest chocolate cake and not getting to swallow it. :(

4. dbg

Well how can there be an end to Game of Thrones, unless Westeros becomes a utopia ..
    There will always be a power struggle, someone trying to capture the crown - The Ruler of the 7 Kingdoms. They are doomed to repeat it for eternity.

Certain plot lines would see some resolution, revenge would be had - glory would be achieved but it would be the same, you either win or you die.

5. JD666

True, that's the eventual ploy, I get it. However like for instance, when House Baratheon had the throne, there was peace for 15 years, and much longer before that when the Targareyans ruled.

For me an end would suffice, if it would just reach the next such period of peace and quiet. Atleast we would know which house triumphs over all others in this particular war.

It's like WWI and WWII. The end of WWI was uneasy and peace was just about maintained, however WWII was the definitive war that decided, divided and brought about a finality to the whole situation.

The first rebellion was WWI, now I'm waiting for the end of this WW. :D

6. crackpot

crackpot RAID Rookie

As per a recent interview, he does sound confident of being able to finish it. And the producers are planning to end the series at season 7 or 8. They dont intend following the book completely, so a slight deviation would be in order for followers of the book and the TV show.

7. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Overhyped series. I saw True Detectives and found it good.

8. dbg

Its got the right amount of hype, let's be honest. Nothing so epic has ever been broadcast or watched by so many people globally.

TD was a sleeper hit, really raised the standard of TV ..

JD666 likes this.
  9. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

True Detective was amazing. Although I am a GoT fans, I am starting to think it is a over-the-top soap opera.

Rockfella likes this.
  10. Rockfella

I agree, so every time I watched it to see whats the hype about ... I just slept... :p

11. Rockfella

It is really. Mostly people will like junk and dance to lyrics like "Kill myself" :lol:

12. dbg

with dragons and ice zombies and bewbs.